Actuarial training without a degree ?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
illumintai
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Does any company provide training for school leavers ?

There must be one. Training takes too much time.
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
My neighbour doesn't have a degree but I expect things have changed a bit since he qualified.

If you can show that you can pass the exams then I would have thought there would be at least one company willing to take you on. I don't really know though. Why would you want to skip doing a degree though? University is meant to be the best years of your life.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I bet there will be available. But, noone will take you on without a certificate! and arnt teh training too expensive?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Ok here is my scenerio and my advice is that if you can you should go to university but it depends what you want to.

I left school in 1999 and went to college I didn't like or feel motivated. I left

2000 - I got a job in a computer factory on a modern traineeship doing an NVQ in level 2 by a training provider. The NVQ was so easy you can pass it if you're brain dead.

Sep 2000 - Went to another college realising I need qualifcations but wanted to get a job when left.

2002 - Left college having enjoyed the last two years, all I wanted to is go to university so I did.

2002 - Start university and I can honestly say it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. Its done so much for me both personaly and academicicaly.

The expereince I have had with numerous training providers in 2000 is that they treat school leavers like dirt and a some of the people on them courses were simply very thick.

A least get some A levels behind you even if you don't want to do a degree.

Sooner or later nearly 30% of the working population will have a degree so you need to stand out.
illumintai
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Ok here is my scenerio and my advice is that if you can you should go to university but it depends what you want to.

I left school in 1999 and went to college I didn't like or feel motivated. I left

2000 - I got a job in a computer factory on a modern traineeship doing an NVQ in level 2 by a training provider. The NVQ was so easy you can pass it if you're brain dead.

Sep 2000 - Went to another college realising I need qualifcations but wanted to get a job when left.

2002 - Left college having enjoyed the last two years, all I wanted to is go to university so I did.

2002 - Start university and I can honestly say it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. Its done so much for me both personaly and academicicaly.

The expereince I have had with numerous training providers in 2000 is that they treat school leavers like dirt and a some of the people on them courses were simply very thick.

A least get some A levels behind you even if you don't want to do a degree.

Sooner or later nearly 30% of the working population will have a degree so you need to stand out.

Well thing is . I am an international student. I havent lived long enough so I need to pay 7-8 grand a year for the fee. I know how valuable degree is but the burden is too much for me and my family.

I am predicted AAA in my A-levels and those are all very academic subjects.

Oh off the topic, I am an oriental, not chinese though.Just wanna know how serious racism is in Britain...
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I am not really sure about racism as I am white and never really had it. However if you live in any of the big cities its not usualy a problem. You do get some racist biggots but in the main people don't really care what colour you are. Where I live for example is very liberal, I have black, assian, chineese neighbours and everybody just gets on fine.

I really don't think you need to worry about racisim unless you want to live some where like Oldham or Burnley where racism is supposed to be rife.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I would keep an eye on this site: http://www.actuaries.org.uk/Display_...employers.html
It looks like it is updated every month and one of the potential links is to "Opportunities for A-level entrants". Alternatively you could apply for one of the international placements that are linked to from that page.

*Or* - contact the Actuarial Proffession people directly...they'll be able to send you plenty of information about potential employers and the costs of taking the accredited exams.
*dave*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It must be really annoying being an international student. Paying fees of 7000+ really is unacceptable ... considering I wont be spending a penny. Whats probably true is that most international students would benefit the British economy in the long term as they may end up living here and paying taxes like me.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you do not get the A-level grades you want this summer, what is your likely next step?

Take autumn exams (156)
45.48%
Take exams next summer (52)
15.16%
Change uni choice through clearing (81)
23.62%
Apply to uni next year instead (38)
11.08%
I'm not applying to university (16)
4.66%

Watched Threads