Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chick93)
    Id advise you not to do it. I am doing Maths AS at the moment, I am finding it fairly easy but I did the higher tier GCSE and got 100% UMS marks. I know people in my class who did higher tier are struggling a lot so I would say dont do it.

But if you really work hard, and by that I mean extra work over the summer to bring you up to higher tier standard and maybe a maths tutor, you might be ok to do it.
    Thanks Chick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RubyGloom)
    SHUT UP YOU NUT
    Truth hurts ay! :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to but in, but does anyone know how Maths AS works? I'm looking at doing it next year and wanted to give myself a head start - I'm not sure on the C1, C2 structure etc for Edexcel. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will_law25)
    Sorry to but in, but does anyone know how Maths AS works? I'm looking at doing it next year and wanted to give myself a head start - I'm not sure on the C1, C2 structure etc for Edexcel. Thanks
    All awarding bodies are pretty much the same and comprise 3 equally weighted units. C1 and C2 (which are pure maths) plus an applications unit chosen from mechanics (M1), statistics (S1) or decision maths (D1). Have a look at C1, there's a big overlap with the higher stuff in GCSE maths.

Text book:
    http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book...-Mathematics-1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    All awarding bodies are pretty much the same and comprise 3 equally weighted units. C1 and C2 (which are pure maths) plus an applications unit chosen from mechanics (M1), statistics (S1) or decision maths (D1). Have a look at C1, there's a big overlap with the higher stuff in GCSE maths.

Text book:
    http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book...-Mathematics-1
    Thanks for this. if I could get my hands on this book (and c2 and s1) I could theoretically teach myself as maths?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for this. if I could get my hands on this book (and c2 and s1) I could theoretically teach myself as maths?
    Theoretically yes. Everything you need to know is in the book and many people self teach maths. I personally don't see the point in doing the whole AS in your case since I assume you have other important GCSE exams and you'll be doing AS next year in class anyways. S1 has some tricky bits that benefit from teacher input (some of the probability and most of the normal distribution). Don't blow £50 on all the books, see how you get on with C1 first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    Theoretically yes. Everything you need to know is in the book and many people self teach maths. I personally don't see the point in doing the whole AS in your case since I assume you have other important GCSE exams and you'll be doing AS next year in class anyways. S1 has some tricky bits that benefit from teacher input (some of the probability and most of the normal distribution). Don't blow £50 on all the books, see how you get on with C1 first.
    Ah, the thing is I'm currently in Year 12 and hoping to either pick it up as an AS next year depending on how I get on with it. Thanks for your advice, I have ordered C1 already !

ReputationRep:
    Ah, the thing is I'm currently in Year 12 and hoping to either pick it up as an AS next year depending on how I get on with it. Thanks for your advice, I have ordered C1 already !
    Good luck.

The maths forum on TSR is a good source of help

Sites for past papers here:
    http://mathspapers.co.uk/edexcel.html
    or here:
    http://www.freeexampapers.com
    or here:
    http://www.mathsjoint.webs.com/
    suggest you download a collection as there's always a chance they'll be shut down.

ReputationRep:
    no

ReputationRep:
    force ure teacher to give u higher paper

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.