Turn on thread page Beta

In what % bracket of the UK Population, would you deem your intelligence to be in? watch

• View Poll Results: What percentage bracket do you fall in, in your opinion?
    90%-100% (Top 10%)
    51.75%
    80%-90%
    15.09%
    70%-80%
    14.29%
    60%-70%
    9.30%
    60%-50%
    2.43%
    50%-40%
    1.21%
    40%-30%
    0.40%
    30%-20%
    1.21%
    20%-10%
    1.62%
    10-0 (Bottom 10%
    2.70%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    I don't know about you, but if you asked everyone in my year to guess each other's intelligence, it would just end up with a list in public exam performance order. Personally I wouldn't see much issue with that, I'm sure exam results correlate fairly well with intelligence. I would think some people would disagree strongly, howver, that exam results are related to intelligence.
    I imagine the list would be similar to exam performance, but I don't think it would be exact. I know a girl who academically has done better than me, and yet everyone in the class rated me as more intelligent than her. (I know this sounds really nasty if you read it like this, but in context it was actually perfectly nice and we all had a bit of a laugh about it, even she voted for me in the end :p: ).
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Elementric)
    It's a shame that truthfulness and logic seem to cause such taboo nowadays.
    Making an assumption that everyone with a degree from Cambridge is in the top 10% of intelligence, is bad reasoning.

For example

If everyone in the top 10% had a Cambridge Degree, this does not necessarily mean that everyone with a Cambridge degree is in the top 10%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    I would not be confident enough to extrapolate from a small sample, to be representative of the entire population, although it may be the case. But i personally would need more information before i can make any such conclusions or predictions.

(P.S - Your intelligence has increased again, this is better reasoning.)
    The reasoning always was there, I could probably write an essay on my justifcations its just not worth the effort!

It is pretty shaky ground to extrapolate from, but its the best you can do unless you wish to go around specifically meeting people only to judge their intellect. Which I suppose is where the IQ test comes in as a way of doing this, but then we get back to the point of the IQ test being flawed in how it judges intelligence and thus we have to chose between IQ test results (and not necessarily from the same test with the same S.D) or from our own experiences. Personally I prefer to trust my own experiences more than the variety of IQ tests out there.

ReputationRep:
    Making an assumption that everyone with a degree from Cambridge is in the top 10% of intelligence, is bad reasoning.

For example

If everyone in the top 10% had a Cambridge Degree, this does not necessarily mean that everyone with a Cambridge degree is in the top 10%.
    Eh? Everyone in the top 10% wouldn't have a Cambridge degree.

Cambridge degree > top 10%
    top 10% !> Cambridge degree

(I'm aware everyone at cambridge probably isn't in the top 10%. I just don't feel your reasoning was correct at all... but yeah, I'm quite tired, so I could be completely wrong here :p: )
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Rubgish)
    The reasoning always was there, I could probably write an essay on my justifcations its just not worth the effort!

It is pretty shaky ground to extrapolate from, but its the best you can do unless you wish to go around specifically meeting people only to judge their intellect. Which I suppose is where the IQ test comes in as a way of doing this, but then we get back to the point of the IQ test being flawed in how it judges intelligence and thus we have to chose between IQ test results (and not necessarily from the same test with the same S.D) or from our own experiences. Personally I prefer to trust my own experiences more than the variety of IQ tests out there.
    But good logical reasoning does not equal validity.

This was my initial problem with your post.

ReputationRep:

For example

Oh dear.
    That is completely illogical; everyone in the top 10% couldn't have a Cambridge degree because there aren't anywhere near that many Cambridge degrees handed out. The fact is that the number of people with Cambridge degrees is a tiny fraction of the number of people within the 10% bracket; so your argument is complete nonsense.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    Eh? Everyone in the top 10% wouldn't have a Cambridge degree.

Cambridge degree > top 10%
    top 10% !> Cambridge degree

(I'm aware everyone at cambridge probably isn't in the top 10%. I just don't feel your reasoning was correct at all... but yeah, I'm quite tired, so I could be completely wrong here :p: )
    I was just giving an example of a logical fallacy.

LOL

They are both made up statments.

ReputationRep:

Our own judgements are fairly rubbish though. :p: Most people overestimate their intelligence compared with others, whilst the most intelligent people underestimate their intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely top 5%. Most probably higher. Top 5% is nothing special really, that's like 3million people lol. Most on TSR will be be top 5% and more.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Elementric)
    Oh dear.
    That is completely illogical; everyone in the top 10% couldn't have a Cambridge degree because there aren't anywhere near that many Cambridge degrees handed out. The fact is that the number of people with Cambridge degrees is a tiny fraction of the number of people within the 10% bracket; so your argument is complete nonsense.
    It was a fictional example of a logical fallacy.

I know that there have been no where near that many Cambridge graduates.

ReputationRep:
    I was just giving an example of a logical fallacy.

LOL

They are both made up statments.
    I don't really see the relevance of you posting that logical fallacy. It is perfectly possible for everyone at Cambridge to be in the top 10%, whilst everyone in the top 10% not being from Cambridge. (Again, not that I agree with people at Cambridge being in the top 10%, I'm just speaking from the example that was already being discussed by you and that other guy.)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    I don't really see the relevance of you posting that logical fallacy. It is perfectly possible for everyone at Cambridge to be in the top 10%, whilst everyone in the top 10% not being from Cambridge. (Again, not that I agree with people at Cambridge being in the top 10%, I'm just speaking from the example that was already being discussed by you and that other guy.)

Exactly.

(Also it had no relevance what so ever)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    Our own judgements are fairly rubbish though. :p: Most people overestimate their intelligence compared with others, whilst the most intelligent people underestimate their intelligence.
    Do you have evidence of this being the case? I imagine this is due to differences in modesty or possibly meekness rather than any difference in intelligence.

As for our own judgements, I think you underestimate humans in general. We seem to be generally quite capable of judging other peoples moods, how to react to different situations and the like. Similarly I think if we are being honest with ourselves, we will all have a roughly accurate idea of our own level of intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    It was a fictional example of a logical fallacy.

I know that there have been no where near that many Cambridge graduates.

It was a poor and nonsensical example of a logical fallacy, showing a remarkable hypocrisy.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have evidence of this being the case? I imagine this is due to differences in modesty or possibly meekness rather than any difference in intelligence.

As for our own judgements, I think you underestimate humans in general. We seem to be generally quite capable of judging other peoples moods, how to react to different situations and the like. Similarly I think if we are being honest with ourselves, we will all have a roughly accurate idea of our own level of intelligence.
    There was a graph showing it in a book I read. Also, someone posted a Wikipedia link to "the downing effect" I think it's called, which is what the graph I read about was showing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusory_superiority could be relevant: "One of the main effects of illusory superiority in intelligence is the Downing effect. This describes the tendency of people with a below average intelligence quotient (IQ) to overestimate their intelligence, and of people with an above average IQ to underestimate their intelligence."

ReputationRep:
    whatz iz a percentages

ReputationRep:
    I put 50-60

thinking about it pensioners and children are unlikely to be clever so that means my percentage might be higher..

what percentage of people go to university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    There was a graph showing it in a book I read. Also, someone posted a Wikipedia link to "the downing effect" I think it's called, which is what the graph I read about was showing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusory_superiority could be relevant: "One of the main effects of illusory superiority in intelligence is the Downing effect. This describes the tendency of people with a below average intelligence quotient (IQ) to overestimate their intelligence, and of people with an above average IQ to underestimate their intelligence."
    This would suggest that I am actually more intelligent that I believe myself to do :woo:

interestingly, on the Downing effect page

His studies also evidenced that an individual's ability to estimate others' intelligence accurately was proportional to their own intelligence. This means the lower the IQ score of an individual, the less capably he or she can appreciate and accurately appraise others' intelligence. The lower someone's IQ, the more likely he is to rate himself as more intelligent than those around him. Conversely, people with a high IQ, while better at appraising others' intelligence overall, are still likely to rate people of similar intelligence to themselves as having higher IQs.
    this would suggest that my judgement about my intelligence compared to others should be more accurate (on the assumption I am more intelligent than average)

ReputationRep:
    This would suggest that I am actually more intelligent that I believe myself to do :woo:

interestingly, on the Downing effect page

this would suggest that my judgement about my intelligence compared to others should be more accurate (on the assumption I am more intelligent than average)
    Could be true. I'm not sure it's as simple as that, though. On the graph I saw, you had to be REALLY above average to be underestimating your abilities. You still could be obviously, and you probably are, with a cambridge maths offer, but I don't think it's simply a case of "if you are above average, you underestimate your abilities".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    care to explain?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.