Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I really want to study medicine, however due to varying circumstances I missed out on the required grades at A level.

I understand that the medical schools don't accept resits.

Is it possible to fully redo A levels (ie go to a different college and take the full 2 years again)?

Will they be able to find out that you have done that? Or will it not matter since you've done 4 A-levels during the same sitting (providing I get the grades second time round!)

ReputationRep:
    That's still completing your A levels in more than the requisite two years.

I would suggest graduate entry. Out of interest, what did you get?

ReputationRep:
    Ditto Democracy, what did you get? It's hard to help without knowing!

But yes, retaking the whole A-level still counts as resitting, and it's obvious as your A-levels will have taken four years since y11 =P unless you could say "I've been seriously ill and taken two years out".

ReputationRep:
    the unis would not know if you had not applied through ucas before (ucas keep a record) however if you got onto a med course and they found out they would throw you out and you could risk blacklisting yourself from any medschools. lying about your qualification would be documented with ucas and you would have trouble applying to any course at uni ever again. not worth the risk.

do GEP its only one year extra.

ReputationRep:
    anothe r2years of college??? really?/ putting yourself through all that again???? grad entry i think is best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emanuel_arsenalfc)
    putting yourself through all that again????
    As opposed to putting themselves through a 3 year degree?

ReputationRep:
    You could probably do different A-levels again, that would not be a resit. Although you've probably already done chemistry and biology so you can't really do that.

Also, making your old A-levels go away is probably impossible. I know that for the IB you're given a unique candidate number under which all your results are accessible. There's probably something similar for A-levels.

EDIT: Some medical schools do accept resits, check those out. Ukmedicalschools.co.uk (?) has a chart.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonymousPenguin)
    You could probably do different A-levels again, that would not be a resit. Although you've probably already done chemistry and biology so you can't really do that.

Also, making your old A-levels go away is probably impossible. I know that for the IB you're given a unique candidate number under which all your results are accessible. There's probably something similar for A-levels.

EDIT: Some medical schools do accept resits, check those out. Ukmedicalschools.co.uk (?) has a chart.
    I don't think there's any medical school which allows A Levels to be completed in more than 2 years though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    As opposed to putting themselves through a 3 year degree?
    a degree is not the same.. and the OP wouldnt be putting themselves through a degree..if the OP couldnt get the grades first time round for something competitive as medicine, then od biomedical science or go into graduate med, i just dont see the point indoing A-levels again when applications for uni are rising by the year, and its going to be tougher..i couldnt restart year 12 again at this stage.. especially being 18/19 surrounded by 16 year old class mates..

ReputationRep:
    a degree is not the same.. and the OP wouldnt be putting themselves through a degree..if the OP couldnt get the grades first time round for something competitive as medicine, then od biomedical science or go into graduate med, i just dont see the point indoing A-levels again when applications for uni are rising by the year, and its going to be tougher..i couldnt restart year 12 again at this stage.. especially being 18/19 surrounded by 16 year old class mates..
    In 3 year's time graduate entry medicine is going to be almost suicidally competitive. You make it seem like an easy route to go down but it really isn't.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there's any medical school which allows A Levels to be completed in more than 2 years though.
    I'm sure there are couple.

Yep, found the list - BSMS supposedly accepts resits. I didn't have the time to click them all but check under resit policy for every one.

BSMS: http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=163
    Index page: http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=78

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonymousPenguin)
    I'm sure there are couple.

Yep, found the list - BSMS supposedly accepts resits. I didn't have the time to click them all but check under resit policy for every one.

BSMS: http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=163
    Index page: http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=78
    Or... you could link them to the resit policies table on TSR rather than linking to an external site: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...Resit_Policies

ReputationRep:
    In 3 year's time graduate entry medicine is going to be almost suicidally competitive. You make it seem like an easy route to go down but it really isn't.
    its better than 2years of college again and then competing with 10,000 load of students..with most having A*s..

ReputationRep:
    its better than 2years of college again and then competing with 10,000 load of students..with most having A*s..
    Yeah ok. Graduate entry medicine is easier to get into than undergraduate. You're right.

ReputationRep:
    Do grad medicine. Get a first in biomed science or something.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 11, 2010

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.