Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I really really want to get into medicine. But my grades aren't top notch so far. In my GCSEs I got only 1A* in english which is kind of irrelevant for med, and the rest was 7 As and a B in french. I'm currently doing 5 ASs in which my current grades are just a flop. Maths, I'm grade E, Biology - D, Psychology - D, Chemistry - C, Critical thinking - A :eek: !Obviously i have no chance with these grades, however I think I will do much better in the real exams because at the start of the year I had a major operation which affected my school work a lot, but i'm better now. Plus, despite my current E grade in Maths, I got A in a practise paper I did while revising, so if i can move from an E to A in a few weeks I should hopefully be able to improve all my grades.

But I don't know if it will be better for me to take 3 A2s or 4. My form tutor strongly advises 3, because of my current grades. But my GCSEs aren't very strong so I thought it would be better to take 4 A2s so i have a better chance of getting in. I want to apply for Leicester, Manchester, St Georges and Barts. And if I do drop a subject, I don't know if it should be Psychology or Maths. Maths is more relevant for med i think, but I'm doing better in Psychology and enjoy it more.

If I take 3 A2s instead of 4, considering my GCSEs, am i likely to get into the unis of my choice? And would it be bad to drop maths instead of psychology? Do i even have a chance of getting into medicine anyway lol?

Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    medicine is becoming increasing competitive, so even if you do get 3/4 As, then there is still no guarantee that you will get a place. However, have you told the exam boards about your major op?
    It also depends on whether you do well on the UKCAT, as some of the universities, like barts, will put some preference on UKCAt and use it as a tool to give out interviews.

Take the subject that you love the most - as this will probably mean that you will get an a in it - however check individual uni requirements as some may want maths.

Realistically speaking, if you do well on your UKCAT and have As at A2 then you are more likely to get more interviews, which could then translate into more offers.

Also, maybe if you don't get the grades, or just as a back-up, apply for a 5th option for a biomed degree and then enter medicine as a grad?

hope this helps!

Maybe it's all too much for you :erm:

I'd say drop critical thinking and continue with the other four, aim for AAA(X)a

If you decide to drop maths/psychology, don't forget to retake the AS - because you'll have to declare your grades on UCAS and E/D won't look good :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Star_struck)
    have you told the exam boards about your major op?
    Thanks your answer was helpful. When you say exam boards, do you mean call up say, AQA and tell them about my op? Can they do anything to help my application? I've never heard about or considered this option, please inform me. Also, did you find it hard to get into Barts and what was your application like? Are you enjoying it? Thanks x
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Only do 3 A2s, your GCSEs are fine for medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jennaz77)
    Thanks your answer was helpful. When you say exam boards, do you mean call up say, AQA and tell them about my op? Can they do anything to help my application? I've never heard about or considered this option, please inform me. Also, did you find it hard to get into Barts and what was your application like? Are you enjoying it? Thanks x
    you should talk to your teachers, and they might be able to notify your exam board i.e. AQA/edexcel etc. - i think you have to fill in an extenuating circumstances form, but this could help - if your AS exams were taken close to the time of the op then definitely consult with your teachers.

Um, well with Barts, they interviewed people they were going to say yes to (mostly), so the interview was more like a 'getting to know you' kind of thing (one of the interviewers told me about his wife and him going off to cycle in the lake district - so u can tell how relaxed it was!)
    my ukcat was 640, and i'd done work exp and volunteering (make sure you do some of these things if you haven't already as they really do count!)

Yeah i love my uni and my course - even though it's pretty intense! =D

ReputationRep:
    I really really want to get into medicine. But my grades aren't top notch so far. In my GCSEs I got only 1A* in english which is kind of irrelevant for med, and the rest was 7 As and a B in french. I'm currently doing 5 ASs in which my current grades are just a flop. Maths, I'm grade E, Biology - D, Psychology - D, Chemistry - C, Critical thinking - A !Obviously i have no chance with these grades, however I think I will do much better in the real exams because at the start of the year I had a major operation which affected my school work a lot, but i'm better now. Plus, despite my current E grade in Maths, I got A in a practise paper I did while revising, so if i can move from an E to A in a few weeks I should hopefully be able to improve all my grades.

But I don't know if it will be better for me to take 3 A2s or 4. My form tutor strongly advises 3, because of my current grades. But my GCSEs aren't very strong so I thought it would be better to take 4 A2s so i have a better chance of getting in. I want to apply for Leicester, Manchester, St Georges and Barts. And if I do drop a subject, I don't know if it should be Psychology or Maths. Maths is more relevant for med i think, but I'm doing better in Psychology and enjoy it more.

If I take 3 A2s instead of 4, considering my GCSEs, am i likely to get into the unis of my choice? And would it be bad to drop maths instead of psychology? Do i even have a chance of getting into medicine anyway lol?

Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    just crack out a 750 avg ukcat then u'd b rolling. honestly....entrance exams are nightmares for some but lifesavers to others (ie. the slackers who didnt try earlier on)

ReputationRep:
    Your GCSEs are good, really. It's a shame the competitiveness of medicine sometimes puts a mask on that. Universities only require 3 A2 levels so you shouldn't really need to do more, I'm not sure how much a fourth one gives you an advantage, but if it does I don't think it's much.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 11, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.