Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

In what % bracket of the UK Population, would you deem your intelligence to be in? Watch

• View Poll Results: What percentage bracket do you fall in, in your opinion?
    90%-100% (Top 10%)
    51.75%
    80%-90%
    15.09%
    70%-80%
    14.29%
    60%-70%
    9.30%
    60%-50%
    2.43%
    50%-40%
    1.21%
    40%-30%
    0.40%
    30%-20%
    1.21%
    20%-10%
    1.62%
    10-0 (Bottom 10%
    2.70%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moregano)
    125 puts you in around the top 5% according to Google :yep:
    what would 189 be then???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    I dont think IQ is a good measure of intelligence but it is one of the only ones.

Either way you have no way of proving your intelligence is in the top 10%.

So who cares.
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    What do you think is a good measure of intelligence? I'm not trying to be critical, it's just that you said you'd be in the top 1%, so you must be basing that on something. Surely with no definitive guide to what intelligence is, using IQ is probably the best estimate we have?
    It is one of the only empirical tests, however i'm basing my guess about my own intelligence on the various hundreds of people I have conversed with in my life. Out of those people, it seemed to me that I was more intelligent than nearly all of them. I grasp anything explained to me quickly, I spot patterns, I solve problems quickly, I have good hand-eye co-ordination etc. etc. You must understand that this is merely a personal opinion, but I am far better placed to make the judgement than you are to deny it. If you wish to say you yourself are in the top 1%, I will not deny this merely because I find it unlikely.

The guy is an immature 17 year old.

With an ego far larger than his penis.

/rant.
    Yep, fail to come up with a decent argument so resort to insulting the size of the other persons penis. You are definately helping yourself :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JChoudhry)
    If you got 189 in a proper IQ test, then you're a complete genius I think.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Thats Worldwide

ReputationRep:

BS?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Rubgish)
    It is one of the only empirical tests, however i'm basing my guess about my own intelligence on the various hundreds of people I have conversed with in my life. Out of those people, it seemed to me that I was more intelligent than nearly all of them. I grasp anything explained to me quickly, I spot patterns, I solve problems quickly, I have good hand-eye co-ordination etc. etc. You must understand that this is merely a personal opinion, but I am far better placed to make the judgement than you are to deny it. If you wish to say you yourself are in the top 1%, I will not deny this merely because I find it unlikely.

Yep, fail to come up with a decent argument so resort to insulting the size of the other persons penis. You are definitely helping yourself :yep:

You just lost half your intelligence for basing any weight on circumstantial evidence.

I make the judgement that i can fly. You cannot deny it because you deem it unlikely. (what kind of logic is this, mate reassess your reasoning skills)

ReputationRep:
    IQ tests only go up to 170 :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubgish)

Yep, fail to come up with a decent argument so resort to insulting the size of the other persons penis. You are definitely helping yourself :yep:
    I wasn't really doubting you were in the top 1% - you could be, I've no idea. But I think IQ tests would be more reliable than basing it on a "feeling" which you have based on your experiences.

ReputationRep:
    You just lost half your intelligence for basing any weight on circumstantial evidence.

I make the judgement that i can fly. You cannot deny it because you deem it unlikely. (what kind of logic is this, mate reassess your reasoning skills)
    He's clearly more intelligent than you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generic hybrid)
    I automatically consider anyone who claims to be in the smartest 1% of the population to also be in the nobbishest 1%.
    Just curious: what if people who claim to be in the top 1% have sat a certified IQ test which tells them they have an IQ which places them in the top 1% of the UK population?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    If intelligence is fixed by 12 - would you like to take the liberty of explaining why graduates would learn a topic that's completely new to them at a faster rate then a population of 12 year olds.

Answers on a post card.
    Well what he's saying is that the graduate will be far more knowledgeable about the skills and have the maturity and discipline to learn a new topic far better than a 12 year old, even though their 'intelligence' (whatever that means) is constant.

A fairer illustration would be to have a big group of smart 12 year olds and 25 year old arts graduates who have never studied maths for example, not at all - their lives have always been entirely devoid of maths. Then both groups should be taught basic maths from the beginning through algebra and so on, and see who achieves greater progress in less time. There would be a good case for the slightly smarter 12 year olds getting it more quickly.

ReputationRep:
    Who cares? :/
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by schoolstudent)
    He's clearly more intelligent than you
    I dont doubt that. But placing yourself in the top 10% based on a "feeling". Does not exactly ring logical.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure they don't as that would just be putting a limit on peoples intelligence as a whole and that is something which isn't really possible in my opinion as there will always be people becoming smarter and by setting a cap, many people would start getting 170

(Original post by DaveJ)
    If you got 189 in a proper IQ test, then you're a complete genius I think.
    Then I doubt it was proper :p:

ReputationRep:
    Not true at all.

IQ tests are scored by varying methodology, but with constant distribution and a median of 100.

The two most common, 15SD (Weschler) and 16SD (Stanford-Binet), have scores over 170.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    I wasn't really doubting you were in the top 1% - you could be, I've no idea. But I think IQ tests would be more reliable than basing it on a "feeling" which you have based on your experiences.
    He places himself in the top 10%, from a feeling he got from talking to a few hundred people. Even though the UK population has 60 million.

Excellent!

ReputationRep:
    I took the test to get into MENSA (and passed) and I was told I am in the top 1%, I'm pretty happy with that result

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha. I love the poll results. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    He places himself in the top 10%, from a feeling he got from talking to a few hundred people. Even though the UK population has 60 million.

Excellent!
    Those few hundred could be randomly distributed, and entirely representative.

If anything, the bias is probably in his favour. As an intelligent person, he's likely to operate in a social sphere of higher than average intelligence, making his estimate of top 10% negatively biased.

ReputationRep:
    You just lost half your intelligence for basing any weight on circumstantial empirical evidence.

First off, I fixed your post. Secondly, flying unaided is a physical impossibility. I can deny it because its not possible, if you are going to try and make an analogy at least make it resemble the initial thing in question in some small respect :facepalm:

(Original post by DaveJ)
    This is possibly true, though I really do feel that IQ tests don't assess how well someone learns or how they are able to generally apply their intelligence to something - it tests your skill at spotting patterns and working quickly at something.

As for taking IQ tests, the only proper one I ever did came out at 147. Read into that what you will.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.