Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I am going to be studying in Berlin next year and know nothing about the differences between the two major unis in Berlin.

I would like to find out which is better fun for international students looking to have fun and not work too hard. I am there for the fun of a yr studying abroad, not the qualification!

Many thanks!

ReputationRep:
    u will need to be able to speak german im affraid

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, I know both unis pretty good but I am not really sure which uni would be more 'fun'. But the location of the Humboldt-University (right in the centre) is definitely much better than that of the Free University which is located in Dahlem, a kind of posh suburb in the south-west of Berlin.
    What subject are you doing, btw?
    Ahh, and Night_Hawk is right, of course, you have to know German.

ReputationRep:
    There are quite a few courses being taught in English. You still need to show that you speak German but it might be less relevant for exchange students.

HU is the older uni and right in the centre. It's really good in Natural Sciences (received massive funding lately). FU is more known for social sciences. In terms of reputation and ranking, there's nearly no difference. Some ppl say that the the HU has more prestige but objectively speaking the FU ranks similar. Thus, in the end it only matters which course you wanna do and if you get in.

ReputationRep:
    Just look at the Course, as you are in Berlin it is up to you to have fun. It doesn't really depend on the University, more on the course and what you are expecting.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.