Turn on thread page Beta

In what % bracket of the UK Population, would you deem your intelligence to be in? watch

• View Poll Results: What percentage bracket do you fall in, in your opinion?
    90%-100% (Top 10%)
    51.75%
    80%-90%
    15.09%
    70%-80%
    14.29%
    60%-70%
    9.30%
    60%-50%
    2.43%
    50%-40%
    1.21%
    40%-30%
    0.40%
    30%-20%
    1.21%
    20%-10%
    1.62%
    10-0 (Bottom 10%
    2.70%

ReputationRep:
    It depends how you are calculating intelligence.

I was asked to join mensa when I was younger and my IQ is around 145. I don't know where that puts me?

But I definitely don't feel like I'm as clever now as I was when I was a child. I was in the top 1% in national testing throughout my schooling but I feel that declined from age 16! Lol. So now I'm probably pretty stupid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    :rofl:

You're quite obviously not in the top 1%.

There are around 620,000 people in the UK in the top 1%. There are only a handful of people who go to university before the age of 16, certainly nowhere near 620,000. There is nothing particularly exceptional about being in the top 1% and I have no doubt that many members of TSR are.
    This^
    In a reasonably sized school, say 1000 students, about 10 will be in the top 1%, and not all of them will be doing degrees early. I have done a real IQ test and it says I'm in the top 1%, but I'm not a genius lol.
    I would have quoted and replied to the offending post, but it's not there anymore...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobifier)
    Top 1%? That's one in a hundred people is cleverer than you. It's actually not that remarkable given the size of the population.
    Quite. Heck, when you consider the sheer cognitive ineptitude of the majority of the population, even the top 0.1% probably aren't all that remarkable.

ReputationRep:
    There is no way you can measure intelligence... it has no limits

ReputationRep:
    I'd say maybe top few percent. I'm not super smart but I am pretty sharp at lots of things, particularly language and analysis.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I have changed my mind since yesterday.

I'm going back to top 0.01% - although this could be the stella talking XD

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, as long as you're not a complete moron, you'll probably be in at least the top 20%. The majority of the population are complete troglodytes who revel in their own stupidity.

ReputationRep:
    I have absolutely no idea. I do often wish I were more intelligent, but I'm just better at certain subjects than others and wished to be an all-rounder. I probably have other useful skills. And I like to hold a decent conversation, am going to uni after all...

If I had to pick, 70% maybe? Can't say I've ever thought about it either. =/

ReputationRep:
    my IQ's in the top 1% according to Mensa :cool: so that's what I'm judging by .. although I don't really think you can rate someone's intelligence in percentages
    Also loving how going by the poll results, the majority of TSR is majorly overestimating their intelligence :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I think in the top 5%, but intelligence and academic performance means **** to me....I only care about money making and my ability to earn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XDaydreamer)
    my IQ's in the top 1% according to Mensa :cool: so that's what I'm judging by .. although I don't really think you can rate someone's intelligence in percentages
    Also loving how going by the poll results, the majority of TSR is majorly overestimating their intelligence :lol:
    Aren't you guilty of doing exactly the same? As has been pointed out numerous times already in this thread, IQ test scores =/= intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadigmShift)
    Aren't you guilty of doing exactly the same? As has been pointed out numerous times already in this thread, IQ test scores =/= intelligence.
    Well to be honest, people will have to make judgements on their intelligence in some way to respond to this thread. I'd imagine IQ and grades are probably the best ways to objectively measure intelligence, since we have no definitive indicator of intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't want to seem too big headed, so I went for the 70% mark.

ReputationRep:
    I think the problem is defining intelligence. IMO intelligence is the ability to learn things quickly, and apply what youv'e learnt to knew situations. I would also say the creative side of problem solving is often overlooked. I'm not talking about writing a play or painting a pretty picture, but being able to formulate your own ideas and lines of thinking.

ReputationRep:
    I am possibly the most smartest person that has ever lived

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HpFreak_Amy7192)
    Well, I am in Mensa, so IQ wise I'm in the top 2% at least. However I'd say I was a bit lower than this.

What we have to remember: Einstein wasn't that good academically (apparently he originally wanted to be a geographer but found it too hard so turned to physics as a substitute) but the guy had a pretty impressive IQ.
    Seriously?
    I'm sure he contributed more to physics in one day then a lot of physicists do in a lifetime.
    . His many contributions to physics include the special and general theories of relativity, the founding of relativistic cosmology, the first post-Newtonian expansion, explaining the perihelion advance of Mercury, prediction of the deflection of light by gravity and gravitational lensing, the first fluctuation dissipation theorem which explained the Brownian movement of molecules, the photon theory and wave-particle duality, the quantum theory of atomic motion in solids, the zero-point energy concept, the semiclassical version of the Schrödinger equation, and the quantum theory of a monatomic gas which predicted Bose–Einstein condensation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chloeee02)
    Hmmm I'd say top 10% for me butt if you think about it, being in the top 1% isn't thatt big of a deal (not Einstein like).
    If you have a year of 300 people and you're in the top 3, that's top 1%. Which is actually me at my school...but I know it's not necessarily the same amongst the general population.
    Write "but" with one "t". Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I'm informed i'm in the top 5%.... this is lies/I'm really not utilising it.... but i put top 10 nevertheless

ReputationRep:
    Top 0.01%

ReputationRep:
    This poll just confirms how arrogant I suspected most TSR users to be. Anyone who thinks they're in the top 10% is ******* dellusional! A-Levels aren't summary of your intelligence, students. :woo:

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.