How are my stats? weight etc watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm looking to gain weight (more muscle). These are my current stats:

Height: 184 cm
    Weight: 79.5 kg
    Body Fat: 18.7
    BMI: 23.5

Would you say that these stats are bad? What should be my target stats if I want to bulk up but get defined as well. I go the gym occasionally, but I want to start going more regularly like 3/4 times a week.

I find it quite hard to put on weight, and after a bit of research I've come to the conclusion that these are a few of the things I need to do:

Lift Heavy weights at about 8-10 reps
    Do compound exercises like Squat & deadlift
    Eat lots of food, approximately 3500 calories p/day. 4-5 meals a day

I'm thinking of buying Creatine and Protein- would this help?

Any more help would be appreciated. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    anyone?

ReputationRep:
    i wouldnt worry too much on stats, look in the mirror, see areas yuou want to improve and just do it.
    make sure you get down the gym, and get intoa routine of going.

start with the machine weights to practise good form, slow and steady lifting and lowering.

i would advise watching those on the freeweights aswell, read up or watch videos on good exercises.
    also there isa gym instructor there for a reason, get assistance.

gym friends are great.

personal trainers are available in most good gyms and these i recomend.

and boxing does wonders for your body, consider looking into your local boxing gym aswell.

ReputationRep:
    Depending on how you want to look, your weight usually isn't an issue. It's all about body fat and proportional muscle mass.

Someone with 15 inch arms and 10% body fat is going to look much better than someone with 17 inch arms and 15% body fat.. Keep that in mind.

There are a myriad different of training types; arguments for and against them and diets. The internet is not the best place to find yourself a concrete training plan, it's only good for as a guideline.

Seeing as you have not mention strength in your post I assume you're going for vanity rather than functionality, for this I recommend a bodybuilder style training regimen. So high intensity and higher volume, what this basically comes down to is lots of reps, muscle isolation and cardio.

Try something like this to get started, split your timetable into two weeks and do the following.

Week 1 - Bulk up

6 Exercises for each muscle group, set structure 4 sets of 8,6,6,6 reps for exercises you find difficult and 5 sets of 12,10,8,6,12 for the rest (last 12 being a drop set)

*Monday - Chest and Biceps
    *Wendesday - Back and Triceps
    *Friday - Legs and Shoulders
    *Sunday - Abs and a light run

Diet Lots of lean proteins, and 'good' carb sources. Try go wholemeal or, better still, gluten free for things like pasta and bread. Lots of veg, and don't be shy of fat, just make sure its good fat!
    6 Meals a day, three being more substantial interleaved with 3 'snack meals' (protein shake + piece of fruit, or oatcakes with cottage cheese for example)

Week 2 - Toning

Again 6 exercises for each group, but lowering the weight and upping the reps, this makes lifting a little more like cardio. Set structure should be something like 5x12 or 4x12, going as high as 20 reps per set for exercises like abdominal crunches and calf raises.

*Monday - Back and Biceps
    *Tuesday - Legs and Abs
    *Wednesday - Interval training - for you to decide what to do
    *Thursday - Chest and Abs
    *Friday - Shoulders and Ticeps
    *Sunday - Hill running

Diet Same as the bulking week except try to cut down just a little on the calories (not too much!) and switch things like beef with good oily fish and turkey. Keep the fat down also.

This is not for the faint-hearted especially with the one day of rest on week 2.

Eat the 'toning diet' on the rest days of the 'bulking week' and vice versa.

**Remember this is only a guideline, your body will tell you what you need so listen to it! Also, don't worry about the temporal arrangement too much, your body doesn't know what day of the week it is.

Good luck!

P.S.

So you have an idea about the person telling you this!

I was on a similar program and I got to 90Kg with 9.5% body fat at 183cm. While not as strong as I perhaps should have been I was a beast (possibly too big).

Now my goals have changed and I train for strength/power, I'm 80Kg but I bench 110kg quite comfortably, I'm unsure of my body fat, but I would guess somewhere around 13%.

ReputationRep:
    I second what 'thenuts' said. I boxed for a couple of years and it did wonders to my body. Should probably take it up again.

ReputationRep:
    Do Starting Strength.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your replies guys, especially Basstard

ReputationRep:
    Starting Strength or West Side 4 Skinny *******s. Seriously... the guys who made these programs are professionals... they know what they are doing. Do them. Google gogogo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Basstard)
    Depending on how you want to look, your weight usually isn't an issue. It's all about body fat and proportional muscle mass.

this is retarded.

OP: do Rippetoe's Starting Strength programme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by korektphool)
    this is retarded.

OP: do Rippetoe's Starting Strength programme.
    Didn't even read the second sentence of my post, smh.

What has starting strength go to do with "bulking up but getting defined". Notice the OP didn't mention strength at all?

Calling me retarded and you can't even seem to read :top:

ReputationRep:
    Try something like this to get started, split your timetable into two weeks and do the following.

Week 1 - Bulk up

6 Exercises for each muscle group, set structure 4 sets of 8,6,6,6 reps for exercises you find difficult and 5 sets of 12,10,8,6,12 for the rest (last 12 being a drop set)

Diet Lots of lean proteins, and 'good' carb sources. Try go wholemeal or, better still, gluten free for things like pasta and bread. Lots of veg, and don't be shy of fat, just make sure its good fat!
    6 Meals a day, three being more substantial interleaved with 3 'snack meals' (protein shake + piece of fruit, or oatcakes with cottage cheese for example)

Week 2 - Toning

Again 6 exercises for each group, but lowering the weight and upping the reps, this makes lifting a little more like cardio. Set structure should be something like 5x12 or 4x12, going as high as 20 reps per set for exercises like abdominal crunches and calf raises.

*Tuesday - Legs and Abs
    *Sunday - Hill running

Diet Same as the bulking week except try to cut down just a little on the calories (not too much!) and switch things like beef with good oily fish and turkey. Keep the fat down also.
    Epic routine fail. I mean, I don't know where to begin on how awful this is.

Oh, and on the subject of strength training: for a beginner, there's really very little difference between aiming for strength and aiming for size. No matter what the ultimate goal, a beginner needs to build a good base, and the best way to do this is with a solid routine of heavy compound lifts that will add mass and increase strength, not some needlessly complex 'bodybuilding specific' program. A new trainee needs a big diet and about 6 different compound lifts, and that's pretty much it.

ReputationRep:

Someone with 15 inch arms and 10% body fat is going to look much better than someone with 17 inch arms and 15% body fat.. Keep that in mind.

There are a myriad different of training types; arguments for and against them and diets. The internet is not the best place to find yourself a concrete training plan, it's only good for as a guideline.

Seeing as you have not mention strength in your post I assume you're going for vanity rather than functionality, for this I recommend a bodybuilder style training regimen. So high intensity and higher volume, what this basically comes down to is lots of reps, muscle isolation and cardio.

Week 1 - Bulk up

Week 2 - Toning

*Tuesday - Legs and Abs
    *Sunday - Hill running

This is not for the faint-hearted especially with the one day of rest on week 2.

Eat the 'toning diet' on the rest days of the 'bulking week' and vice versa.

**Remember this is only a guideline, your body will tell you what you need so listen to it! Also, don't worry about the temporal arrangement too much, your body doesn't know what day of the week it is.

Good luck!

P.S.

So you have an idea about the person telling you this!

I was on a similar program and I got to 90Kg with 9.5% body fat at 183cm. While not as strong as I perhaps should have been I was a beast (possibly too big).

Now my goals have changed and I train for strength/power, I'm 80Kg but I bench 110kg quite comfortably, I'm unsure of my body fat, but I would guess somewhere around 13%.
    Terrible advice. OP should be beginning with full body routines not **** splits.

ReputationRep:
    I started on that routine, and got huge. I've since moved on.

No point bashing me, I'd love to see how much you 'experts' lift compared to me.

Also, he's not exactly a complete novice, he said he goes to the gym occasionally and he's got pretty average body fat. Taking that into consideration with his weight/height i'd say he has a base!!!

Instead of regurgitating the same **** all the time, read the posts and think a little, not everyone has the same goals, and what's best is subjective - everyone is going to have different opinions as I said in my original post.

Anyway, you can't argue with results, I put on 14 Kg of muscle in just over a year. And notice my BF% in my post.......

ReputationRep:
    Also, he's not exactly a complete novice
    He's still a novice.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't even read the second sentence of my post, smh.

What has starting strength go to do with "bulking up but getting defined". Notice the OP didn't mention strength at all?

Calling me retarded and you can't even seem to read :top:
    Your whole post was a fail, not just those few lines.

OP should begin with a full-body routine than some ****** up 'bodybuilding routine'.

ReputationRep:
    Protein is a must buy in my opinion. for get creatine for now, although I'm just starting another cycle on it. its not much bang for your buck helps a little to get the one more rep. I only really use it to get past plateaus. if you do buy it anyway, dont get the tablets, get the powder. tablet might be more convenient but absorption sucks and they are more expensive.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.