Turn on thread page Beta

WWE Questions for dissertation.Best online answer will win a prize for their time. watch

ReputationRep:
    How long have you been a fan? Do you watch any other wrestling and which? Fave brand/wrestler?Whats your main reason for watching? (character/storyline/quality/Entertainme… values or other? Any areas the WWE could improve in? Have you ever bought any official/unnoficial merchandise? Have you ever attended a WWE event? What do you think are main weaknesses and strengths of WWE in terms of brand/storyline and productions? Any family or friends also fans? Are wwe prices for ppv etc justified and why? Any areas you think TNA etc are stronger in? How did you first begin watching WWE? How closely would you associate WWE with music industry on scale of 1-10? Do you feel WWE brands appeal more to certain age groups and info? Why do you feel WWE have become so successful over past decade? Scale of 1-10 how bothered would you be if WWE stopped running and the stars moved to another company? Do you feel WWE has strong brand presence through advertising? Do you feel WWE has improved weakened or neither since you began watching?

ReputationRep:
    Could've laid it out better. >_>

I don't watch WWE anymore, due to it being terrible, keep up with it a little though. Here you go anyway:

A proper fan: Jan 2000 - Dec 2008. No. Smackdown/Undertaker. Hmm, just a fan of professional wrestling I guess. Booking and realizing its responsibility as the major wrestling promotion. Just a few videos and plenty of games. No. Predictability and poor writing. No. I wouldn't know for sure as a non-sky owner, but prices seem average, however they rarely deliver value for money. Wrestling ability. Channel 4 started showing it and of course it was big at school in Year 7. 2. Yes, Raw is more about names and gimmicks, SD about wrestling, in theory the younger fans will be more interested in Raw while the veteran fans will prefer SD. They've had no competition so they couldn't fail, also that meant Vince McMahon concentrated on merchandising rather than winning a non-existent ratings war. 1. Yes. Weakened.

ReputationRep:
    It's dead out now, but I was a fan during 98 to about 2004.
    ECW used to run tings, TNA is a poormans WCW.
    Rob Van Dam all day.
    I wanted to see a combination of Eastenders and fighting.
    They could improve their storylines and put over better wrestlers and not settle for the superstar look.
    Bought a few of their games (counts as merchandise right?)
    Nope, never atteneded an event.
    Their weakness is their new target audience being 8 to 16 year olds.
    Friends watch it here and there
    Nah, PPV prices are ridiculous they're not boxing mathces.
    TNA have better technical and speedy wrestlers, actually better wrestlers over all. But underuse the talent they have.
    First started watching after seeing some peers recreating a match in Year 3
    Yes def, the appeal to the 8-16 year old demographics is very apparent to see.
    Because they knew how to run the wrestling company as an entertaining business
    would be bothered by the mark of 3
    Def has a strong brand presence
    WWE has weakened.

ReputationRep:
    About 2 years, which means I came in around the time people think it stopped being good.

No, I don’t think TNA, etc. are nearly as good or entertaining.

Smackdown/Edge

I love the characters and the storylines, in that order. The main reason I watch it is to see my favourite wrestlers in the non-wrestling parts – talking to the audience or in the back where the character development takes place and storylines are woven.

I don’t think they’ve utilised the Guest Host gimmick as well as they could have; it’s the same every week and no guest host really puts their stamp on the individual shows like I feel they could. The Superstars programme could also be pushed more.

I buy both official and unofficial (mostly the former) merchandise on a regular basis.

I have attended several live events and I thought the experience was better than any gig, etc. I’ve ever been to.

I think a weakness is the wrestlers who make matches obvious. For example Big Show, Mark Henry, Great Khali. It’s a bit of a lose/lose situation with them because it’s obvious if they win when they’re against a smaller, weaker opponent and it’s fairly unbelievable when they lose the match.
    It works the other way as well with people we presume will lose, eg. Colin Delaney.
    I don’t know if the keeping of strong, charismatic wrestlers to the two main brands is a good or bad idea as it means ECW is less popular, but at the same time strengthens the already stronger Smackdown and Raw.

I have a couple of friends who are also fans, but nobody in my family has ever watched it. However, my boss and I discuss it at lunchtimes

I think the prices are too high, I know I wouldn’t watch it if I had to pay those prices and there was absolutely no alternative for me watching them. If the PPVs are not readily available via other means, I simply do not watch it and look up the results online. However, I think their merchandise is fairly reasonable.

I haven’t watched an awful lot of other wrestling shows, but my boss makes it sound as if the gimmicks are a bit more extreme on TNA.

I have a friend who I grew close to during our senior years in secondary school, and she was very into WWE. However, when I followed in her footsteps and started watching it, I liked very different wrestlers from her.

I would rate it about 6, due to some of the bands who provide entrance songs for them being significant forces in the music industry.

Sometimes I think it is aimed more towards a younger audience but then you see the huge range of ages of the people in the crowds, and recognise a fair amount of adult jokes in the writing which makes me think that less.

I think it has been marketed well as a product. Also it’s a generational thing, just like a ‘real’ sport, where sons/daughters get into it if a parent is, etc. The scale of the merchandise that is on sale can only have helped as well.

I would be absolutely 9/10 bothered, I love watching it! I don’t even handle it very well when one of my favourite wrestlers are away for a significant amount of time for any reason.

Yes, I feel they have built a strong brand in general, which has earned them brand loyalty on a fairly large scale.

I feel not long after I started watching it it dipped slightly in entertainment value. But I feel it now might actually be at its best since I first started watching it

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe this could actually be a dissertation topic, but here we go anyway.

How long have you been a fan? Late 90s.
    Do you watch any other wrestling and which? Occasional TNA.
    Fave brand/wrestler? I actually had to look at the roster to see wtf is still there. Today: Chris Jericho. Of all time: Steve Austin. Brand: RAW.
    Whats your main reason for watching? Nostalgia and to watch it's steady decline.
    Any areas the WWE could improve in? Writing/booking; better talent
    Have you ever bought any official/unnoficial merchandise? Yes.
    Have you ever attended a WWE event? No.
    What do you think are main weaknesses and strengths of WWE in terms of brand/storyline and productions? Storylines are dreadful, aimed at children.
    Any family or friends also fans? No.
    Are wwe prices for ppv etc justified and why? Never bought one.
    Any areas you think TNA etc are stronger in? None really.
    How did you first begin watching WWE? Highlights on Sky. Was it called Livewire?
    How closely would you associate WWE with music industry on scale of 1-10? 1 - No connection.
    Do you feel WWE brands appeal more to certain age groups and info? Children.
    Why do you feel WWE have become so successful over past decade? Off the back of work done in the previous decade.
    Scale of 1-10 how bothered would you be if WWE stopped running and the stars moved to another company? 6
    Do you feel WWE has strong brand presence through advertising? Not in the UK.
    Do you feel WWE has improved weakened or neither since you began watching? Weakened significantly.

ReputationRep:
    I've been a fan since 1997
    I dont watch any other wrestling
    Raw/John Morrison/Ted dibiase/Shelton Benjamin
    Many areas for improvement, such as pushing potential superstars (above list^), but i think they are starting to realise this!!
    Yes - action figures when i was younger of course
    No, havent attended an event, would like to
    Same old superstars are 'pushed'..HHH, Batista, Cena etc..
    No - only Wmania is worth the 14£ or so!!
    Not many...
    TNA is stronger in NO way.
    Family(cousins etc)
    8 - increasingly so in the past 10 years.
    Yes - Smackdown i believe is designed for a younger audience (mysterion - and other interesting characters)
    So succseful over the past decade? - well it has targeted a new younger audience.
    Yes - not as much as in America though.
    Weakened - although i'm starting to get back into it..but nothing beats the glory days of the attitude era for me.

ReputationRep:
    How long have you been a fan? 1998

Do you watch any other wrestling and which? I watch TNA when I can.
    Fave brand/wrestler?At the moment, AJ Styles, Randy Orton, Kane
    Christian Cage, in the past it'd be a different list.

Whats your main reason for watching? (character/storyline/quality/Entertainme… values or other? It's a laugh, it's interesting, and just jokes.
    Any areas the WWE could improve in? Go back to PG-13, and stuff like the McMahon/Stone Cold storyline
    Have you ever bought any official/unnoficial merchandise? Nah, never.
    Have you ever attended a WWE event? No, but I would like too.
    What do you think are main weaknesses and strengths of WWE in terms of brand/storyline and productions? [BJust weak storylines, the wrestlers aren't even all that no more. Maybe it's because I've gotten older.[/B]
    Any family or friends also fans? Not that I know of.
    Are wwe prices for ppv etc justified and why? I dunno, never brought one.
    Any areas you think TNA etc are stronger in? They have better story lines, and much better action.
    How did you first begin watching WWE? People at school were watching it, and I started to get into it. Plus there was nothing better on, on a Saturday mornign.
    How closely would you associate WWE with music industry on scale of 1-10? 1
    Do you feel WWE brands appeal more to certain age groups and info? I don't know currently, in the past (Attitude Era), then it'd be a yes.
    Why do you feel WWE have become so successful over past decade? Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock. Having matches that would be a PPV match nowadays on a show such as Raw or Smackdown.
    Scale of 1-10 how bothered would you be if WWE stopped running and the stars moved to another company? 1
    Do you feel WWE has strong brand presence through advertising? No.
    Do you feel WWE has improved weakened or neither since you began watching? Weakened. It's just pants now.

ReputationRep:
    How long have you been a fan? Since 1997
    Do you watch any other wrestling and which? Ring of Honor occasionally
    Fave brand/wrestler? Smackdown, Shawn Michaels
    Whats your main reason for watching(character/storyline/quality/Entertainme… values or other? The unique soap-opera and sports mixture.
    Any areas the WWE could improve in? Better drugs and steroid testing, plan for the long term instead of around 2-3 months, a move to more MMA-style of matches.
    Have you ever bought any official/unnoficial merchandise? Yes
    Have you ever attended a WWE event? No
    What do you think are main weaknesses and strengths of WWE in terms of brand/storyline and productions?
    Their strength is that Vince knows how to sell. He's the best promoter in the industry by some margin, and knows what will sell and make the most money. Their biggest weakness is the emphasis on the circus freaks and body-builders, which has lead to steroid abuse and the death of the careers of many great wrestlers, and Vince's obsession with getting into the mainstream media.
    Any family or friends also fans? Yes.
    Are wwe prices for ppv etc justified and why? Given the current quality, PPV prices are quite high.
    Any areas you think TNA etc are stronger in? TNA have a stronger X-division, which has got them on the map.
    How did you first begin watching WWE? The popularity of the attitude era got me interested in watching it.
    How closely would you associate WWE with music industry on scale of 1-10? 4.
    Do you feel WWE brands appeal more to certain age groups and info? Due to the cyclical nature of wrestling, the targeted demographic keeps changing. It has gone from targeting the 10-13 year olds in the 80s to the 18-30 male demographic in the late 90s and early 00s to being PG today.
    Why do you feel WWE have become so successful over past decade?
    The ruthless control Vince has over the company, the folly of WCW not utilizing stars such as Jericho, Eddie, Austin and Foley, the willingness of Vince to take risks in the 80s to go from a territorial to a national system and then with events like Wrestlemania and the coming together of Randy Savage, Hogan and Warrior in the 80s and Rock, Austin, Foley and Michaels in the 90s are all reasons for WWE's success today.
    Scale of 1-10 how bothered would you be if WWE stopped running and the stars moved to another company?
    I would be skeptical of the ability of any promoter to run for the long term, there are very few promoters out there with the creative ability, willingness to taking risks and business acumen that Vince has.

Do you feel WWE has strong brand presence through advertising? Yes.
    Do you feel WWE has improved weakened or neither since you began watching?
    It has definitely weakened, the heights of 97-2001 have yet to be achieved again.

ReputationRep:
    How long have you been a fan? Since early 90s.

Do you watch any other wrestling and which? Watch TNA from time to time, and a little ROH and PWG.

Fave brand/wrestler? Brand, I'd have to say RAW. Wrestler, Chris Jericho.

Whats your main reason for watching? I love it, it entertains me. Always have watched it, always will. Nuff said.

Any areas the WWE could improve in? Get rid of the PG rating, it is too much focus on kids now. They even cover up the blood, how lame. Also, stop putting emphasis on John Cena and Rey Mysterio - they suck.

Have you ever bought any official/unnoficial merchandise? Yes - lots.

Have you ever attended a WWE event? Yes, I have attended around 4 WWE Shows.

What do you think are main weaknesses and strengths of WWE in terms of brand/storyline and productions? As previously mentioned there is too much emphasis on entertaining the kids now.

Any family or friends also fans? Yes, my best friend Chris regularly comes round to watch the PPVs etc. My girlfriend watches sometimes, but I wouldn't call her a diehard fan.

Are WWE prices for ppv etc justified and why? Yes, we get them for a lot cheaper than the USA do still, and don't have to pay extra for Mania. Plus Sky's coverage is fantastic, and I can watch WWE in HD. I shudder to think of the 2000/2001 era when C4 butchered 4 PPVs a year.

Any areas you think TNA etc are stronger in? They aren't, they're rubbish. Can't even sort a PPV deal for the UK, so currently their PPVs are only on BTVision...who actually has BT Vision? lol

How did you first begin watching WWE? On Sky TV, mainly highlight shows, then we eventually got RAW etc.

How closely would you associate WWE with music industry on scale of 1-10?
    There is a connection in that they are both forms of entertainment, and WWE often uses music on their shows etc. Often bands will perform at WrestleMania also.

Do you feel WWE brands appeal more to certain age groups and info? Children at the moment.

Why do you feel WWE have become so successful over past decade? Attitude era saved them really (1998 - 2002). Also the obvious failings of ECW and WCW shutting done and being bought by Vince.

Scale of 1-10 how bothered would you be if WWE stopped running and the stars moved to another company? 10

Do you feel WWE has strong brand presence through advertising?
    In a way, but it is mainly targeted through their programming.

It is up and down, 96/97 era and when the nWo was coming into WCW it went down, but then it shot back up. Now it is in decline again, but has got better than it was in say 2007/2008. It will start to go back up again, mark my words.

ReputationRep:
    How long have you been a fan?

Since No Way Out in Feb 2001 or so. I remember the HHH/Austin storyline at the time hooking me.

Do you watch any other wrestling and which?

WWE, TNA, any major storylines in CMLL and I keep up-to-date with other major promotions (ROH, DGUSA, NJPW etc)

Fave brand/wrestler?

Don't really have a favourite per se. Put a gun to my head and I'd say Kurt Angle and Shawn Michaels. I just enjoy watching anyone who is a great all around performer both in the ring and on the mic.

Whats your main reason for watching? (character/storyline/quality/Entertainme… values or other?

For the great theater in can provide. Good examples would be the Punk/Hardy storyline in 2009 or the HBK/Taker match at WM25.

Any areas the WWE could improve in?

By not patronising the audience so much, especially through the announcers and by not marketing their product at kids so much

Have you ever bought any official/unnoficial merchandise?

No

Have you ever attended a WWE event?

No

What do you think are main weaknesses and strengths of WWE in terms of brand/storyline and productions?

High, almost unparalleled, production values. When they want to try they can deliver an unmatched product for wrestling fans. Unfortunately they often, seemingly, choose to get lazy and just book gimmick matches or bring in celebrities to hide their shortcomings.

Any family or friends also fans?

No

Are wwe prices for ppv etc justified and why?

Tough one to answer. PPVs are much cheaper in the UK than the US but we don't have that same culture of putting big sporting events on PPV. There's a large section of WWE's UK audience who probably won't pay for a PPV on principle, even Wrestlemania.

Any areas you think TNA etc are stronger in?

Since the fall of the X-Division, no. A few years ago TNA PPVs were a lot better in the terms of average match quality. That isn't the case any longer.

How did you first begin watching WWE?

When Sunday Night Heat was on Channel 4 or 5.

Do you feel WWE brands appeal more to certain age groups and info?

Teen-young adult males. A lot of older fans have become disenchanted with the product. I don't particularly feel the product is suited to kids per se.

I would have said they peaked in the early 2000s but maybe that is just me. PPVs, house show attendances, merchandise sales etc are all down in recent times.

Scale of 1-10 how bothered would you be if WWE stopped running and the stars moved to another company?

10. (Are you a wrestling fan asking these questions as it doesn't feel like it at all)

Yes. The WWE brand is a bigger draw the individual wrestlers who they promote.

Stayed roughly the same, although match quality has improved even if the quality of their TV shows has declined.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scishboy)
    How long have you been a fan? Do you watch any other wrestling and which? Fave brand/wrestler?Whats your main reason for watching? (character/storyline/quality/Entertainme… values or other? Any areas the WWE could improve in? Have you ever bought any official/unnoficial merchandise? Have you ever attended a WWE event? What do you think are main weaknesses and strengths of WWE in terms of brand/storyline and productions? Any family or friends also fans? Are wwe prices for ppv etc justified and why? Any areas you think TNA etc are stronger in? How did you first begin watching WWE? How closely would you associate WWE with music industry on scale of 1-10? Do you feel WWE brands appeal more to certain age groups and info? Why do you feel WWE have become so successful over past decade? Scale of 1-10 how bothered would you be if WWE stopped running and the stars moved to another company? Do you feel WWE has strong brand presence through advertising? Do you feel WWE has improved weakened or neither since you began watching?
    Im willing to bet money that this competition is fixed just like the actual thing :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    What subject is this dissertation for? And what is the prize you are offering?

ReputationRep:
    How long have you been a fan?
    Since October 1999-Now

Do you watch any other wrestling and which?
    Nope

Fave brand/wrestler?
    Smackdown/ Randy orton

Whats your main reason for watching? (character/storyline/quality/Entertainme… values or other?
    Watch for storyline and characters as there better then any other wrestling company and I’ve been a fan too long 

Any areas the WWE could improve in?
    The storylines by making them more realistic and feel that every match is important and not just to fill up a card.

Have you ever bought any official/unnoficial merchandise?
    Buy DVD’s and used to buy the shirts when I was younger Lol.

Have you ever attended a WWE event?
    I’ve attended House shows in Newcastle but I haven’t went to an official T.V event.

Too much of the same matches and same wrestlers in Main event spots, (Sheamus small run at the top has ended for now and the main event at mania are the same 4 main stars for the 5 years)
    Also the new PPV’s are terrible for using the same gimmick match and making them feel boring and repetitive to watch.
    Main strengths are good youth even if they aren’t pushed yet.

Any family or friends also fans?
    My sister and a few friends watch before I did that’s how I got into wrestling through my sister.

Are wwe prices for ppv etc justified and why?
    I don’t buy any of the PPV’s just get them on DVD and I don’t think justified as I know it comes from America and it’s costs for sky to import it here but still it costs the same as a DVD which you can watch any time.

Any areas you think TNA etc are stronger in?
    Nope even Hogan doesn’t help due to him pushing his friends and not using the youth assets in the company to evolve TNA to become a true rival to the WWE, TNA need to make storylines more easy to understand as they have heels/faces switching each week, but if TNA had one strength it would be AJ Styles being I think the best young wrestler in America.

How did you first begin watching WWE?

Do you feel WWE brands appeal more to certain age groups and info?
    Not really because due to the PG rating in the WWE then the whole of the WWE is focused more on young kids as showing by CM punks character being based on not using drink or drugs and that John Cena the merchandising machine who kids buy his products is still at the top even though he is hated by a lot of adults for being unbelievable and destroying the real feel of wrestling (even though it’s fake people like to think what there watching is real for the stories to work)

Because there challengers have been brought by them and TNA still needs at least another 5 years before it maybe could be seen as a rival.

6 because I am loyal to the name but if my favourite stars moved to another company I would most likely try and follow them and may get interested in that new company but to be honest I would most likely lose interest in wrestling.

I don’t believe that in the U.K it’s as widely as I think they could in terms of there are a few adverts on sky sports and that’s really it, if they had more adverts on more sky channels then I think that could help with more numbers watching.

I think it has weakened but that’s more due to the era’s then the talent, the attitude area allowed wrestlers to have wild characters that were exciting and the wrestlers had great charisma to help bring there characters and wrestling to the nations attention and the worlds attention considering that wrestling became more popular during the 90’s to now as the 80’s, now with the PG rating and the robotic style of characters (Cena) there aren’t many characters for fans to truly like, expections are Undertaker, Orton and edge who have shown charisma that excites fans.

ReputationRep:
    You are doing a dissertation on WWE? You are my hero :borat:

Since 1999
    TNA very occasionally
    Raw / HBK
    Sometimes watch cos it has everything - good stunts, good characters, good stories
    No
    Yes - Insurrextion
    Strength is the depth of talent. Weakness is repetition.
    Yes, brother
    Yes for the 6 best PPVs but no for the crap ones
    TNA have better talent on one show; WWE spread it out
    First began watching because of friends
    6. They associate with certain niche U.S. rock bands but not with anybody else
    Consistency and recognition. People know what RAW is, and have known what they get with it for like 20 years
    10, DISASTER
    Very much in the States, not so much here. They are more reliant on live events than advertising in the UK
    Weakened from 2000-2004, but has improved again since 2005

ReputationRep:
    what is the title of this dissertation?

it sounds fun

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 5, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.