Turn on thread page Beta

Do a lot of second years live in halls? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking about staying in halls next year but I'm staying at home for my first year just now, anyway, I was wondering if a lot of 2nd years still lived in halls or are they more likely to get flats with people they meet in their 1st year?

I'm still thinking about the idea of halls. I'm not sure I like the idea of it :p: It definitely has its advantages and disadvantages.

ReputationRep:
    You can't go back into halls at my university in your 2nd year unless you're an international student or you have a disability. You have to move out into private housing if neither of those things apply to you.

ReputationRep:
    to answer the title question, no, not many, because the university need the halls, unsurprisingly, to house the first years. there are bound to be a few 'returners' though. :cute:

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure most universities don't let second years live in halls without good reason.

some do. mine and another i know of as friends went back to halls in the 3rd yr. its not uncommon.

ReputationRep:
    I know a few people who live in halls who are 2nd years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pamelaa)
    I know a few people who live in halls who are 2nd years.
    /thread

ReputationRep:
    Most second years in halls are those who failed to find friends to live with in their first year.

ReputationRep:
    I heard if you apply really early you stand a chance

ReputationRep:
    A 3rd of hall spaces at Loughborough are given to returners - a mix of committee, finalists returning from placement and those who just love halls.

I'd say go for it, I'm in halls the first time for my final year and loving it =D

ReputationRep:
    At my uni, Northumbria, they hardly have enough space for the 1st years. I was initially refused Halls, as I live about 20 miles away, which they said was close enough. They didn't account for the fact that where I live is a crappy little village with appalling transport links. Got it eventually though after sending a few letters.

I'd not have wanted to live in halls this year though. I didn't like most of my flatmates, and the only one I particularly liked was really quiet and kept to herself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chalky1989)
    At my uni, Northumbria, they hardly have enough space for the 1st years. I was initially refused Halls, as I live about 20 miles away, which they said was close enough. They didn't account for the fact that where I live is a crappy little village with appalling transport links. Got it eventually though after sending a few letters.

I'd not have wanted to live in halls this year though. I didn't like most of my flatmates, and the only one I particularly liked was really quiet and kept to herself.
    How likely is it they'd have accomodation for insurance people? Ones that lives ages away

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.