Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why am I always hungry?! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Since I had salmonella pretty badly in the summer after year 11, I've found that I'm hungry way more often than I used to be. This never used to be a problem until I came to uni, and not only am I even more hungry - I have to pay for all my food.

Today I've eaten:

Breakfast (10amish)
    2 big bowls of muesli,
    2 slices of toast + jam
    1 apple
    1 glass of milk

Snack (12ish)
    1 penguin bar
    1 strawberry yogurt

Lunch (1.30)
    Chicken and ham pie
    Roast potatoes
    Green beans
    Apple
    Chocolate Mousse
    Glass of water

Snack (3.30)
    Bowl of Special K
    Glass of orange juice

Dinner (6pm)
    Beef in Black bean sauce with rice and peppers
    2 slices of bread and butter
    Kitkat
    Glass of water

Snack (8pm)
    Peach Yogurt
    Handful of dried cranberries
    Orange Juice

2nd Dinner (10.30)
    Ham Sandwich (3 slices of bread)
    Tomato soup
    Glass of water

It's getting ridiculous - even though Im buying Sainsburys basics as much as possible, the cost is mounting up!

More info:
    5'11,
    9 stone 12
    Size 10
    Have gained 1 pound since end of Year 11.
    Exercise: hardly any - gym occaisionally, walk everywhere, situps/pushups every morning.

Any ideas how to fix this so I'm not constantly hungry?!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I don't know specifically about Salmonella, Ive never had it, but I have heard that we can sometimes mistake dehydration for being hungry. But according to your itinerary, you appear to drink plenty of water. Hard to say really. Hope it turns out okay for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zebracolors)
    I don't know specifically about Salmonella, Ive never had it, but I have heard that we can sometimes mistake dehydration for being hungry. But according to your itinerary, you appear to drink plenty of water. Hard to say really. Hope it turns out okay for you.
    I would say try not to think about eating...and food as that can make you hungry and try to drink more water I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you should go to your doctor about it? Perhaps you could just try ignoring your hunger and not eating as much and see how that goes for you? I find that i get hungry at lunch time but can just miss it if i'm distracting myself and forget i'm hungry and that makes my apetite go down.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure how helpful this will be... :o:

I think if you get used to eating bigger portions, then your body expects to get that much. You could try eating smaller portions for a few days and see if it makes any difference?

Failing that, porridge is a good filler-upper... if you like it :cool: Salady leafy things are good for making sandwiches more substancial, and I find that doing that and using a smaller amount of grated medium or strong cheese makes the cheese go further... so you spend less money on cheese
    What kind of bread do you eat? I find that flimsy white bread doesn't fill me up at all, but brown seedy bread does the job. Burgen is really seedy but very filling, too.
    I also think that you can get away with own-brand basics (e.g. tinned tomatoes, flour, potatoes...), which might help you get more food for your money. It depends on your spending habits to start with, though

I would also suggest drinking plenty of water, but you seem to drink quite a lot of fluid already. How big are the glasses?

ReputationRep:
    Worms

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hothedgehog)
    Maybe you should go to your doctor about it? Perhaps you could just try ignoring your hunger and not eating as much and see how that goes for you? I find that i get hungry at lunch time but can just miss it if i'm distracting myself and forget i'm hungry and that makes my apetite go down.
    I tried going to my doctor last term as I somehow managed to lose 4 pounds in 2 weeks eating more than the rowing team guys - he said it wasn't too concerning, but if I lost more weight to see him again, but I've stayed the same since then.

I can normally distract myself quite well - its just when I'm doing my uni work (*all* the time :/) that I get really hungry... I'm definitely gonna try smaller portions and see how it goes

(Original post by ImperceptibleNinja)
    I'm not sure how helpful this will be... :o:
    ooh I think I'll try out porridge and the smaller portion for a bit - that sounds like a good idea

As for bread - Warburtons Seeded Batch (just about the only non-basics thing I buy lol)

I only brought pint glasses and shot glasses to uni, so it's pints every time

Thanks for the advice guys!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trimethylxanthine)
    I tried going to my doctor last term as I somehow managed to lose 4 pounds in 2 weeks eating more than the rowing team guys - he said it wasn't too concerning, but if I lost more weight to see him again, but I've stayed the same since then.

I can normally distract myself quite well - its just when I'm doing my uni work (*all* the time :/) that I get really hungry... I'm definitely gonna try smaller portions and see how it goes
    Well, seems like you've got a really good metabolism and to be honest, if you're eating a diet that's got so many calories in it you should be putting on or at least keeping your weight. I find it a bit odd personally but wouldn't know if that's something you should worry about.

ReputationRep:
    Omg, sorry for bumping your thread but i have this problem too , well ive always been a big eater, but lately it is just ridiculous. I just finished a big bowl of pasta and big pack of crisps with water and tea, not longer before ihad a stir fry for dinner, i have no idea what is going on, i sitll feel hungry. I am not obese, my bmi is about 18-19, and i am size 6/8 5ft4, i have no eating disorders, HELP !!

ReputationRep:
    stress?

ReputationRep:
    *Chew gum- reduce cravings but too much can give you a bloated feeling

*Eat nuts- keep you fuller for longer- only a handful though

*Drink water- you could mistake you thirst for hunger, and hence put unnecessary weight on!

EAT HEALTHILY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut: Someone who's eating that much and isn't getting to Mr Blobby proportions must have some form of worms surely?

But seriously, it sounds like you have a pretty big problem, and the doctor is going to be 10x more helpful than a few 14 year olds here are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelephant)
    :lolwut: Someone who's eating that much and isn't getting to Mr Blobby proportions must have some form of worms surely?

But seriously, it sounds like you have a pretty big problem, and the doctor is going to be 10x more helpful than a few 14 year olds here are
    hmm, yes
    I think its stress

ReputationRep:
    If you are eating significantly more than normal and are not increasing in weight despite similar physical activity then something is wrong and you need to see a doctor. Many medications can increase hunger, as can several different diseases. Without being checked out, you can't be sure everything is okay.

ReputationRep:
    Im with the other guys. First thing I thought was worms.

You either have a ridiculous (and I mean ridiculous since I did a quick tally of about 2500 calories there) metabolism. If you aren't doing massive amounts of exercise (i.e, 400-500 calories a day min), you should be putting on weight. Since you've only put on 1 pound, which your body easilly fluctuates by on a daily basis anyway, something else is wrong.

See doctor.

ReputationRep:
    It could be that the infection has upset the balance of your stomach acid. Too much or too little can cause symtoms such as hunger.

You could have another infection, such as H.Pylori.

Or it could be something totally different like worms, diabetes, thyroid problem.

You know what to do!

ReputationRep:
    or...You could be totally normal. I Eat a similar amount, possibly more. But i do alot of sport. Im a bit taller, and and weigh a little more. Just enjoy eating the amount of food while u still can. Once u hit 40 u have to start worrying about getting fat.

ReputationRep:
    overactive thyroid?

ReputationRep:
    Would you say that you've been unusually stressed since starting university? Because last term I was extremely stressed with coursework, and somehow managed to lose half a stone whilst eating a ridiculously unhealthy amount of biscuits and crisps, adding up to over 2000 calories a day, yet this term I am really struggling to keep my weight down, despite eating a healthy diet of 1500 calories and getting regular exercise.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure of the exact number of calories you're consuming a day (you don't state portions) but even if its around 3000 that really isn't too much.
    You have to remember you're very tall, and the taller you are the more calories you need just to maintain your weight. I'm only 5'6 and I need 2300-2500 calories a day to maintain my weight, and I only have a BMI of 17. People tend to assume everyone should maintain on the prescribed "2000" a day, but that doesn't take into account how each individual body works...you just need more than the supposed average!
    Also, you say you walk everywhere and do sit-ups...these are things I deliberatly do to give myself an appetite. I don't know why it works, but for me it does. I tend to not feel hungry so try and make myself feel like food!
    As for cheaper, filling foods, have you thought about flapjack? You can get that pretty cheaply and I find it keeps me going a long while! Also, nuts, bananas, bagels and cheese are all good and have protein so are filling. Random, but I also find marshmallows fill me up really quickly! Could give it a go if you fancy :p:
    Good luck!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 19, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.