Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Shopping- is that what they call a hobby these days? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9MmBulletz)
    It doesn't bother me- people are free to do what they want.
    However, if a girl (dating wise) did say one of her hobbies is shopping, I don't hold much hope or might be slightly turned off. You can hardly be interesting if you have to bring up shopping as your hobby. Doesn't make her special to be fair.
    out of curiosity, what are your hobbies?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Who knows what you'll find in the skip behind Sainsburys! :awesome:
    :p:
    Freegans, occasionally.

Though they're a bit bland, and don't usually have much meat on them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by death.drop)
    out of curiosity, what are your hobbies?
    boxing (amateur) , football (i referee and play it too),adventurous stuff ( i like climbing things- maybe should take up rock climbing),partying & having fun
    (Looking to expand)

ReputationRep:
    Technically it is a hobby, but I suppose it is quite silly, I cant stand it personally, I have enough clutter in my room without contributing further. I agree with whoever said about "getting wasted" on their profile, its taken as given now so why bother announcing

ReputationRep:
    omg DUH as someone else said shopping needs techniques

its no good if you wander around a shop for ages and ages and deciding whether you should buy this or that, you have to have the eyes of a hawk, you go in, scan all the items mentally and ask yourself, is most of the stuff butters? then leave the shop

also, finding a bargain! sometimes you can find wicked stuff stuffed away, extra brownie points for finding a bargain

ReputationRep:
    to both of you - I think that's incredibly judgemental to think that a woman who enjoys shopping is going to be unbearably dull. It's not like people are limited to one hobby.
    Who says that because she enjoys shopping she can't do anything but wander round shops spending money?
    and to hothedgehog; why should people get hobbies that involve more skill? to please you? why people seem so bothered by others doing something that they enjoy just because it's easy or they don't enjoy it themselves is beyond me.
    I think of it this way. If someone can only think of shopping as their first hobby then what the hell else do they do? I could list so so so many things before i even needed to consider mentioning that shopping was a 'hobby'. And pretty much any hobby involves a skill, even things like playing console games. You've still got to get the button combos/timing etc right. Although i wouldn't say that playing console games is a hobby of mine, if someone said they played a certain console game as their hobby, i'd think something along the lines of 'fair enough, it's not my cup of tea but you must have invested time and effort getting good at the game so fair play.' Someone who's hobby is shopping... wow, you have perfected the skill of getting something from one of those shops (they're quite rare so well done on actually finding one) and then taking it to a mythical 'till' (that's what i've heard they're called) and then giving the being that lives behind the 'till' money in exchange for taking the item out of the shop. I can't imagine the years that someone could spend perfecting the art of shopping...

ReputationRep:
    I guess it depends what you define a hobby as! I define it as something that you do in your 'leisure' time, that you enjoy and many people enjoy shopping! As for more traditional hobbies, I think it's more difficult to get into a hobby as an adult, particularly ones that involve other people and I think most people either start hobbies as a child and continue them or they start them at university.

As an adult of 22 who didn't go to university and who couldn't afford to keep up hobbies once I had to start paying for them myself, I've found that now I can afford them they all have restrictions or I simply am not free at whatever time they meet. There seem to be a lot of groups aimed at people that are retired or under 18 but not much for those in the middle and those that are, meet at stupid times! For example, I looked into starting netball and my initial problem was that a lot of groups wanted people that were skilled netball players, which I'm not and the one I found that didn't, met at 11am on a weekday when I'm at work! Plus, they're all very expensive and you generally have to be able to buy the equipment required for it and quite often be able to commit to a set course of lessons or meetings, all things which most young people now are unable to do due to working too many hours and not having enough money at the end of the day!

Saying that, I'm starting horse riding on Friday, something I had to give up as a kid due to money issues! It's going to cost me a fortune but hopefully it'll be worth it!

ReputationRep:
    Yep it is definitely a hobby!!.........should be considered a sport too!..:yep:

ReputationRep:
    to both of you - I think that's incredibly judgemental to think that a woman who enjoys shopping is going to be unbearably dull. It's not like people are limited to one hobby.
    Who says that because she enjoys shopping she can't do anything but wander round shops spending money?
    When you ask somebody what they do for a hobby, you assume that their answer is going to be their primary one. I'll find her dull because people like to talk about their favourite hobby. To me, shopping is dull. It is a set of actions to fulfill a need, taken to extreme lengths. A hobby, ultimately, should be to no end other than to improve yourself. Buying clothes doesn't improve oneself, it just provides a bigger wardrobe.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see the problem at all tbh. And you could reduce practically any hobby to sounding stupid if you wanted to, as you so cleverly did in your first post. Oh wow, fishing. Is there a skill to sitting there for hours waiting to feel the line twitch? Does it actually matter anyway, if it's what somebody enjoys?

People learn the best shops to find certain styles, looks and prices, the best times to go to a shop, the best areas for certain styles, what's in this season, what will suit them and what won't, what suits other people and what doesn't, and that's not even taking into account people interested in fashion itself as well as shopping. I'm not saying it takes a brain surgeon to do it, but it's not just grabbing the first thing you see, dumping it at the till and handing over a fistful of coins, is it?

And I agree with death.drop, there are some incredibly judgemental people in the thread. Why would shopping make someone dull? Would you be any more interested in how long it took me to reach grade 3 clarinet, or how I feel about various sociolinguistics topics? Only I'm thinking over my friends group now, and I think they'd get more out of a link to the dress I just bought than my views on Cutler's investigation into 'White Teens, Hip Hop, and African American English'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hothedgehog)
    I think of it this way. If someone can only think of shopping as their first hobby then what the hell else do they do?
    nobody said they were listing shopping as their first hobby, and even if it were their first doesn't mean it's their only.

I could list so so so many things before i even needed to consider mentioning that shopping was a 'hobby'. And pretty much any hobby involves a skill, even things like playing console games. You've still got to get the button combos/timing etc right. Although i wouldn't say that playing console games is a hobby of mine, if someone said they played a certain console game as their hobby, i'd think something along the lines of 'fair enough, it's not my cup of tea but you must have invested time and effort getting good at the game so fair play.' Someone who's hobby is shopping... wow, you have perfected the skill of getting something from one of those shops (they're quite rare so well done on actually finding one) and then taking it to a mythical 'till' (that's what i've heard they're called) and then giving the being that lives behind the 'till' money in exchange for taking the item out of the shop. I can't imagine the years that someone could spend perfecting the art of shopping...
    I don't tend to list shopping as a hobby but it is something I enjoy so I guess it is a hobby. I like to find things that I think people would really like and it does take a lot of effort and thought. I enjoy walking around shops - having a day away from home and being able to chat with someone while we take a look around. I don't think that this means I'm an insufferably dull person....

ReputationRep:
    nobody said they were listing shopping as their first hobby, and even if it were their first doesn't mean it's their only.

I don't tend to list shopping as a hobby but it is something I enjoy so I guess it is a hobby. I like to find things that I think people would really like and it does take a lot of effort and thought. I enjoy walking around shops - having a day away from home and being able to chat with someone while we take a look around. I don't think that this means I'm an insufferably dull person....
    Yeah, but I think most people would list their favourite hobby as their first one. As soon as someone comes out with shopping then I have to worry about them... well that or just walk off an ignore them.

Also, i tend to think of a hobby as somehting that you'd put regular effort into. Shopping is more of an activity. Something you'd do every now and again, not regularly.

ReputationRep:
    This. If the only thing that someone can do is to go wandering around shops spending money then there is obviously something wrong with them. People should get hobbies which involve more skill.
    Shopping requires plenty of skill. Anyone who doesn't like it is boring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrightGirl)
    Shopping requires plenty of skill. Anyone who doesn't like it is boring.
    Please enlighten me upon the skills of shopping. To me it seems that any fool can walk into a shop, choose something and buy it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ormaybeitsjustnarcissism)
    I don't see the problem at all tbh. And you could reduce practically any hobby to sounding stupid if you wanted to, as you so cleverly did in your first post. Oh wow, fishing. Is there a skill to sitting there for hours waiting to feel the line twitch? Does it actually matter anyway, if it's what somebody enjoys?

People learn the best shops to find certain styles, looks and prices, the best times to go to a shop, the best areas for certain styles, what's in this season, what will suit them and what won't, what suits other people and what doesn't, and that's not even taking into account people interested in fashion itself as well as shopping. I'm not saying it takes a brain surgeon to do it, but it's not just grabbing the first thing you see, dumping it at the till and handing over a fistful of coins, is it?

And I agree with death.drop, there are some incredibly judgemental people in the thread. Why would shopping make someone dull? Would you be any more interested in how long it took me to reach grade 3 clarinet, or how I feel about various sociolinguistics topics? Only I'm thinking over my friends group now, and I think they'd get more out of a link to the dress I just bought than my views on Cutler's investigation into 'White Teens, Hip Hop, and African American English'.
    One of the few sensible things on this thread. A lot of people, for better or worse, might say shopping is a hobby because it's not contreversial (as in, you won't sound weird for saying it) and because everyone can relate to shopping. Or you know, maybe it's just something they enjoy. Therefore........ a hobby

ReputationRep:
    Please enlighten me upon the skills of shopping. To me it seems that any fool can walk into a shop, choose something and buy it.
    But WHAT to choose. Endless possibilities. I feel like shopping now. Hmm.

I may get my card.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holly Hiskey)
    One of the few sensible things on this thread. A lot of people, for better or worse, might say shopping is a hobby because it's not contreversial (as in, you won't sound weird for saying it) and because everyone can relate to shopping. Or you know, maybe it's just something they enjoy. Therefore........ a hobby
    Thank you And likewise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ormaybeitsjustnarcissism)
    Thank you And likewise.
    No problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holly Hiskey)
    Actually, therefore it's a pastime.

If a girl starts listing her pastimes when I ask for her hobbies, well, let's just say I'm pedantic.

ReputationRep:

No, maybe I should make myself clear. I'm not talking about people who actually have an idea about fashion, the latest trends, wat goes with what etc.
    I'm talking about "party people" who like getting smashed and shopping.
    I like getting smashed myself and going out shopping when funds are available, just that I find it worrying if when you ask someone their hobbies, they have shopping and struggle to think of anything else.

Discussions on TSR

• Latest
  • Personalise
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.