Turn on thread page Beta

A question of student finance and college fees watch

ReputationRep:
    I just received a letter saying that if I'm registered with student finance, the university will pay for the college fees (over 4 thousand pounds). However, I do not want to get a student loan, so my question is, can I apply to student finance and not get a loan? or do I have to take out a loan for Cambridge to pay for the college fees?
    thank you

ReputationRep:
    College fees are above and beyond tuition fees. They are extra. Unless you can pay the tuition fees of £3290 yourself you'll need a loan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    College fees are above and beyond tuition fees. They are extra. Unless you can pay the tuition fees of £3290 yourself you'll need a loan.
    But I can pay myself, and if I apply to student finance, the university will pay college fees... bleh. confusing.

ReputationRep:
    Then apply for a student loan but where it asks how much you want to borrow put £0.

ReputationRep:
    it makes economic sense to take the student loan if you have the cash in hand as you do not have to start paying the loan back until you reach certain criteria. Meanwhile you could take the finance and earn interest in the bank on it because at present they are applying 0% interest to their loans

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by number12)
    it makes economic sense to take the student loan if you have the cash in hand as you do not have to start paying the loan back until you reach certain criteria. Meanwhile you could take the finance and earn interest in the bank on it because at present they are applying 0% interest to their loans
    0% is only until Sept 10.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same boat with college fees. As I understand it you have to register with student finance and simply not apply for a loan. You also have to register so that you don't get hit with the ELQ fees, I think, but this second statement may not be correct.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can apply to Student Finance, the reason they ask you to do this is because some Universities adapt the same eligibility policies as SLC, as said above on the Loan Request Forms within the PN1/PR1 form you just enter £0. You would then receive a notification letter showing what your entitled to and what you are borrowing (which would be £0), this is the letter the Uni is interested in.

ReputationRep:
    ok, cheers everyone

(Original post by AnonymousPenguin)
    I'm in the same boat with college fees. As I understand it you have to register with student finance and simply not apply for a loan. You also have to register so that you don't get hit with the ELQ fees, I think, but this second statement may not be correct.
    thanks, but what are ELQ fees?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anotheregostar)
    ok, cheers everyone

thanks, but what are ELQ fees?
    ELQ = Equivalent or lower qualification. It happens if your degree is not publicly funded, because it's not your first one. Honestly, I don't know whether you'd get these fees if you don't register, but it seems a logical extension of not being able to prove public support.

Anyway, just register and you should be fine.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.