Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Universities seem to be making a big fuss about their huge array of societies and things. Does everyone join some society or other? Do they really add to the experience of being at uni? Just wondering what people who are at uni or have been reckon. Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    I think they do add something, yes. Gives you more things to do and exposes you to a whole bunch of people who are interested in the same thing you are. Plus they often have socials and stuff if you fancy going out with a different group of people to your hallmates/coursemates. I ride every week, went on snow tour, dance (Latin & Ballroom) every week and do things quite often with Italian Soc...I'm in a good few other socs too but am a bit rubbish at keeping up with them.

ReputationRep:
    yeh societies are amazing fun.
    you meet people you wouldnt otherwise meet, they're probably the main thing i enjoy about uni life

ReputationRep:
    Not sure that they're that important. I only joined the five-a-side one in my first year, and I've not met anyone through it or taken part in any soc nights.

ReputationRep:
    Over at LSE, at least for freshers, the societies scene is pretty dead. In freshers week, people sign up to loads (between 10 and 20 for most people), but very few people do anything regularly with any of their societies. The exceptions to these would be sports ones and career ones (if you're inclined that way). This clearly doesn't reflect on ALL students, but on the whole I find people don't bother with societies much and just enjoy life with their hall mates.

ReputationRep:
    i joined a bazillion different societies in freshers week...and didnt go to a singe one of them
    a few weeks ago i joined a couple which im sticking to. Theyre fun, they add some change and you meet loads of awesome new people

ReputationRep:
    I joined geography [shocking, I know] and fell-walking at the beginning of last term. I did go on one hiking trip with the fell-walkers, but they're boring as hell and I prefer walking on my own. Geography is basically an excuse for me to go out with the mates I've already made and get smashed. Nobody else I know actually does anything with societies.

Still, I think that it's important to try, and also important for them to be pushed by the university as a social outlet. Lots of people do love getting involved and being a part of societies, but similarly lots of people simply don't like 'em.

ReputationRep:
    Ok cool. Cheers :-D.
    I'll probably end up doing the same in all honesty. Join a million and one societies and if any of them turn out to be worth sticking with then great! But not be disappointed if they turn out to be barely worth it.

It depends what you're interested in. I do Debating Soc and Cult Film Soc and they're both great fun.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.