Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squirrel)
    They're more just funny really. I don't know of anyone at Oxford who actually takes the whole thing particularly seriously...
    I thought it was more like 'OH MY GOD XYZ COLLEGE HAVE WITHDRAWN FROM THE STUDENT UNION, PARLIAMENT'S ABOUT TO COLLAPSE, SARS, THE PLAGUE, NATIONAL CATACLYSM'

ReputationRep:
    Teddy Hall haha!!!! Used to be Queens' hall of residence and apparently they still own the front quad lol!!!! Ted hall is reknowned for having loutish rugby players; moreso than most colleges. Also tends to be quite upper class and snobbish. I thought all this was just a nasty rumour until I had tutes there and realised it was largely true lol!!!! Also their ballot box went down at OUSU elections because their returning officer messed the ballot papers up...duh!!!!
    As far as college rivalries go its all pathetic and stupid. We tend to remain neutral in college wars, although ChCh seem to think they're at war with us for some pathetic male reason... :rolleyes:

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squirrel)
    They're more just funny really. I don't know of anyone at Oxford who actually takes the whole thing particularly seriously...
    Some do... Preparing the Troops

"Once individual students are subjected to attacks, or when the college authorities need to get involved, you know it's gone too far."

ReputationRep:
    Is it true someone once painted 'St Hugh's Annexe' on the front of Magdalen? If that's true then its darned funny!!!!

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    i'm all for college rilvary - i can't wait! (as long as Jesus always comes out on top )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emzie)
    i'm all for college rilvary - i can't wait! (as long as Jesus always comes out on top )
    Me kinda too , reminds me of the warring houses at Hogwarts!

ReputationRep:
    yeh our houses at school are also EXTREMELY competitive and have huge rivalries, luckily i'm in the house that has won for the last 6 years its sooo much fun - who cares if its immature - its all good!

ReputationRep:
    I've read some pretty odd things about college rivalry and would love to know if there is even a grain of truth in the reports. I read that some students from Pembroke (not sure if this is the right college?) painted one of Christ Church's cows pink (I wasn't aware ChCh had any cows, but hey) and the animal licked itself and died. ChCh then nicked Pembroke's (?) cat Molly in retaliation, and the two are now 'at war'. Is this true, or someone's idea of a joke?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minta)
    I've read some pretty odd things about college rivalry and would love to know if there is even a grain of truth in the reports. I read that some students from Pembroke (not sure if this is the right college?) painted one of Christ Church's cows pink (I wasn't aware ChCh had any cows, but hey) and the animal licked itself and died. ChCh then nicked Pembroke's (?) cat Molly in retaliation, and the two are now 'at war'. Is this true, or someone's idea of a joke?

I heard that too!! In the Pembroke JCR, one of the 2nd year historian's told me!! Where did you hear that??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    I heard that too!! In the Pembroke JCR, one of the 2nd year historian's told me!! Where did you hear that??
    I read it in an issue of the Oxford Student. So it's really true, then?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minta)
    I read it in an issue of the Oxford Student. So it's really true, then?!
    I believe so; that's what the 2nd yr students told me..i doubt they would make it up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minta)
    Yeah it's all true, except Molly being chucked off the tower is probably a false rumour.

Two years ago a Christ Church cow was famously painted pink by a "loyal troop" from across the road; unfortunately, the unsuspecting creature licked itself and died. As Pembroke had been previously accusing their neighbours of stealing their college cat, Molly, rumour has it that the feline was chucked off the top of Christ Church's Tom Tower following the incident.

ReputationRep:
    If I get in then I am looking forward to this whole rivalry thing, though unfortunately Worcester doesn't seem to have many enemies. I say unfortnate because it would be a little bit of fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Yeah it's all true, except Molly being chucked off the tower is probably a false rumour.

Two years ago a Christ Church cow was famously painted pink by a "loyal troop" from across the road; unfortunately, the unsuspecting creature licked itself and died. As Pembroke had been previously accusing their neighbours of stealing their college cat, Molly, rumour has it that the feline was chucked off the top of Christ Church's Tom Tower following the incident.
    Is Molly still AWOL?

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.