The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
RubyGloom
I'm predicted a Grade C for maths GCSE foundation paper but i want to take maths as level only not A2...

Do you reckon i'll be ok?

In one word

NO

You will find it very very very hard, if you are not strong enough at maths to be entered for higher tier GCSE I'd really recommend you don't do AS.
Reply 2
No, I did the higher paper at GCSE and got a B. I do Maths at AS now and I find the exams really tough.
No. The easiest stuff at AS is the "difficult" stuff at Higher Tier GCSE. So if you're not good enough to do Higher Tier, then that suggests it's because you wouldn't be able to do that stuff, so I highly highly doubt that bodes well for your ability to do AS.
gdunne42
In one word

NO

You will find it very very very hard, if you are not strong enough at maths to be entered for higher tier GCSE I'd really recommend you don't do AS.

I wasn't entered for the higher teir, but ended up getting well over the grade boundary for a 'B'.. teachers aren't always right, i should've been in higher..
jjackson18624
I wasn't entered for the higher teir, but ended up getting well over the grade boundary for a 'B'.. teachers aren't always right, i should've been in higher..

How could you have been over the boundry if you sat a foundation paper which goes up to C? RE your other post, if he's doing foundation he can't get a B.

OP, I'd suggest you shouldn't do it, I know a lot of people are finding it really hard who got Bs at GCSE and while some people can do a lot better at AS than GCSE, if you aren't being allowed to sit the higher tier for GCSE you will find it even harder than normal :sadnod:
Reply 6
Don't, it'll end it tears.
letsdothetimewarpagain
How could you have been over the boundry if you sat a foundation paper which goes up to C? RE your other post, if he's doing foundation he can't get a B.

OP, I'd suggest you shouldn't do it, I know a lot of people are finding it really hard who got Bs at GCSE and while some people can do a lot better at AS than GCSE, if you aren't being allowed to sit the higher tier for GCSE you will find it even harder than normal :sadnod:

oh i forgot they phased out the Intermediate paper after 2007 when i sat my GCSEs, I assumed he/she was doing this paper... anyway, my point stands, the teachers could have got it wrong, it happens. Also if you knows your not going to be able to get higher than a 'C' then thats really off-putting..

OP if you think you'd be better than a C if you tried really hard, possibly A grade material, I think you should go for it. If not, probably not.
Reply 8
I got an A in Maths at GCSE and to be honest I found it tough to begin with. If you're getting a C because you can't be bothered (like you don't do lots of example questions) then yeah, I think that you could manage AS if you did loads of practice questions - not just before the exam but throughout the year. That's what I've done - it really really does work. On the other hand, if you're getting Cs and you do put in the effort, I wouldn't recommend doing AS Maths as the evidence doesn't show that you could cope with it.

Hope that helps :smile:
depends what grade you want AS.
if you want a decent grade....no. dont do it. if you find gcse hard enough to need to do foundation, you wont be able to do as.
also, where i am i think you needed a B gcse at least to do a level
Reply 10
RubyGloom
I'm predicted a Grade C for maths GCSE foundation paper but i want to take maths as level only not A2...

One word.......NO!:p:
RubyGloom

I highly doubt it.
Reply 12
Some of the people on this forum are complete egotistical morons. Regarding the question, I recommend you dont. Do something you are naturally better at, because you will enjoy and most probably do better at it.
Reply 13
RubyGloom

If you are really determined to boost your maths qualifications, could you do GCSE higher tier study & exams next year? Then if you do well, try for AS maths in your A2 year? I don't know how much help you'd get for this from your school/college but you could ask.
Reply 14
Id advise you not to do it. I am doing Maths AS at the moment, I am finding it fairly easy but I did the higher tier GCSE and got 100% UMS marks. I know people in my class who did higher tier are struggling a lot so I would say dont do it.

But if you really work hard, and by that I mean extra work over the summer to bring you up to higher tier standard and maybe a maths tutor, you might be ok to do it.
Lets just say I got an A at GCSE and almost cried after the first month of Maths. Finding it fine now though.
Reply 16
gdunne42
If you are really determined to boost your maths qualifications, could you do GCSE higher tier study & exams next year? Then if you do well, try for AS maths in your A2 year? I don't know how much help you'd get for this from your school/college but you could ask.

Yeah i am really determined . I'm gonna retake maths gcse next year hopefully...

I'm taking biology, chemistry, english literature and maths- i really wanna do pharmacy and i need a grade B in GCSE maths for it.. so i'm gonna have to retake!

Any tips on the fourth choice for AS (wanna do pharmacy)
Reply 17
jjackson18624

Exactly! I am in the same situation my maths teacher is just ridiculous! I'm predicted 9 A's and just a stupid C in MATHS!! :frown:
Reply 18
Master.K
One word.......NO!:p:

SHUT UP YOU NUT
Reply 19
chick93
Id advise you not to do it. I am doing Maths AS at the moment, I am finding it fairly easy but I did the higher tier GCSE and got 100% UMS marks. I know people in my class who did higher tier are struggling a lot so I would say dont do it.

But if you really work hard, and by that I mean extra work over the summer to bring you up to higher tier standard and maybe a maths tutor, you might be ok to do it.

Thanks alot :smile:

If i do decide to take it I will probably get a tutor

Latest