Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

In what % bracket of the UK Population, would you deem your intelligence to be in? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: What percentage bracket do you fall in, in your opinion?
    90%-100% (Top 10%)
    51.75%
    80%-90%
    15.09%
    70%-80%
    14.29%
    60%-70%
    9.30%
    60%-50%
    2.43%
    50%-40%
    1.21%
    40%-30%
    0.40%
    30%-20%
    1.21%
    20%-10%
    1.62%
    10-0 (Bottom 10%
    2.70%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amelialynch)
    This poll just confirms how arrogant I suspected most TSR users to be. Anyone who thinks they're in the top 10% is ******* dellusional! A-Levels aren't summary of your intelligence, students. :woo:
    Yes but if you are told by MENSA after sitting their test that your IQ falls in the top 1% then you are not ******* delusional, as you put it. Yes IQ tests aren't conclusive evidence of your intelligence, but they are the closest we have right now.

Yes I am in MENSA and yes my IQ is in the top 1%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubgish)

As for taking IQ tests, the only proper one I ever did came out at 147. Read into that what you will.
    Depends what test that was. One some that score would place you in the top 2% and in others it would place you in the top 0.5% or so.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    First off, I fixed your post. Secondly, flying unaided is a physical impossibility. I can deny it because its not possible, if you are going to try and make an analogy at least make it resemble the initial thing in question in some small respect :facepalm:

Touche! It is empirical but based on your feelings, so not really valid in any scientific sense.

and my example was a little stupid, but you understood the point.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    First off, I fixed your post. Secondly, flying unaided is a physical impossibility. I can deny it because its not possible, if you are going to try and make an analogy at least make it resemble the initial thing in question in some small respect :facepalm:

This is possibly true, though I really do feel that IQ tests don't assess how well someone learns or how they are able to generally apply their intelligence to something - it tests your skill at spotting patterns and working quickly at something.

As for taking IQ tests, the only proper one I ever did came out at 147. Read into that what you will.

Also the only proper one i ever did came out at 149, yet you come across as much more intelligent than me.

So IQ tests are ********.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    Touche! It is empirical but based on your feelings, so not really valid in any scientific sense.

and my example was a little stupid, but you understood the point.
    This isn't really a scientific study, surely you must also have a general feeling of how intelligent people you know are? And similarly, you must have a feeling about how intelligent you are yourself and can thus compare the two.

Its not a research paper, but I imagine if we got 50 people who knew a person well, and asked them to guess their intelligence it would be as accurate if not more accurate than an IQ test.

ReputationRep:
    Top 1%

Cambridge m8. aaaaah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amelialynch)
    Anyone who thinks they're in the top 10% is ******* dellusional!
    So, essentially, you think that not a single person in the top 10% of intelligence is intelligent enough to know that they're intelligent...? :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patientology)
    Write "but" with one "t". Thanks.
    That's how I like to type.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm:

Yes because good knowledge and application of Mathematics = High Intelligence.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So you see, it is not me who most certainly is not in the top 10%, but you!

You cannot be serious. Honestly. Re-read that first statement and realise how ridiculous it sounds please.

ReputationRep:
    Who am I to judge how intelligent I am compared to others? And more importantly, what does it matter?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    This isn't really a scientific study, surely you must also have a general feeling of how intelligent people you know are? And similarly, you must have a feeling about how intelligent you are yourself and can thus compare the two.

Its not a research paper, but I imagine if we got 50 people who knew a person well, and asked them to guess their intelligence it would be as accurate if not more accurate than an IQ test.
    I get your point, but its very wishy washy.

Then again im one of the most intelligent people I know, but i wouldnt use my feeling to estimate my intelligence against the entire population.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Elementric)
    You cannot be serious. Honestly. Re-read that first statement and realise how ridiculous it sounds please.
    Going to Cambridge = High Intelligence.

Even Worse!

"To be frank, anyone that has an offer from Cambridge to study maths and is predicted A*s at A level is almost certainly within that 10% bracket"

Therefore you think that An offer from Cambridge and Predictions of A* @ A2 = Top 10% intelligence.

So This is even more ludicrous.

ReputationRep:

I don't know about you, but if you asked everyone in my year to guess each other's intelligence, it would just end up with a list in public exam performance order. Personally I wouldn't see much issue with that, I'm sure exam results correlate fairly well with intelligence. I would think some people would disagree strongly, howver, that exam results are related to intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    Going to Cambridge = High Inteligence.

Even Worse!
    Well yes... Of course it does. That's the whole point of the establishment.

Sigh...

ReputationRep:
    Going to Cambridge = High Intelligence.

Even Worse!

"To be frank, anyone that has an offer from Cambridge to study maths and is predicted A*s at A level is almost certainly within that 10% bracket"

Therefore you think that An offer from Cambridge and Predictions of A* @ A2 = Top 10% intelligence.

So This is even more ludicrous.
    Why? You are yet to give any logical justification for your comments. It's not at all ludicrous to say that someone who scores exceptionally well in a broad range of exams and performs outstandingly in interview is an intelligent person.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Elementric)
    Well yes... Of course it does. That's the whole point of the establishment.

Sigh...
    :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I get your point, but its very wishy washy.

Then again im one of the most intelligent people I know, but i wouldnt use my feeling to estimate my intelligence against the entire population.
    I'm sure if you did use your feeling it would be at least fairly accurate. IQ seems to be increasing by roughly 3 points every decade (though they do re-standardise it back to a median of 100), so compared to your parents generation, you are much more likely to be near the top, not to mention how easy it would be compared to your grandparents generation. (considering if they got a score of 145 when they were 15, at 75 that score would now be 127, a drop of over 1 S.D, not to mention any effects of old age itself). You may have to judge how intelligent the general group of people you know are, but seeing as how you go to college you are likely to be with some of the more intelligent people as it is already. Thus if you consider yourself fairly to be one of the most intelligent at college, it is a good bet that you are also one of the most intelligent in the general population too.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'm sure if you did use your feeling it would be at least fairly accurate. IQ seems to be increasing by roughly 3 points every decade (though they do re-standardise it back to a median of 100), so compared to your parents generation, you are much more likely to be near the top, not to mention how easy it would be compared to your grandparents generation. (considering if they got a score of 145 when they were 15, at 75 that score would now be 127, a drop of over 1 S.D, not to mention any effects of old age itself). You may have to judge how intelligent the general group of people you know are, but seeing as how you go to college you are likely to be with some of the more intelligent people as it is already. Thus if you consider yourself fairly to be one of the most intelligent at college, it is a good bet that you are also one of the most intelligent in the general population too.

I would not be confident enough to extrapolate from a small sample, to be representative of the entire population, although it may be the case. But i personally would need more information before i can make any such conclusions or predictions.

(P.S - Your intelligence has increased again, this is better reasoning.)

ReputationRep:
    :eek:
    It's a shame that truthfulness and logic seem to cause such taboo nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    :rofl:

You're quite obviously not in the top 1%.

There are around 620,000 people in the UK in the top 1%. There are only a handful of people who go to university before the age of 16, certainly nowhere near 620,000. There is nothing particularly exceptional about being in the top 1% and I have no doubt that many members of TSR are.
    This. If there are 620,000 people in the top 1% of the population in the UK, then since I am among the more intelligent on my degree course at a top 10 UK university, I would like to hedge my bets that I am somewhere near that, and I'm an honest, modest person.

I would not be disappointed to be lower than this but in the logistics of the poll, there is no doubt that I am in the top 10%

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.