Turn on thread page Beta

Can I "apply" to an extra university in my case? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Okay well basically I'm on a gap year right now and I retook some modules in January. This means I get my final A-level results in March which is way before everyone else who is applying to university this year (I think they get their results in August).

Does this mean that in March when I get my results I can just call up a university that I never applied to on UCAS and ask them if they will accept me? Or would they have already made all the offers available and have no spaces for me? Would I need to apply through UCAS?

I'm just wondering because seeing as I got a bit of an advantage over everyone else of finishing early I'm wondering if that allows me to maybe expand my choices in a way?

ReputationRep:
    No, all applications are handled via UCAS you can't just phone universities up and say "oi give us a place on the sly yeah?"

5 choices, that's all you're getting I'm afraid. If you flunk the offers you have to apply through clearing in summer or apply again properly in autumn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Koobideh)
    I got a bit of an advantage over everyone else

You actually have a disadvantage in that you are applying after the deadline for equal consideration has passed, and many universities simply won't consider your application. You really need to speak to the admissions tutors before applying to make sure you don't waste any choices, and apply as soon as possible (and certainly before your results are published).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    You actually have a disadvantage in that you are applying after the deadline for equal consideration has passed, and many universities simply won't consider your application. You really need to speak to the admissions tutors before applying to make sure you don't waste any choices, and apply as soon as possible (and certainly before your results are published).
    Lol no I already applied to university through UCAS. I've also got offers.

But I mean like if I feel like exploring a bit more, would it be possible for me to do that considering I get my results so much earlier than everybody else? Because like in August when everyone has their results they can just call up a university, tell them their results and see if they will be given a place there. I'm just wondering if I can do that in March, for a university that was not one of my 5 choices on my UCAS application.

ReputationRep:

But I mean like if I feel like exploring a bit more, would it be possible for me to do that considering I get my results so much earlier than everybody else? Because like in August when everyone has their results they can just call up a university, tell them their results and see if they will be given a place there. I'm just wondering if I can do that in March, for a university that was not one of my 5 choices on my UCAS application.
    No.

ReputationRep:

No, you get 5 choices and that is it. If you don't get any offers then you are able to go through clearing which obviously gives you other options. But you can't just ring up and ask for a place. 5 choices and that is it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 11, 2010
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.