Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C.C.G)
    Nope. I still don't see how your first post is relevent to mine whatsoever. I noted the sarcasm (on the Internet, bravo) but it seems all you did was make false assumptions on what I think about feminists.

It seems you said the complete wrong thing, are now denying it, and trying to turn it around against me. Are you sure you're not a woman? :confused:
    I'm not denying I said 'the wrong thing' but aside from the part that looked to be a sarcastic joke, you implied generalisations in your post.
    For instance when talking about feminists in general you didn't say something gender neutral, you spoke of "her".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    Rape is forced penetration by the penis into the vagina. Other forced sexual behaviour is sexual assault. Whilst rape carries a heavier weight emotionally for more people as a word, sexual assault can be just as serious.

Actually that's not true, rape is not just forced penetration by the penis into the vagina, otherwise how would homosexual rape and women raping men be considered by the law? Forced penetration is rape, but IIRC UK law doesn't specify that it has to be a penis penetrating a vagina.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoreleiLee)
    Actually that's not true, rape is not just forced penetration by the penis into the vagina, otherwise how would homosexual rape and women raping men be considered by the law? Forced penetration is rape, but IIRC UK law doesn't specify that it has to be a penis penetrating a vagina.
    Homosexual rape is a term that whilst has rape in it, by definition isn't.
    Rape can be done of course by women, they may be forcing the man's penis into their vagina. If I denoted that the man was doing the forcing then I apologise, as that would be wrong.
    At least I think that's right, it's what I've been brought up to associate with the word.

Rape:forced sexual intercourse.
    Sexual intercourse:The penis entering the vagina.
    Unless the term is broad enough to include anal?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not denying I said 'the wrong thing' but aside from the part that looked to be a sarcastic joke, you implied generalisations in your post.
    For instance when talking about feminists in general you didn't say something gender neutral, you spoke of "her".
    Oh, right. Well I wasn't really talking about feminists in general, just my personal past experiences with them, and they all happened to be female. Anyway, let's stop spamming this thread.

ReputationRep:
    Actually the 'femi' part of the word comes about because men have been in a dominant position. As a result the fight for equality was about promoting women's rights, as men already had such rights.
    Why would you need to fight for someone to have rights they already have? That wouldn't make any sense.
    I am happy to admit that feminism was needed in the 60s and 70s, but not any more. Men are just as unequal as women today, but in different ways. All the happiness tests point to women actually being happier than men in society, indeed men commit suicide at a rate of about 3-4x more. The shameless promotion of one sex is leading to greater inequality.

ReputationRep:
    feminism is about men and women being equal.
    Sexism is about discriminating against someone because of they are male of female.
    :toofunny:

(Original post by Elipsis)
    I am happy to admit that feminism was needed in the 60s and 70s, but not any more. Men are just as unequal as women today, but in different ways. All the happiness tests point to women actually being happier than men in society, indeed men commit suicide at a rate of about 3-4x more. The shameless promotion of one sex is leading to greater inequality.
    This, basically.

ReputationRep:
    Homosexual rape is a term that whilst has rape in it, by definition isn't.
    Rape can be done of course by women, they may be forcing the man's penis into their vagina. If I denoted that the man was doing the forcing then I apologise, as that would be wrong.
    At least I think that's right, it's what I've been brought up to associate with the word.

Rape:forced sexual intercourse.
    Sexual intercourse:The penis entering the vagina.
    Unless the term is broad enough to include anal?

Ah you're so right about the man/woman point - apologies for missing it. The definition of rape that I use was given to me by a policewoman - it is penetration but does include fingers, dildo, vibrator etc. I don't know how 'legal' this is but I know that her station uses it.

ReputationRep:
    Because happiness = being equal:rolleyes: .
    Now at not point have I said "women should have more rights" in this thread, but that doesn't mean I'm not a feminist. If men were in an unequal position with regards to rights I'd campaign for their (our) rights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    :toofunny:

This, basically.
    What's too funny about what I said?

ReputationRep:
    What's too funny about what I said?
    Feminism these days has nothing at all to do with equal rights, it's got to the stage where equal rights isn't exciting enough any more so modern feminists are just about putting down men.

Edit - Feel like I need some sort of source for this claim... Harriet Harman anyone? Our "Minister for women and equality" (notice there's not one for men and equality, or just one for equality...)

ReputationRep:
    Because happiness = being equal .
    Now at not point have I said "women should have more rights" in this thread, but that doesn't mean I'm not a feminist. If men were in an unequal position with regards to rights I'd campaign for their (our) rights.
    That isn't what I was implying; what i'm saying is surely the mens side needs more attention rather than the womens if it is men who are suffering more in society. Men are currently unequal, as unequal as women. Therefore your promotion of oneside over the other is ruining the equilibrium. As you say, you would campaign for mens rights, so why not call yourself egalitarian? The widespread feminism in this society, which isn't balanced at all by any male groups, means that women do have more rights and occupy a priviledged position in society.

Definitions of egalitarian on the Web:
    • a person who believes in the equality of all people

ReputationRep:
    That isn't what I was implying; what i'm saying is surely the mens side needs more attention rather than the womens if it is men who are suffering more in society. Men are currently unequal, as unequal as women. Therefore your promotion of oneside over the other is ruining the equilibrium. As you say, you would campaign for mens rights, so why not call yourself egalitarian? The widespread feminism in this society, which isn't balanced at all by any male groups, means that women do have more rights and occupy a priviledged position in society.

Definitions of egalitarian on the Web:
    • a person who believes in the equality of all people
    Egalitarianism goes hand in hand with feminism, I know it's definition, but this thread isn't about racism, classism, and depending on the definition of 'personhood' speciesism/ageism., but instead of the gender divide.
    How happy most men are or are not does not mean women are equal or unequal.

ReputationRep:
    Feminism these days has nothing at all to do with equal rights, it's got to the stage where equal rights isn't exciting enough any more so modern feminists are just about putting down men.

Edit - Feel like I need some sort of source for this claim... Harriet Harman anyone? Our "Minister for women and equality" (notice there's not one for men and equality, or just one for equality...)
    See my posts on usage and if it's being used correctly or not.

ReputationRep:
    Egalitarianism goes hand in hand with feminism, I know it's definition, but this thread isn't about racism, classism, and depending on the definition of 'personhood' speciesism/ageism., but instead of the gender divide.
    So, according to you, endlessly promoting the rights of one group, whilst shunning the rights of another goes hand in hand with promoting equality?
    Loving the logic there.

ReputationRep:
    I see this thread is pretty heated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O-Ren)
    In the past you have said things about women that are absolutely horrific. At one point you compared expecting a woman to be interesting to be like complaining a cat does nothing but purr and sleep.
    Yea, how is that "horrific" ahaha. I don't find women 'interesting', simple as that.

(Original post by O-Ren)
    Edit: and I also think it's incredibly sad you are dumb enough to think certain behaviours are 'masculine' or 'feminine'. The difference between men and women is that they have different bodies.
    "Bodies" including or not including their brains?

(Original post by O-Ren)
    There is no 'masculine' or 'feminine' way to be except what society dictates is so. If a woman wants to have a career then why is that a problem? She's not being a man she's being herself. And true feminists are not saying all women should behave in a way that's stereotypically male, they are trying to break down prejudice, so that women can behave in whichever way they like regardless of whether it's stereotypically 'male' or 'female'.
    It's impossible not to impose or dictate ideas and ambitions upon people, though. We would all have to just stop communicating at all, and sit and shrug whenever a child asked for advice, terrified that we might be seen to be FORCING them in some HORRIFIC direction. A woman who lives a manly life today is being no more herself than if the same woman lived 100 years ago and was a submissive housewife. In either case, she got the ideas from somewhere. The notion that she's being independant and free-thinking is just like a 14 year old emo thinking he's unique and not following the crowd.

ReputationRep:
    So, according to you, endlessly promoting the rights of one group, whilst shunning the rights of another goes hand in hand with promoting equality?
    Loving the logic there.
    Unless I'm mistaken (and I'll guess from the content of your post I am) egalitarianism is about equality. If it's not then my post will have taken on a whole new set of meanings.
    On the other hand if you think feminism is about shunning the rights of another group that would be a mistake.

ReputationRep:
    Unless I'm mistaken (and I'll guess from the content of your post I am) egalitarianism is about equality. If it's not then my post will have taken on a whole new set of meanings.
    On the other hand if you think feminism is about shunning the rights of another group that would be a mistake.
    Egalitarianism is about equal rights.
    Modern Feminism is about promoting women as the superior sex.
    They aren't really compatible.

ReputationRep:
    Egalitarianism does not go hand in hand with feminism at all. Feminism, as I said already, never has and never will do anything for men. It is there solely to promote female issues, and furthermore to stop any male issues ever reaching parliament or the media. Although egalitarianism encompasses things aside from the gender divide, that's ok, because feminism shouldn't be able to pull the combined effort of society towards just their causes - as they have been able to for the last half century. The gender divide is equal, and we need each others help, so i'm proposing we work together. An innequality in happiness - the point of living - is more important than inequalities anywhere else in society.

ReputationRep:
    Give me one prominant example of a feminist group working for mens rights exclusively in the name of egalitarianism. You won't find one beacuse it doesn't happen. Feminism is about promoting womens rights exclkusively, that has nothing to do with egalitarianism.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.