Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

In what % bracket of the UK Population, would you deem your intelligence to be in? watch

• View Poll Results: What percentage bracket do you fall in, in your opinion?
    90%-100% (Top 10%)
    51.75%
    80%-90%
    15.09%
    70%-80%
    14.29%
    60%-70%
    9.30%
    60%-50%
    2.43%
    50%-40%
    1.21%
    40%-30%
    0.40%
    30%-20%
    1.21%
    20%-10%
    1.62%
    10-0 (Bottom 10%
    2.70%

ReputationRep:
    Wow! I didn't know over 50% of people were in the top 10% of the country! You learn something new everyday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerdman09)
    Wow! I didn't know over 50% of people were in the top 10% of the country! You learn something new everyday

................................ ...............are you actually being serious?

TSR users are obviously above average intelligence compared with whole population of UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    care to explain?
    I don't agree with the statement factually, I just used that example since it was already being discussed. What I said is logically correct though.

Think of it like a diagram. A small circle inside a large circle. The small circle is "cambridge students", the large one is "top 10% of UK".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lrkn)
    *It's. Mr Genius.
    :teehee: Oh, well done!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    ................................ ...............are you actually being serious?

TSR users are obviously above average intelligence compared with whole population of UK.
    ...........................are you actually being serious? Of course that was sarcasm lol I'm in a trolling mood

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerdman09)
    ...........................are you actually being serious? Of course that was sarcasm lol I'm in a trolling mood
    Lol I knew this would happen. I knew you were being sarcastic - you were pointing out it was stupid that 50% of people could be in the top 10%.

However, TSR users tend to be above average intellectually. So it's perfectly possible that 50% of them could be top 10% nationally. Or maybe you meant that anyway. :p:

ReputationRep:
    i bet im the smarted guy on this bored. i read lotr (all three of them) at the age of 16! i also like to watch qi and worry about the euro.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who classifies themselves in the top10%, doesn't deserve to be in the top10%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    Lol I knew this would happen. I knew you were being sarcastic - you were pointing out it was stupid that 50% of people could be in the top 10%.
    Lies! You were oblivious to my trolling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    I don't agree with the statement factually, I just used that example since it was already being discussed. What I said is logically correct though.

Think of it like a diagram. A small circle inside a large circle. The small circle is "cambridge students", the large one is "top 10% of UK".
    so you have a small circle inside a bigger circle.

but no one in the bigger circle is in the small circle as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fox_the_fix)
    Anyone who classifies themselves in the top10%, doesn't deserve to be in the top10%
    why not?

ReputationRep:
    i am sorry but i keep finding myself more and more to say this, but could you explain your logic behind that?

ReputationRep:
    so you have a small circle inside a bigger circle.

but no one in the bigger circle is in the small circle as well?
    I apologise if I made a mistake in my original post, and I'm sounding like an idiot. :p:

OK, so you have one large group: the top 10% in the UK. Within this group, you have the entire student population of Cambridge. However, within the top 10% of the UK, you also have other groups, eg, MENSA members. So... all Cambridge students are in the top 10% (ie, the small Cambridge circle is located within the top 10% circle), BUT, not all of the top 10% are Cambridge students. There are regions within the big top 10% circle not occupied by the small Cambridge circle.

It's like saying all lions are animals, but not all animals are lions.

Once again, I must point out, I do NOT believe all cambridge students are top 10% lol, I was just using the example which someone else posted.

ReputationRep:
    i am sorry but i keep finding myself more and more to say this, but could you explain your logic behind that?
    Because people who are intelligent and wise, truly realize how little they know.

My grades are great, my IQ is obscenely high, psychologically speaking I would be classified as a 'genius'. I don't think I'm in the top10% because there is so much I do not know, so much I do not understand and so much I have yet to experience which could possible lead me to believe I am within the top10%. People who claim to be in the top10% on this site are young, inexperienced and naive. The fact they claim to be in the top10% is hilarious lol. People who claim to be smarter than the large majority of the population when they haven't experienced anything out of a boring, easy and academically simple education are nothing short of fools.

(Original post by generic hybrid)
    I automatically consider anyone who claims to be in the smartest 1% of the population to also be in the nobbishest 1%.

(Original post by nellydee)
    Just curious: what if people who claim to be in the top 1% have sat a certified IQ test which tells them they have an IQ which places them in the top 1% of the UK population?
    certified 'nobs' then ... :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    The size of my **** is in the 10% of the UK population.

That's all that matters.

ReputationRep:
    Because people who are intelligent and wise, truly realize how little they know.

My grades are great, my IQ is obscenely high, psychologically speaking I would be classified as a 'genius'. I don't think I'm in the top10% because there is so much I do not know, so much I do not understand and so much I have yet to experience which could possible lead me to believe I am within the top10%. People who claim to be in the top10% on this site are young, inexperienced and naive. The fact they claim to be in the top10% is hilarious lol. People who claim to be smarter than the large majority of the population when they haven't experienced anything out of a boring, easy and academically simple education are nothing short of fools.
    But that's absurd. You therefore clearly ARE in the top 10%. You don't have to be some sort of genius to be in the top 10%, you just have to be in the top 6000000 in the UK. We are talking about "intelligence" here, not "knowledge".

ReputationRep:

You need to make a distinction between Intelligence and Knowledge, if what you say is true, then you are definately in the top 10% in terms of intelligence, probably higher if you would be classed as genius (We certainly do not have 6 million geniuses in this country). But I think everyone who has voted here would agree that while the majority of TSR members are in the top 10-20% in terms of intelligence, being young we haven't been alive long enough to gather the vast repository of knowledge that a 40 or a 50 year would have, and as such would not be in the top 10% for knowledge.

I would imagine that there is a pretty strong link between intelligence and knowledge though, such that for people of the same age, the more intelligent one is significantly more likely to also have more knowledge. (working on the assumption all types of knowledge are equal, from your post you seem to think that 'street knowledge' is more important than academic knowledge)

ReputationRep:

This comment is pure fail

ReputationRep:
    I put top 10% as i can only really judge myself with my peers, so while grades give a basic outline it can be pretty clear from a 5 minute chat that there are those with high grades who still dont have a clue. As for the definition of intelligence i chose the current full possible potential of the candidate. So while there are those with degrees at the moment and are certainly more able than I, it is more their knowledge rather than their capacity for intelligence that is definately higher than those who are younger and still learning.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.