The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

top 10%...there was over a 100 people in my year and I was easily in top 10!

Plus I've got a silver in the a-level maths challenge thing...so that puts me in quite a high percentage bracket. If you do a bell curve and don't use % it obviously becomes a different matter.
Reply 181
vas876
So you are amongst the top 600,000 minds in the UK

With the likes of Stephen Hawkings, Stephen Fry, Prof Brian Cox

Are you insane? You don't even have a degree yet, you can be no higher than the top 10% at the moment.

600,000 is an awful lot of people, further you are confusing knowledge with intelligence, and you also are assuming you know me better than I know myself. You don't need a degree to be intelligent, you need a degree to be qualified. Did socrates have a degree? No. Was he one of the smartest men who ever lived? Yes.
Reply 182
Hugh-Jackman
top 10%...there was over a 100 people in my year and I was easily in top 10!

Plus I've got a silver in the a-level maths challenge thing...so that puts me in quite a high percentage bracket. If you do a bell curve and don't use % it obviously becomes a different matter.

:wink:
O-Ren
:wink:

yeah but English means nothing.....it's all about maths and everyone knows that.
Reply 184
Top 3 Selected Bluuuuuuuud.
I'd rate myself as a good average really. I said 60-70% as I'd liek to think I'm quite intelligent but definitely not top % high.
Reply 186
Exams and IQ tests are not an indication of intelligence.
Not quite top 10%. Judging on GCSE and A level results.

I'm reasonably smart, got nearly the top grades in my school at GCSE and i'm at the top of my class at college. But i know sooo many people who are much much smarter than me. Many of them on here as it seems lol

Plus i'm far too lazy to be very smart =)
So 52.9% of people polled think they're in the top 10%! :p: But given the nature of TSR it's actually probably not far from the truth (especially given that 10%=6.5 million people, really not that impressive).
Somewhere in the region of 50,000 students admitted to the top 10 universities in the country each year. This means that in the UK there are approximately 2.5 million people who are attending/have attended a top 10 university, which is less than 5% of the population. Top 20 --> less than 10%.

Before you say anything, I do appreciate that obviously there are lots of highly intelligent people who don't attend a top university, but seeing as I would guess that this is what most people here would use as a rough guide, it's hardly surprising that the majority of TSR users would count themselves in the top 10% since most of them are attending/attended/planning to attend a top 20 university.
Reply 190
Clearly in the top .05% :p: in terms of things like drawing and in class's like English etc im not really great/smart but im good at electronics nd maths :biggrin:
Reply 191
Hugh-Jackman
yeah but English means nothing.....it's all about maths and everyone knows that.

Do they? I thought I was in the top 30%, however if only maths were important I'd most definitely be in the bottom 10% :cool:
Meagz
Exams and IQ tests are not an indication of intelligence.

They're not the definitive test, but they're definitely a start.
That said, the range of results I've had has been quite wide - 147-162 on four different tests, which I ended up taking after the local school board wanted to put me back a year because I wasn't paying attention (I was still getting As but was accused of cheating a lot) - went to an educational psychologist who said I most likely had mild ADHD and was bored because of the class moving slowly... she also tested my IQ at 158. Was a fun day bringing that letter back to my old head teacher :p:

Anyway, that's horribly off topic, but I agree with you to some extent, I have some friends who are fairly intelligent but not "book smart" and have IQs accoring to that crappy facebook app of 105-115 or so.
vas876
So you are amongst the top 600,000 minds in the UK

With the likes of Stephen Hawkings, Stephen Fry, Prof Brian Cox

Are you insane? You don't even have a degree yet, you can be no higher than the top 10% at the moment.

A good example of a TSR user who is certainly not in the top 10% bracket. To be frank, anyone that has an offer from Cambridge to study maths and is predicted A*s at A level is almost certainly within that 10% bracket.

Rubgish
600,000 is an awful lot of people, further you are confusing knowledge with intelligence, and you also are assuming you know me better than I know myself. You don't need a degree to be intelligent, you need a degree to be qualified. Did socrates have a degree? No. Was he one of the smartest men who ever lived? Yes.

Quite right.
Reply 194
generic hybrid
I automatically consider anyone who claims to be in the smartest 1% of the population to also be in the nobbishest 1%.

This, tbh.
Reply 195
Top 10% probably. Obviously can't have any real idea though. But, well, the UK has a lot of people.
Reply 196
Top 20%
What is intelligence? I can write well and I am good at science, but can't do woodwork for ****.......is a dyslexic craftsmen less intelligent than a writer who can't even chop wood in half? :holmes:
Reply 198
I have taken some...I don't know what they are...test things measuring your abilities at manual tasks, numerical, etc, etc. The results said that I was in the top 10% for many of the things and top 20% for the rest. I've put 80%-90% because I feel top 10% seems a bit bigheaded of me to say haha :laugh:
Also, LOVE the spread of results! :wink:
Reply 199
Top 10% on intelligence but probably closer to top 2% on education. I'm very educated (3 degrees and all that) but I'm not an intellectual.

Latest

Trending

Trending