Turn on thread page Beta

In what % bracket of the UK Population, would you deem your intelligence to be in? watch

• View Poll Results: What percentage bracket do you fall in, in your opinion?
    90%-100% (Top 10%)
    51.75%
    80%-90%
    15.09%
    70%-80%
    14.29%
    60%-70%
    9.30%
    60%-50%
    2.43%
    50%-40%
    1.21%
    40%-30%
    0.40%
    30%-20%
    1.21%
    20%-10%
    1.62%
    10-0 (Bottom 10%
    2.70%

ReputationRep:
    My mum reckons I'm #1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grt)
    Actually, it means that you're the one in a hundred (or under the top 10 in 1000).

However, I agree, it's not that amazing. You still get to know so many more people that are brighter - if you look at the right places, that is.
    Sorry, that's what I meant.

ReputationRep:
    My post in this thread is an attempt to feed my ego.

:fight:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Turdburger)
    Great! Could you read up on First-order non-singular perturbation theory if you haven't already and give it to me in bite-size chunks.
    no i am too clever for you

ReputationRep:
    i would say that i am in the top 0.1% percents but i do not want to be brag

ReputationRep:
    My IQ has been assessed twice...and according to that I was classed in the top 0.01% of the population...but I'm average in everything.

ReputationRep:
    I bet half the people who put down top 10% aren't actually in the top 10%. I can imagine many of the people who voted in that category are 16-19 year olds who got 7 A*'s at GCSE and are predicted AAA at A-level and suddenly think that they are more amazing than the majority of the UK adult population.

Intelligence is hard to define, you simply cannot have everyone take one big test and rank everyone accordingly. Everyone have their strengths and weaknesses; an English teacher may be a numpty at science but can blaze a English test any day. As an 18 year old, I feel I have much to learn about the world and I definitely wouldn't categorise myself in the top 10% (let alone top 1% or 0.1% like some people are suggesting) when I still have much knowledge and many more skills to learn over the next 50 years and beyond.

Getting a few A's at school does not make you one of the most intelligent people in the country, you are simply learning a set module that has been taught to thousands of people every year. Only when you start to branch out from education can you really gain intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    My IQ = 138... what does that mean? top 10%?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zakky)
    Well the UK Population was 61.4 Million mid-2008, 1% of this 614000 so when you put it like that it doesn't seem that much of big claim to me. If however you were to say 0.01% or 0.001% then it's a different thing...
    Yeah you all have valid points but only a handful of people here are in the top 10% if your comparing the whole of the UK!

I'd consider myself intelligent (i mean i am doing a degree i guess) but.. more so than those people doing A-levels, done degree's... working in companies, doing skilled practical jobs such as engineering and such.

Be careful of arrogance i guess (although im sure there are some very intelligent people among us).

ReputationRep:
    According to Mensa my IQ of 137 in the Culture-fair test is in the top 1% of the country and the 143 i got in the Cattel-B test is top 3%.

I also like long walks on the beach and going to gigs...

ReputationRep:
    Top 1%.

I try to hide this arrogance in real life though.

ReputationRep:
    Top 0.1% without a shadow of a doubt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phobia27)
    I bet half the people who put down top 10% aren't actually in the top 10%. I can imagine many of the people who voted in that category are 16-19 year olds who got 7 A*'s at GCSE and are predicted AAA at A-level and suddenly think that they are more amazing than the majority of the UK adult population.

Intelligence is hard to define, you simply cannot have everyone take one big test and rank everyone accordingly. Everyone have their strengths and weaknesses; an English teacher may be a numpty at science but can blaze a English test any day. As an 18 year old, I feel I have much to learn about the world and I definitely wouldn't categorise myself in the top 10% (let alone top 1% or 0.1% like some people are suggesting) when I still have much knowledge and many more skills to learn over the next 50 years and beyond.

Getting a few A's at school does not make you one of the most intelligent people in the country, you are simply learning a set module that has been taught to thousands of people every year. Only when you start to branch out from education can you really gain intelligence.

theres a difference between intelligence and knowledge, but mostly you're still right

also, according to a site that converts SAT scores to IQ scores i have 162 but id be surprised if thats right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phobia27)

It's tough to objectively determine what the top 10% of the population is. The most popular marker for intellect - IQ - is notoriously difficult to normalize (and so get an accurate reading of the population as a whole). Not to mention the controversy surrounding whether or not it's even an accurate measurement.

I did mark the top 10% for myself (although maybe I should have chosen 0, as I'm not even British), in part for the reasons you describe. I haven't any clue as to exactly where I fall on the intelligence distribution, but the general feeling I get (from test scores, academics, and comparing myself to my peers) is that I fall somewhere into the 90th percentile of students, if not the entire population as a whole.

Ultimately, though, I don't think intelligence is terribly important. It can be a decent predictor for a great many things, but becoming successful has more to do with hard work than raw ability.

ReputationRep:
    Far more intelligent than the other 59,999,999 people (the minions). :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Probably in the top 10% - IQ of 137, went to a selective grammar school, decent overall IB score + GCSE results. There are approximately 6 million of us, so it's not exactly pushing it to say that I'm probably one of them.

However, I put myself in the top 20% just to be safe.

ReputationRep:
    Since when could you reliably quantify intelligence?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    162 IQ - I'd say top 10 percent :p:
    That's more like Top 0.001%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    Probably in the top 10% - IQ of 137, went to a selective grammar school, decent overall IB score + GCSE results. There are approximately 6 million of us, so it's not exactly pushing it to say that I'm probably one of them.

However, I put myself in the top 20% just to be safe.
    IQ of 137 is top 1% why put yourself in the top 20%?

and 6 million may sound like a lot of people are like that but an IQ of 137 means that you have a higher IQ than 99% of the UK's population. So...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunOfABeach)
    IQ of 137 is top 1% why put yourself in the top 20%?

and 6 million may sound like a lot of people are like that but an IQ of 137 means that you have a higher IQ than 99% of the UK's population. So...
    I know, but I just don't like going on about it. I also don't think that IQ is a particularly effective measurement of general intelligence, so whilst I feel happy that my IQ is pretty decent, I think it's better to play it safe on this one.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.