Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was recently accepted to the masters program in history of art at both the Courtauld and Oxford.

I know the Courtauld is the best for art history, and it's in London, etc; but would I still get a great education at Oxford and leave with a more universally-recognized (outside the art world, anyway) name on my CV? And is there anything to be said about the intellectual environment of Oxford versus that of living in London?

Thoughts, anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Depends on your long-term objectives. I assume your Courtauld offer is for a pretty specific course? The Courtauld is far superior for Art History, as you're aware and all that Oxford could maybe offer is a more varied programme. However, I believe their department is very small, so there probably isn't actually a very wide choice of modules. Cambridge has a larger Art History department, that may have been a better option had you wanted to hedge your bets somewhat.

ReputationRep:
    Courtald. Within the art world it's a more well established course/school than Oxford's

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice, all. At the Courtauld I'd be doing the MA option on the male body in 19c European art.

I think the big question is whether the Courtauld name will hold any weight should I decide (or be forced, rather) to find a job outside the art world.

I just wonder if there's a real discernible difference between the HoA teaching at the two schools.

I'd like to say that I'm focused solely on the quality of the education I would get, etc, but you have to be pragmatic about these choices nowadays, I guess. And because I'm American, very few non-art people recognize the Courtauld name when you mention it.

ReputationRep:
    I think the crucial thing with the Courtauld's programme is whether any of the MA options available happen to coincide with an individual's particular research interests. If not, it probably makes sense to look at more general courses.

Remember that the Courtauld is part of the University of London along with UCL, KCL, LSE, ICL, etc. I notice quite a few people just write 'MA (London)' without stating the specific college. UoL is not as prestigious as Oxford but it must be pretty well known.

ReputationRep:
    Courtauld has the best programme in the discipline. Nobody can push you (or that) out. You'll always be the strongest competition for the job/project/option. 19th century? Did you see the artworks you could have access to on a daily basis? You might regret declining the best opportunity there is later in your life.

ReputationRep:
    hi louis XVII. i've also been accepted at both oxford and the courtauld for an ma in the history of art, although my focus will be in gothic architecture. i am also american. i was wondering if you've made a decision yet-- and whether you've received a letter from oxford (i only heard by email). thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone made a decision yet (and congratulations to those holding offers!)?

I have also been accepted to both the Courtauld MA and the Oxford MSt, in addition to a Canadian MA where I will be fully funded and well-supervised. I was wondering how much of a factor prestige is in deciding which programme to follow or school to attend. Will opting out of a UK MA restrict job opportunities in the UK or Europe (specifically art-related jobs)? Is attending either Oxford or the Courtauld worth going into significant debt over (especially in this economy and in a subject that is not recognized as particularly high-earning)?

ReputationRep:
    I ultimately ended up choosing the Courtauld. After a quick visit to both schools, and talking with my prospective professors, I was much more impressed with the art history community at the Courtauld and what I would be learning in my special option. And after speaking with several friends in the "art world," (auction houses, museums, etc) they said my choice was a good one. However, they also mentioned that a MA from either the Courtauld or Oxford would do me well.

As far as funding goes and whether or not it's worth it to go into debt... my philosophy is that it's only a 9 month program and, while expensive, a name and the connections that come with it might be worth it.

Best of luck choosing!

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.