Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

wanting to do early years education watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i'm currently studying film and visual effects at sheffield hallam , but realised around december time it's completely not for me but i've always had an interest in primary school teaching, particularly infant school age

on friday i'm meeting with my guidance counsellor to discuss what i should do but the two courses i've been looking at are
    early years education with qualified teacher status and the other is early childhood studies

i'm only wanting to transfer courses to start year one of a new course in september 2010 not change to a different university

i just wanted to know if anyone had ever been in a similar situation and what they did - or if anyone has some advice for me i'd gladly appreciate it!

ReputationRep:
    Not much I can help with here im afraid, although I would suggest you do the course with QTS as otherwise you will need to do a PGCE after the course!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sam.hunton)
    Not much I can help with here im afraid, although I would suggest you do the course with QTS as otherwise you will need to do a PGCE after the course!
    i know about the PGCE anyway and would probably do it either straight after the degree in early childhood studies or try see if i can get a job in schools with that degree.

the only problem with the QTS degree is that i don't have a B at alevel in a national curriculum subject, i have a C in english language, C in media and a D in art.

i'd need to gain some more relevant experience in a school environment if i was to get accepted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethanyrae)
    i know about the PGCE anyway and would probably do it either straight after the degree in early childhood studies or try see if i can get a job in schools with that degree.

the only problem with the QTS degree is that i don't have a B at alevel in a national curriculum subject, i have a C in english language, C in media and a D in art.

i'd need to gain some more relevant experience in a school environment if i was to get accepted
    I've just been accepted for Primary education with QTS with a BTEC rather than alevels so I dont have an alevel in a Curriculum subject
    Though it was a childrens care learning and development BTEC.

If you get enough experience they might over look the a level in english being a C instead of a B. I dont know though
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natt5253)
    I've just been accepted for Primary education with QTS with a BTEC rather than alevels so I dont have an alevel in a Curriculum subject
    Though it was a childrens care learning and development BTEC.

If you get enough experience they might over look the a level in english being a C instead of a B. I dont know though
    x

well in gcse i did child development and got a B - the experience i have is two weeks in a nursery(the preschool/afterschool room) but this was in year ten, but i've also helped out and assisted the primary (3 - 5 age range) dance classes at my local dance school in the past

i look after my 3 year younger cousins, age 1, 4 and 6, but i suppose that doesn't count as work experience - how realistic do you think it would be for me to get work experience before september

ReputationRep:
    You will almost definitely be required to have a minimum of 2 weeks recent experience in a state primary school for a QTS or PGCE course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sam.hunton)
    You will almost definitely be required to have a minimum of 2 weeks recent experience in a state primary school for a QTS or PGCE course.
    do you know how difficult or fairly simple it is to get a place in a school for a experience, i've emailed two of my local schools to enquire

ReputationRep:
    Massive variation in different areas. You will almost definitely need a fairly recent (6 month or less) Enhanced CRB Disclosure. Other than that, you should not email. You should call as many schools as you can and be willing to travel.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.