Turn on thread page Beta

Overcoming depression (without using phrase "manning up")... watch

Announcements

Anon or delete please.

Hey guys,

I've had ongoing problems with depression and anxiety for about 7 years. I'm not as bad as some and I have times when I'm happy and things seem ok, but that often feels outweighed by the negative and I feel it really affects my quality of life. The seemingly smallest things can tip me over sometimes, it makes me feel pathetic. I put so much pressure on myself and am sick of self-loathing. Some of my close friends don't understand and think I should "man up". I often agree with them but when I'm low I feel I can't do it - I think I may just be a really weak person Anyway, I'm trying to seek help - again - but it is starting to feel like my laziness/lack of motivation/depression/perfectionism/rubbishness at dealing with stress will haunt me forever and stop me from ever achieving my goals. I have been through so many bouts of local and university counselling now and I keep thinking I'm "recovered" but then I start screwing everything up again. I've signed up for cognitive behavioural therapy - there will be a lengthy waiting list but I am hoping it will help more than regular counselling. What have people's experiences been with CBT and antidepressants? Has anyone been haunted by similar problems but managed to overcome them or at least develop reasonable coping strategies thanks to counselling/etc? I could really use some motivational experiences if anyone is willing to share... thank you

ReputationRep:
    snap out of it!....and get laid.

ReputationRep:
    Try the gym. It can help raise your confidence as well as the natural endorphins will help to cheer you right up

ReputationRep:
    Eh, this post is something that seems to describe me totally, I have only been having problems for 6 years though and I had about 3 CBT appointments but told them I was getting better so they cancelled them!

I also keep getting told that I should stop living in the past, go to gym etc and I dont find that as simple as I go to the gym 1 or 2 times a week and feel phyically sick often which is probably due to in the last 3 years due to the depression hitting its peak I have been eating more junk and gained about 5 stone and each year feel progressively far worse even if I am healhier and doing better.

I too would like the answer as its hard for me being 26 and surrounded by under 21's who want to party and look good and give me awful comments about my looks or because I am quiet.

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you can't man up, or soldier on, get a book on the subject or get pro help.

Not with depression (still something I need to face :sad:) but I overcame a mental health disorder with CBT, it's fantastic stuff as long as you get on with the therapist and are honest.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 11, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.