Turn on thread page Beta

In what % bracket of the UK Population, would you deem your intelligence to be in? watch

• View Poll Results: What percentage bracket do you fall in, in your opinion?
    90%-100% (Top 10%)
    51.75%
    80%-90%
    15.09%
    70%-80%
    14.29%
    60%-70%
    9.30%
    60%-50%
    2.43%
    50%-40%
    1.21%
    40%-30%
    0.40%
    30%-20%
    1.21%
    20%-10%
    1.62%
    10-0 (Bottom 10%
    2.70%

ReputationRep:
    I chose 70-80 maybe a tad more at a push
    oh dear...
    either TSR is full of VERY clever people
    or some people must think a lot of themselves

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amelialynch)
    This poll just confirms how arrogant I suspected most TSR users to be. Anyone who thinks they're in the top 10% is ******* dellusional! A-Levels aren't summary of your intelligence, students. :woo:
    To be in the top 10% of the UK, you have to be in the top 6000000 people. I think it's highly likely most people who voted top 10% in the poll are really in the top 10%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amelialynch)
    This poll just confirms how arrogant I suspected most TSR users to be. Anyone who thinks they're in the top 10% is ******* dellusional! A-Levels aren't summary of your intelligence, students. :woo:
    Google says (assuming that you accept IQ tests as a reasonable measure) that you have to have an IQ of 120 or above to be in the top 10%. I am sure that there are many such people on TSR, of all places.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Rubgish)
    600,000 is an awful lot of people, further you are confusing knowledge with intelligence, and you also are assuming you know me better than I know myself. You don't need a degree to be intelligent, you need a degree to be qualified. Did socrates have a degree? No. Was he one of the smartest men who ever lived? Yes.
    You missed the point!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Elementric)
    A good example of a TSR user who is certainly not in the top 10% bracket. To be frank, anyone that has an offer from Cambridge to study maths and is predicted A*s at A level is almost certainly within that 10% bracket.

Quite right.
    :facepalm:

Yes because good knowledge and application of Mathematics = High Intelligence.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So you see, it is not me who most certainly is not in the top 10%, but you!

ReputationRep:
    top 0.1%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    You missed the point!
    I'm pretty sure your point was I couldn't be in the top 600,000 because I didn't have a degree and aren't a professor/tv presenter . And yet you have no idea how intelligent or otherwise I am. Once again I would suggest you are confusing intelligence with knowledge or possibly experience. By the time you are 11/12 your intelligence is generally fairly fixed. Obviously your knowledge increases vastly from the age of 11/12 onwards but your overall intelligence does not change much. A 5 year old can be as intelligent as a 25 year old, but the 25 year old will simply be vastly more knowledgeable.

ReputationRep:
    Probably somewhere above 80%
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'm pretty sure your point was I couldn't be in the top 600,000 because I didn't have a degree and aren't a professor/tv presenter . And yet you have no idea how intelligent or otherwise I am. Once again I would suggest you are confusing intelligence with knowledge or possibly experience. By the time you are 11/12 your intelligence is generally fairly fixed. Obviously your knowledge increases vastly from the age of 11/12 onwards but your overall intelligence does not change much. A 5 year old can be as intelligent as a 25 year old, but the 25 year old will simply be vastly more knowledgeable.
    My Point was there are more than 600K people who have a higher IQ than you.

Simple

ReputationRep:
    It depends what area. For anyone who actually cares and is reading this stuff;
    In maths and physics and engineering sort of thing, then probably the top 10-20%ish, most people wouldn't be looking at getting a 2:1 or first from a very good uni in enginering.
    In general ability all round in total, maybe the top 10%, I'm quite versatile.
    In philosophy, I think probably the top 5% I cruised an A at A-level and am inspired by it and have a natural ability.

If however you went into IQ, then I'd probably be a bit lower, maybe top 25% somewhere. Or common sense, I'm a bit... no, a lot.. lacking sometimes.
    Or in actual 'general knowledge' I'd probably even be at 50-60th percentile region, I only remember random crap, im like an information seive.

On the whole I do consider myself to be a fairly intelligent person, although I am humble in my successes and gracious in my failures. I know my weaknesses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    My Point was there are more than 600K people who have a higher IQ than you.

Simple
    1. That's not true
    2. IQ is not a reliable or accurate measure of intelligence
    3. You clearly don't understand the concept of intelligence compared to knowledge if you think IQ is a good test of intelligence
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    1. That's not true
    3. You clearly don't understand the concept of intelligence compared to knowledge if you think IQ is a good test of intelligence

I dont think IQ is a good measure of intelligence but it is one of the only ones.

Either way you have no way of proving your intelligence is in the top 10%.

So who cares.

ReputationRep:
    The vast majority of TSRians should be selecting top 10%. The country is populated and, on the whole, far less 'intelligent' than an average student on TSR.

I think some people might be underestimating their intelligence having compared it with others on TSR rather than the country at large.

ReputationRep:
    1. That's not true
    What do you think is a good measure of intelligence? I'm not trying to be critical, it's just that you said you'd be in the top 1%, so you must be basing that on something. Surely with no definitive guide to what intelligence is, using IQ is probably the best estimate we have?

ReputationRep:
    If intelligence is fixed by 12 - would you like to take the liberty of explaining why graduates would learn a topic that's completely new to them at a faster rate then a population of 12 year olds.

Answers on a post card.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    What do you think is a good measure of intelligence? I'm not trying to be critical, it's just that you said you'd be in the top 1%, so you must be basing that on something. Surely with no definitive guide to what intelligence is, using IQ is probably the best estimate we have?
    The guy is an immature 17 year old.

With an ego far larger than his penis.

/rant.

ReputationRep:
    The Average IB student is in the top 10% for intelligence in the country.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Max Hinks)
    The Average IB student is in the top 10% for intelligence in the country.
    :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    i am number 789765

ReputationRep:
    Top 0.1%. Truthfully (accurately).

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.