Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just want to know why so many people would choose Pharmacy instead of Dentistry or Medicine. Ok, some people on here would say that their grades are letting them down, so pharmacy is the only option. But many people do get the grades for Medicine/Dentistry but still choose pharmacy.

so Why do you want to do pharmacy? (Excluding that you don't have the grades for it)

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to do pharmacy originally because I wanted to open my own community pharmacy that provided the clinical services that other community pharmacies do not offer. Being the first point of contact for many minor ailments patients, and giving proper advice on medicines use, was another main reason for me wanting to do pharmacy.

Also, pharmacy had many more routes to go into right after the degree. I realised that if i didn't want to do community pharmacy i could easily go into hospital, industrial and many many more areas of pharmacy. I am really happy this is possible in pharmacy as i am soon to start my training year in Hospital pharmacy, with a view to undertake a PhD and pursue a career in research and clinical care in the future.

ReputationRep:
    The grades thing is such a fallacy. The only reason the grades are lower for pharmacy than medicine and dentistry is because we have had about 14 new schools of pharmacy open in the last 10 years and they are all falling over themselves to get students. This happened so suddenly due to the shortage of pharmacists- the Pharmaceutical Society suddenly let it be known that we needed to train up more pharmacists. If you apply cos your grades are low YOU WILL STRUGGLE! The course is still as hard as it always was when I applied, when denstistry was the backup and pharmacy had the same offer grades (BBB) as medicine (I'm an old pharmacist!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medic1992)
    I just want to know why so many people would choose Pharmacy instead of Dentistry or Medicine. Ok, some people on here would say that their grades are letting them down, so pharmacy is the only option. But many people do get the grades for Medicine/Dentistry but still choose pharmacy.

so Why do you want to do pharmacy? (Excluding that you don't have the grades for it)
    Apologies if I'm stating the obvious here but maybe because they want to be a pharmacist? Not everyone who wants to work in healthcare wants to be a doctor or a dentist! I, for one, have no desire to be a doctor or dentist.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.