Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I always get my hair highlighted and pay a fortune for it but everytime it goes the same ashy grey-ish blonde, I want bright golden blonde hair and was thinking of using a home dye, good idea or not? And can anyone reccomend one,
    cheers

ReputationRep:
    secret is toning, im not sure with golden tones because it clashes with my skin tone but i always use schwarzkoppff 00a with clairol toner

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polarbbz)
    secret is toning, im not sure with golden tones because it clashes with my skin tone but i always use schwarzkoppff 00a with clairol toner
    I have the same problem OP has. How does the toning work though? Do I first color it normally, condition and then do the toner right after? I read u have to use toner on damp hair. My hair is like OP's an ashblonde, but I wanna stay like it. If I buy ash blonde again I have a feeling it goes more and more ash which I dont want. So what should I do? Thanks for your help anyways!

@OP: I always dye my hair at home and it works great and is super cheap. Im just going to Sally Beauty Supply and buy my color and developer. I use Ion creme color in light ash blonde w a 40 developer since I actually have dark brown hair. Depending on your natural hair color, u may be going down to a 20 developer .
    If u have long hair, use to color 4 oz color and 4 oz developer, if your hair is shorter ( shoulder lenght and up) mix 2 oz color w 2 oz developer. I know it sounds complicated but everybody at the beauty supply can give u advice to!

Hope this helps- good luck!

ReputationRep:
    oh basically what i do is after ive bleached my hair i blow dry it ( but really you should leave it till next day) and you put the toner on dry hair, it is one of the fewe things id remove before the devellper time says otherwise tht purple hint can be a *****
    and you ALWAYS do on dry hair if its a diy job!

ReputationRep:

Thanks! Not to be creepy but do you have any pictures of your hair?

ReputationRep:
    Also is a toner another dye? I can't find any, ugh i feel so silly

ReputationRep:
    yup sure ill chancge my dp for a minute , its a kind of dye look for clairol 56 dye i think then look thru shades

ReputationRep:
    i apologise i promise i am not a total poser just only ones i can find atm cuz im actually kinda black hair now

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...45678_5299.jpg thats from lightening it from light brown in one go ( its after a long flight so it looks in bad condition but it was cuz of cabin )

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...85_6982125.jpg thats about 6 months later , as long as you constantly condition its ok

as ive said i use very very cool tones but you can find the suitable toner easily ill link you to one in a sec
    quote if links dont work!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloise87)
    Also is a toner another dye? I can't find any, ugh i feel so silly
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Clairol-Born.../dp/B000KU70D0 thats where i buy them, i think in the UK you can actually buy them in tescos anyway cuz the p & p is more expensive than the product!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks sooo much for your help!

ReputationRep:
    i apologise i promise i am not a total poser just only ones i can find atm cuz im actually kinda black hair now

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...45678_5299.jpg thats from lightening it from light brown in one go ( its after a long flight so it looks in bad condition but it was cuz of cabin )

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...85_6982125.jpg thats about 6 months later , as long as you constantly condition its ok

as ive said i use very very cool tones but you can find the suitable toner easily ill link you to one in a sec
    quote if links dont work!
    O.M.G I WANT your hair!!!! :stomp: Colour AND style - :love: :love: :love: :drool: :drool:

It is perfect. Exactly what I want - I can never get it! Grrrrrrr.......

Love your style :p:

ETA: OK so the Schwarzkof colour you use - is that basically a bleach? Cos I'm scared to use actual bleach on my hair, so I just go for the lightest 'non-bleach' box colour...at the mo I think it's Nice 'n' Easy SB2 (summer blonde 2) which was the lightest I could find. (To be honest I haven't done it for ages but doing it again this morning - worried how it'll turn out as I'm naturally light brown hair colur and my roots are like, 2 inches hehe! Hope the colour doesn't go patchy :-S)

So anyway, using a bleach, is it kind of like - "no going back" haha?! Does it sorta ruin your hair? I know you've said to condition loads....but I mean like if you decided you wanted to go darker again would you be able to or does bleach just totally mess up your hair? :-S thanks for any advice you can give!!! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missantje)

@OP: I always dye my hair at home and it works great and is super cheap. Im just going to Sally Beauty Supply and buy my color and developer. I use Ion creme color in light ash blonde w a 40 developer since I actually have dark brown hair.
    You use 40 vol peroxide on your scalp!? That is sooo bad for you - there's no need to go above 30. 40 should only be used for foils.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dooby)
    O.M.G I WANT your hair!!!! :stomp: Colour AND style - :love: :love: :love: :drool: :drool:

It is perfect. Exactly what I want - I can never get it! Grrrrrrr.......

Love your style :p:

ETA: OK so the Schwarzkof colour you use - is that basically a bleach? Cos I'm scared to use actual bleach on my hair, so I just go for the lightest 'non-bleach' box colour...at the mo I think it's Nice 'n' Easy SB2 (summer blonde 2) which was the lightest I could find. (To be honest I haven't done it for ages but doing it again this morning - worried how it'll turn out as I'm naturally light brown hair colur and my roots are like, 2 inches hehe! Hope the colour doesn't go patchy :-S)

So anyway, using a bleach, is it kind of like - "no going back" haha?! Does it sorta ruin your hair? I know you've said to condition loads....but I mean like if you decided you wanted to go darker again would you be able to or does bleach just totally mess up your hair? :-S thanks for any advice you can give!!! x
    haha aww thx hun! i miss it im currently going back to that colour from a light brown.
    yes it is a bleach and tbh its the only way to get my hair that colour . im already a natural blonde so it isnt too bad lightening it up to white but you should only ever bleach it pale yellow and if you wrap your hair in clingfilm and heat it up with a hairdryer it will half the time and make it lighter(without your hair being killed under all the heat(just DO NOT LET IT DRY!!!! it will make your hair like candyfloss!)

well i have been alternating between white blonde and dark brown for about 3 years and tbh i do need to give it a break every 6-10 months .it only takes one dye to make my hair all brown again.bleach does not affect it much at all.
    and seriously if you get tigi dumb blonde conditioner your hair will be MAGIC!
    and i have naturally curly (i mean afro,it is very african hair!) and dry hair and if i can get my hair straight and silky ANYONE can!

if youve any more q's go right ahead!xx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.