Turn on thread page Beta

In what % bracket of the UK Population, would you deem your intelligence to be in? watch

• View Poll Results: What percentage bracket do you fall in, in your opinion?
    90%-100% (Top 10%)
    51.75%
    80%-90%
    15.09%
    70%-80%
    14.29%
    60%-70%
    9.30%
    60%-50%
    2.43%
    50%-40%
    1.21%
    40%-30%
    0.40%
    30%-20%
    1.21%
    20%-10%
    1.62%
    10-0 (Bottom 10%
    2.70%

ReputationRep:
    I always have a score of 131 after doing an IQ test, which allegedly means I'm quite intelligent. I don't know, top 10% I'd maybe go for that? I'm intelligent despite the lack of work that I can usually account for.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    What is intelligence? I would guess I am somewhere in the middle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    I know, but I just don't like going on about it. I also don't think that IQ is a particularly effective measurement of general intelligence, so whilst I feel happy that my IQ is pretty decent, I think it's better to play it safe on this one.
    Look, perhaps IQ is not a good measure of general intelligence when we're talking about people who score 90-120. They may all have the same general intelligence (whatever that means). They may all be just "average joes". But come on, you can't be of "average" or of even "higher than average" intelligence and have an IQ of 140. It's not possible. People with an IQ of 140+ are very intelligent. They, most of the time, stand out.

And I don't understand why people look down on intelligence... "Oh, it can't be measured accurately". Well yeah right but the fact is that when we're talking about extremes (140+), it doesn't matter if you have an IQ of 140 or an IQ of 160. If you meet someone like that, you'll definitely realise without him telling you that he's much more intelligent than you (or perhaps anyone else that you know). A good parallel is beauty. Beauty may be subjective but the people who are extremely good looking, are objectively beautiful. Everyone can see it and no one can dispute it. Same with intelligence.

edit: I'm not talking about you in particular -- I don't know you at all. But one of my friends has a very high IQ (such as yours) and we knew each other ever since we were little kids. The fact is, I always knew he was far more intelligent than me or anyone else in our class-neighbourhood-whatever. But only recently did I learn about his high IQ and ofc I wasn't surprised at all. You know what I mean?

ReputationRep:
    I always come out in IQ tests at about 130+, which is supposedly in the top couple of percent in terms of IQ, but whether that actually means anything is another matter.

ReputationRep:
    Well apparently the top 2% is 130+, so I would put myself in the top bracket because I've done IQ tests before and came out above that.

ReputationRep:
    ~ Top 25-35%

ReputationRep:
    People say you need atleast (90-)100 IQ to be able to access the internet, so the people under 50% should, by logic, have a person watching from behind, Google Chrome was right...

Also, the top (10)% is easy to get in. :P

(Original post by Pink Bullets)
    :rofl:

You're quite obviously not in the top 1%.

There are around 620,000 people in the UK in the top 1%. There are only a handful of people who go to university before the age of 16, certainly nowhere near 620,000. There is nothing particularly exceptional about being in the top 1% and I have no doubt that many members of TSR are.
    I bet you're in the top 1.5% :P.
    Seconded (Notion carried), supposedly I got just 1 question wrong in a British Mensa home test, (I didn't cheat honest), but a few of the questions, arguably had more than one answer, some could have 7 answers, all of which are justifiable, and I think kids only do degrees at a young age because they are encouraged, and given help to "harness the power of infinite wisdom", but this is the UK, Education fails, 2/5 kids go out of primary school unable to write, speak, talk, do simple math or some other thing.
    But if I wanted to rant about how teachers could be doing a better job, I'd get an A* for having over 9000 pages.

SonOfABeach, I totally agree with you, I was supposedly gifted and talented in primary school and through secondary school, they sent one or two leaflets in which I could do something, but I was young and naive thinking they wouldn't help me, and look where I am, struggling with math, science, science and more science at college because I didn't get enough encouragement, but I do have some really crazy ideas which could work, and my family have no clue as to what I'm saying most of the time (black holes, singularity, omfgbbqsauce, WHAT?).

ReputationRep:
    People seem to be putting themselves down quite a lot.

The TSR is a bit of a hothouse, as are colleges, Universities, etc.

Even if you're average in one of those places, you're still probably in the top 5% intelligence wise. It's a numbers game. People seem to take how many dullards there are in the world for granted.

I have a projected IQ between 140 and 150(IQ of 152 on the S&B test when I was 12), which would mean I was in the top 1%. I don't see a problem with that. I reckon MOST if not ALL of the people who've posted in this thread are in that percentile too.

It only really becomes doubtable when people claim to be in the top 0.01%. Unless Mr Hawking prowls the TSR forums, there won't be many in that percentile.

Stop putting yourselves down.

ReputationRep:
    Top margin of course.

As if anyone is going to answer this honestly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TwilightKnight)
    People seem to be putting themselves down quite a lot.

The TSR is a bit of a hothouse, as are colleges, Universities, etc.

Even if you're average in one of those places, you're still probably in the top 5% intelligence wise. It's a numbers game. People seem to take how many dullards there are in the world for granted.

I have a projected IQ between 140 and 150(IQ of 152 on the S&B test when I was 12), which would mean I was in the top 1%. I don't see a problem with that. I reckon MOST if not ALL of the people who've posted in this thread are in that percentile too.

It only really becomes doubtable when people claim to be in the top 0.01%. Unless Mr Hawking prowls the TSR forums, there won't be many in that percentile.

Stop putting yourselves down.

So everyone here is in the top 1%, but no one is in the top 0.01%? Surely if everyone here has a top 1% IQ then 1/100 of them must also be in the top 0.01%?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    Top margin of course.

As if anyone is going to answer this honestly.
    (Sarcasm? if so, smiley face is needed.;})
    I did, top margin :P

Also, there are some books that give you pointers and really useful help on how to do IQ tests and if it's multiple choice, you could use elimination to get higher than you're due :P.

To the guy above me, if everyone scored higher than 60 points on a test, it doesn't mean they scored full marks. (get what I mean?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Immortalis)
    (Sarcasm? if so, smiley face is needed.;})
    I did, top margin :P

Also, there are some books that give you pointers and really useful help on how to do IQ tests and if it's multiple choice, you could use elimination to get higher than you're due :P.
    It wasn't sarcasm, more like skepticism. You really think a smiley face is that necessary?

ReputationRep:
    I was reading the 10 top rules of the internet (a atticle I randomly found while searching for the laws of the internet).
    One being, without a smiley face, it appears non-sarcastic, with one it appears sarcastic, even if not intended, but a few people here might be in the top 0.001%, they just haven't been tested :P
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Rubgish)
    top 1%. I'm sure some people will say this is arrogant but oh well. Its what I deem to be the case.
    So you are amongst the top 600,000 minds in the UK

With the likes of Stephen Hawkings, Stephen Fry, Prof Brian Cox

Are you insane? You don't even have a degree yet, you can be no higher than the top 10% at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    No idea to be honest. Probably not that high maybe 60-70 =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    So you are amongst the top 600,000 minds in the UK

With the likes of Stephen Hawkings, Stephen Fry, Prof Brian Cox

Are you insane? You don't even have a degree yet, you can be no higher than the top 10% at the moment.
    Having a degree doesn't suddenly make you more intelligent than you were before.

Aside from the top 1% is still rather a lot of people (and having an IQ of over 130 supossedly puts you in the top 2, and that's just rather clever, not particularly spectacularly clever), being intelligent (particularly having a high IQ as measured on IQ tests) is not the same as being immensely knowledgeable or well educated. And I don't think anyone's claiming to be in the same league as Stephen Hawking (who's certainly more likely to be in the top 0.01% than just 'top 1%-although he says he doesn't know his IQ).

ReputationRep:
    Pretty shocked at the amount of arrogance going on in this thread. I have a degree, work for a top graduate scheme consultancy and still only consider myself 60-70%, take your heads out your arses people please. It's sickening

ReputationRep:
    I remember getting my Nagty letter and being incredibly surprised (I think it's called Young Gifted and Talented now?) that I was assessed as in the top 5% of the country for my age group. Lol, as if something like that means anything.

I don't actually know what my IQ is but I'd like to think I'm in the top 20% overall. Considering the population size 20% is still a very large number of people I don't think it's unreasonsable for people on here to think that they're that intelligent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    Top 10%. I think I was certified to be in the top 5% a few years ago and "they" made me join NAGTY, you had to be in the top 5% to join when I did, they've since lowered the bar of being "gifted and talented" to 10% in order to fulfill the government's demands to have more gifted and talented children.
    I didn't know they had changed it to 10 per cent, but I have heard of a lot more people joining then when I joined.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grt)
    Being a Mensa member, you should know that IQ does not equal intelligence...
    Funny that - I was always under the impression IQ stood for intelligence quotient...

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.