Turn on thread page Beta

Shopping- is that what they call a hobby these days? watch

ReputationRep:
    I often shop simply because I find it enjoyable, but I wouldn't call it a hobby.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9MmBulletz)
    Surprise surprise it's NOT a troll.
    Do people really consider this a hobby?
    Just looked at a girl's profile and one of her hobbies include shopping. I mean seriously, is there like a technique to hold a bag, is there a perfect time to buy something. How can it be a hobby? It's almost undermining the idea of a hobby. There's things that require skill such as playing an instument and taking up a sport which I consider hobbies, or reading or stamp collecting.
    Am i missing something?
    Girls (& guys), can you explain this to me?
    Of course shopping can be a hobby! I personally spend a lot of my spare time shopping and do think of it as a hobby. I love fashion and yes there is a certain skill in choosing things that suit your shape and personality as well as knowing what is in fashion at the time.

However I also enjoy other things too, it doesn't mean that's ALL I do.

Also, I've seen some people put down sleeping as a hobby. If that's acceptable then why isn't shopping.
    Also, stamp collecting... really??

ReputationRep:
    Surprise surprise it's NOT a troll.
    Do people really consider this a hobby?
    Just looked at a girl's profile and one of her hobbies include shopping. I mean seriously, is there like a technique to hold a bag, is there a perfect time to buy something. How can it be a hobby? It's almost undermining the idea of a hobby. There's things that require skill such as playing an instument and taking up a sport which I consider hobbies, or reading or stamp collecting.
    Am i missing something?
    Girls (& guys), can you explain this to me?
    does reading require a particular technique?

It's a sad symptom of our culture, but yes it is a hobby if you do it for enjoyment in your spare time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colour Me Pretty)
    Of course there is a technique!
    It's about going at the right time, to get the best clothes.
    It's the will power to not buy crap and the mental agility to go through your wardrobe and think of what it will go with and what it won't.
    It's about spotting that item that is at the back of the shop that is different, and not the stuff at the front that everyone is wearing.
    & most importantly, finding a bargain.
    I picked up the prettiest blue dress today for only 8 pound :woo:

Shopping is something I get enjoyment from,
    and I refuse to be made to feel guilty about it
    100% agree

ReputationRep:
    Each to their own. If that is how some people like to spend their time, how they are able to unwind and enjoy themselves then so be it.

ReputationRep:
    What is a hobby to some is hell to others.

People are different. This isn't exactly a new fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Actually, therefore it's a pastime.

If a girl starts listing her pastimes when I ask for her hobbies, well, let's just say I'm pedantic.
    Hobby-n., pl., -bies.
    An activity or interest pursued outside one's regular occupation and engaged in primarily for pleasure.
    In their case, shopping is engaged in primarily for pleasure

pas·time (pstm)
    n.
    An activity that occupies one's spare time pleasantly
    Lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holly Hiskey)
    Hobby-n., pl., -bies.
    An activity or interest pursued outside one's regular occupation and engaged in primarily for pleasure.
    In their case, shopping is engaged in primarily for pleasure

pas·time (pstm)
    n.
    An activity that occupies one's spare time pleasantly
    Lol
    You go shopping primarily to acquire goods. That you derive pleasure from it is irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    boxing (amateur) , football (i referee and play it too),adventurous stuff ( i like climbing things- maybe should take up rock climbing),partying & having fun
    (Looking to expand)
    That must take so much skill :awesome:

I like shopping, but I wouldn't call it a hobby; more a pastime (if there's actually a difference?). -shrug-
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    It's a hobby; I enjoy doing it.

ReputationRep:
    You go shopping primarily to acquire goods. That you derive pleasure from it is irrelevant.
    I go shopping primarily to have a cheap day out with my friends, sometimes I buy things. When acquiring goods is my primary goal I no longer enjoy shopping.

By your logic: if someone wants to get fit and enjoys sports then sports can't be a hobby because getting fit is the primary purpose. If someone likes making things (sheds, tv cabinet etc) and enjoys the process then it can't be considered a hobby because the primary goal is to have something at the end of it. You can turn practically anything around like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by death.drop)
    I go shopping primarily to have a cheap day out with my friends, sometimes I buy things. When acquiring goods is my primary goal I no longer enjoy shopping.
    So why bother going in to town/shops? Why not just walk in the country or something?

By your logic: if someone wants to get fit and enjoys sports then sports can't be a hobby because getting fit is the primary purpose. If someone likes making things (sheds, tv cabinet etc) and enjoys the process then it can't be considered a hobby because the primary goal is to have something at the end of it. You can turn practically anything around like that.
    That depends to what end they do the sport. If they take up sport to get fit, then I'd agree, it's a means to an end. If however, they get fit as a by product of doing a sport, then it is a hobby.

It is all down to what end a person does something.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, shopping is not a hobby. I mean, you may enjoy shopping but it's not a hobby. I buy food but that's not a hobby of mine. I buy books but it's not a hobby of mine - it can't be. Now, shoes & clothes and cooking and reading yes those are hobbies. But the act of buying the materials needed is not a hobby. The shopping part is not a hobby. Rather the whole idea of concerning yourself with what you're going to wear and why and when and etc, is.

ReputationRep:
    For me shopping can be hobby but that's simply because I take a liking to fashion and enjoy trying new styles of clothing and not because I like spending huge amounts money. I don't overspend and always stick to a budget and like every hobby I do it in moderation.

ReputationRep:
    So why bother going in to town/shops? Why not just walk in the country or something?
    because I walk in the country every day. It's nice to get away from home sometimes, nice to do something a little different.
    I also do enjoy looking around at what's there, trying on ridiculous clothes and having a laugh is fun. I rarely actually buy anything.
    A hobby is something you do primarily for fun, and I'm fairly sure that the girls who list shopping as a hobby don't actually need new stuff, they just enjoy the whole process of finding something they like.

It is all down to what end a person does something.
    which was my point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deadly Lightshade)
    I consider food shopping a hobby these days.

Who knows what you'll find around the next aisle at Tesco's, who knows what the next turn of the trolley wheels will bring....

:cool:
    Me and my housemate created a game called Trolley Minesweeper. The idea of the game is pick any trolley at random in the supermarket that has been left unattended and take it to the checkout for your weeks shopping. Not only do you have to get a trolley with good food in, in your budget but also you get to watch someone rage when they can't find their weeks shop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunOfABeach)
    Lol, shopping is not a hobby. I mean, you may enjoy shopping but it's not a hobby. I buy food but that's not a hobby of mine. I buy books but it's not a hobby of mine - it can't be. Now, shoes & clothes and cooking and reading yes those are hobbies. But the act of buying the materials needed is not a hobby. The shopping part is not a hobby. Rather the whole idea of concerning yourself with what you're going to wear and why and when and etc, is.
    you're talking about buying clothes, not shopping.
    buying books to read is the same as buying clothes after shopping. The purchasing isn't the main part. In fact, a lot of girls will happily go shopping and not buy anything, just like a lot of people will read a book from the library and not have to own it.

ReputationRep:
    No no, that's what practical people go shopping for. People who like shopping ie those who list it as a hobby, go to get things that they don't need, but which make them happy. You do not walk into Gucci to fulfill a need, you do it because you are happy to look at and potentially purchase things that you find lovely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by death.drop)
    because I walk in the country every day. It's nice to get away from home sometimes, nice to do something a little different.
    I also do enjoy looking around at what's there, trying on ridiculous clothes and having a laugh is fun. I rarely actually buy anything.
    A hobby is something you do primarily for fun, and I'm fairly sure that the girls who list shopping as a hobby don't actually need new stuff, they just enjoy the whole process of finding something they like.
    Right, so when a girl says they're going shopping, they don't even need to buy anything... I don't get it, nor do I expect you to try and explain it!

(Original post by Holly Hiskey)
    No no, that's what practical people go shopping for. People who like shopping ie those who list it as a hobby, go to get things that they don't need, but which make them happy. You do not walk into Gucci to fulfill a need, you do it because you are happy to look at and potentially purchase things that you find lovely
    That's still to acquire goods though... I'm gunna go with death.drop here, that when someone lists shopping as a hobby, what they really mean is going round shops in town with mates for "teh lulz", maybe buying things if they want.

Either way, I'm bored of this thread. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I find it fun but I wouldn't call it my hobby.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.