Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent)
    TShadow383 seems like a notable exception then. And if you don't care, why do so many men moan about adverts which paint them in a bad light, despite them being intended in a lighthearted manner?
    I don't know anyone who is genuinely offended by it, mostly just pissed off because we can't poke fun at women in the same way without them getting upity. Just watch Loose Women for five minutes and you tell me if there was a mid day show in which men treated women in the way they treat men there wouldn't be uproar. I don't take adverts that paint men in a bad light; I can cook better than most women, and the best chefs in the world are almost all men, so I don't care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    I don't know anyone who is genuinely offended by it, mostly just pissed off because we can't poke fun at women in the same way without them getting upity. Just watch Loose Women for five minutes and you tell me if there was a mid day show in which men treated women in the way they treat men there wouldn't be uproar. I don't take adverts that paint men in a bad light; I can cook better than most women, and the best chefs in the world are almost all men, so I don't care.
    Funny, people on TSR seem to poke fun at women almost non-stop and most people appear to think it's absolutely fine, including a lot of girls. Wtf has your last comment got to do with anything btw, what a random attempt at gender oneupmanship :rolleyes: I play pool better than most guys, but so what? In any case the most high-up and famous chefs are men because of the cut-throat, high-pressure and testosterone-driven atmosphere in professional kitchens, it stands to reason that men are going to be more driven and aggressive and thus will be attracted towards trying to get themselves to the top. Just because someone only cooks at home it doesn't mean they can't be an excellent chef, they just haven't chosen to make it their profession.

ReputationRep:
    OOOooooohhhh I got one!

A woman walks into a bar and says "Oh hey i'm a woman and I am therefore subhuman".

Sexism ladies and gents. Sexism.

See ya later!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ciawhobat)
    Do you have any particular cases in mind? Like I said, it's meaningless to talk about "rape" cases as a single entity.

How is it "clear" that many rapists are getting away with it? Are you aware of some evidence that didn't make it into the courtroom? Roughly what proportion of rape cases should end in conviction, in your view, and on what are you basing that figure?

Regardless of that, do you have some idea of "how" we can increase conviction rates? I can only think that we could water-down the definition of rape so that an increasing number of sexual encounters qualify as "rape". Is that what you're thinking of? I don't know
    I have read many stories where it would seem the rapist got away with it, but alas, I can't be bothered to find them.

I have no idea what proportion of rape cases really should end in conviction, I just think that it is likely to be significantly higher than 6.5%. I just don't believe that many people are going around making false accusations. I don't think any watering down of the term is required.

I just think far too much blame can be put to the victim. She was flirting/drunk/clothing inappropriate/talking inappropriately are all common defences raised against accusations of rape and an attempt to cast a stain on the character of the victim. Really, they are utterly meaningless if the victim still did not consent to sex. No consent = Rape. But some people somehow have the idea that the victim is to blame in many circumstances. This is why I believe some people are getting away with it.

Do you honestly believe 93.5% of people are making the accusation up?

ReputationRep:
    I just thought of something about how men are objectified, for years we had the Diet Coke advert where loads of women come into the office to see this muscular hunky guy and the can is cold and dripping wet and despite many complaints from men it wasnt banned, then there was a similar advert with the roles reversed that was banned within days.

ReputationRep:
    I find women get a little turned on with some good old fashioned sexism providing it isn't too vulgar and they like the guy. I think because many men feel these days they need to constantly apologise for having balls, a mans man is a bit of a novelty. Of course being a man doesn't mean demeaning women but I think lots of women secretly hanker for a bit of sexism.There is a fine line though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MittenKrust)
    I just thought of something about how men are objectified, for years we had the Diet Coke advert where loads of women come into the office to see this muscular hunky guy and the can is cold and dripping wet and despite many complaints from men it wasnt banned, then there was a similar advert with the roles reversed that was banned within days.

If you want too examples of men being objectified on TV watch the commericials on channel 5. I did notice that all the ads had women looking after totally inept thick men and one had a man under a womans heel another had a man licking a toilet bowl while a woman was pouring beer down it.

I really don't think ads of a similar theme if they involved women being subservient to men would get on telly or if they did harriet harperson would be on the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyPyramid)
    I have read many stories where it would seem the rapist got away with it, but alas, I can't be bothered to find them.

I have no idea what proportion of rape cases really should end in conviction, I just think that it is likely to be significantly higher than 6.5%. I just don't believe that many people are going around making false accusations. I don't think any watering down of the term is required.

I just think far too much blame can be put to the victim. She was flirting/drunk/clothing inappropriate/talking inappropriately are all common defences raised against accusations of rape and an attempt to cast a stain on the character of the victim. Really, they are utterly meaningless if the victim still did not consent to sex. No consent = Rape. But some people somehow have the idea that the victim is to blame in many circumstances. This is why I believe some people are getting away with it.

The part in bold is very tricky, though. What constitutes "consent" (or non-consent) is hard to say, and easy to misinterpret at the time. I've never once asked a girl if she consented to me ******* her. Does anyone? It would kind of ruin the moment. She could turn around afterwards and say that she didn't want it, but felt THREATENED and SCARED because I was being so FORCEFUL or some ****. We get that kind of stuff on TSR all the time. Girls are very bad at making their wishes and intentions clear (with anything), I can imagine that misunderstandings arise.

Anyway I think that irresponsible behaviour IS something that should be brought to light, or else it just encourages women to be even more irresponsible and get themselves into all kinds of trouble, because they think that at any moment they can click their heels, say "no, thankyou," and be magically transported back home.

(Original post by CrazyPyramid)
    Do you honestly believe 93.5% of people are making the accusation up?
    I would reserve judgement on that matter, since I don't know much about rape cases and other importat statistics involved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ormaybeitsjustnarcissism)
    Let's guess, Jeremy Clarkson's fantastic too right?

I only know one other person daft enough to be anti-feminist and he quotes Clarkson like he's the frigging Bible or something.
    Eww no I hate Jeremy Clarkson - he's so big-headed...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C.C.G)
    I agree with you OP. I mean obviously I'm never being serious, I think women should be treated the same as men. But it is ******* hilarious being sexist/misogynistic around a feminist to watch her reaction.

I got this response once: "oh my god, how dare you say that about women!? we are equal to you and should be treated the same! feminism has allowed this, and there's nothing you can do about it, you misogynistic pig!"

L O L
    lmao I think I'd have just laughed in her face...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alicealice)
    lmao I think I'd have just laughed in her face...
    how sad, being a sexist pig just to offend feminists. after all they've done for you, you ungrateful cow. same goes for CCG.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deadly Lightshade)
    I have a good joke:

One day a man killed his wife, raped her corpse and **** in her mouth. The end.

You like that one?
    This is the only one I loled at :yes:

(Original post by volts)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...er/8455161.stm
    This is why feminism is needed.

I'm only commenting because this actually happened next door to me. I never met/saw the woman in question I don't think, but that house was dodgy, the people who were always there were dodgy - it's sort of a nice cul-de-sac place with mainly old people but there was constant 'parties' and random crap going on there, loads of shouting, people trying to kick the doors down etc Also whenever he had people over they did not respect the 'informal' parking rules (tut tut)- i'm carless, didn't bother me but it did my housemates. All in all, a bunch of pricks it seemed.

In anycase, even bearing that in mind, I'd need some more compelling evidence to find them guilty of gangraping someone without more than a 'he said/she said' case. If the case was purely down to credibility, in my mind she is lucky it even went to court - sad, but true. The fact is, if that is what the case boils down to it's difficult not to take what she had said in to account. Still, I wholeheartedly disagree that 'it shot her credibility to pieces' I think that is the only 'feminist' angle that could be taken - I still think if it was a gay guy in all the same circumstances, the case still would have fallen through, simply because of the lack of evidence. I sincerely hope the police and the whole system did their best in finding more tangible evidence of innocence/guilt (considering it looked like they emptied the whole house of it's contents, I assume they did anyway), but besides trying to reform the whole justice system in some way, I don't think the existence (or lack) of sexist attitudes really affected the case.

If the guys were convicted, then it might seem a little racist. Oh justice system, you can't win can you?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.