(Original post by Starless Eyes)
    So not true!
    That's not what you were telling me last night :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Playboy King)
    That's not what you were telling me last night :sexface:
    That was then, this is now :p:

ReputationRep:
    aw bless u, i'm exactly the same, because i'm nice, i just get put in the friend category and not the girlfriend one. i think this girl has put you in the friend category as well, as hard as it is, ur gonna have to get over her. don't change urself thou, into the aragont, self rightous ********* that walk around like they own everything, someone will like u for hu u are

ReputationRep:
    It's not strictly true that all straight women love *******s. But it IS true that all straight women love men who act like men.

THIS MEANS

having manly traits, like assertiveness, taking-no-**** from people, confidence (though that's true for both sexes), pro-activeness, protectiveness and humour.

THIS is why blokes who do things like play sports or play in a band typically never have to worry about pulling girls - because to even do such activities shows off important characteristics that it's SO important for a man to have.

HOWEVER it is also helpful for men to be in touch with their emotions to an extent, which is where sweetness comes in. Women want to feel like they've brought that out in you. It's all about balance, and about context. Men oughta be about 75% ballsy and about 25% sensitive and sweet and, well, feminine. Over-feminate men are the sweet, kind, harmless types who never get anywhere because, archetypally speaking, it's just not MANLY to act like that. This is why Peter Parker becomes unspeakably more attractive after he whops the bully's ass in the first Spiderman, and this is why the girl only takes an interest after that point.

Of course, I'm generalising. It's impossible to not generalise, without saying 'don't worry someone will come along who loves you for who you are'. That's probably true - but if you're a no-balls type, it'll be someone who will be so accepting as to never challenge you to better yourself - not because they are themselves such an understanding and virtuous person - but because they are as equally out of touch with their feminimity as you are with your masculinity.

It's just a shame that nature and society teach us different things. The only thing their rules have in common is endorsing self-confidence. Beyond that, we've all been lied to by things such as Disney - implying that attractiveness is based on a person's ethical standards - it's NOT - it's based on how well we adhere to nature's pre-prescribed roles for us. The same thing goes for women.

I would conclude that the ultimately attractive male would have both masculinity and feminimity in the right proportions - one who is both whop-ass and in touch with his emotions. The typical tight-tee-shirt-wearing jock of any chavvy nightclub has only one of those sets of qualities, but it's the masculine set, which is the most important by far for a bloke to have.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, also, loving (annonymous's) post. I'm a girl, but I think he's hammered (ahem) the point home with such a wake-up-call of a post. The message he conveys is an inconvenient truth, but it still the truth.

But no one lieks to admit it, yaaaaaaay!

ReputationRep:
    Personally I prefer "sweet" guys to confident forward guys. But they do have to still take control, if that makes sense? :P

Sweet guys usually make more of an effort, that might mean getting crazy nervous about little things like asking a girl out, kissing her, holding her hand..etc.

But they tend to make more of an effort overall and things are more special....buts thats just my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeeWeeDan)
    You're friend zoned amigo. Only way to break out is to be an utter ******** and pump iron so you can literally use your pecks to crush melons.
    This guy knows the truth op, live by these words and you will be up to your face in vagina

ReputationRep:
    Im the same as you OP, but i do sports constantly and im really sarcastic when it comes to humor, because of this, the girl i like always mentions my bland humor and sports a lot with me, and has an interest in what i do.
    DO NOT LIE about yourself or dont act like yourself, cos she'll know straight away + plus telling the truth and being yourself is EASY.

ReputationRep:
    There is a saying.
    Treat them mean keep them keen. It works.

ReputationRep:
    Girls don't like boys, girls like cars and money.

Hate to break it to you :/

ReputationRep:
    most girls just need to go out with a complete and utter **** before they ACTUALLY go for the sweet guy they've always said they wanted,
    every girl has different tastes, most of us do like the bad boy but you're always gonna be the 'ideal' man, you might just need to find a balance so your not overly sweet if that makes sense? x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prokaryotic_crap)
    how do you break out of the friend zone?
    sorry but once you're in there's no way out looooool

I'm hopeless, I get friend zoned all the time. In fact I've never known of any girl to actually be attracted to me in anyway but get told by girls I'm sweet. :'(

ReputationRep:
    I deffo love sweet guys! They don't get enough credit for it in my opinion. You have to have a back bone too though and don't be too clingy...errkkkk thats when things turn nasty.

ReputationRep:
    Look, fellas, you can be as kind or sweet as you want, but the deal is thus: Don't be a walkover. Stand up for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Hopeless.
    Girls who think they want nice guys are either hypocrites or liars.

ReputationRep:
    I love how most of the people giving the advice are dumb **** guys who think they know everything about women...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QwentyJ)
    but the deal is thus: Don't be a walkover. Stand up for yourself.
    Decent advice.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, this is that beautiful type of thread. The one where all the men who want to give their ego a boost lecture the nice person on how it pays to be an idiot, pays to be violent, domineering and aggressive, just so they can give themselves an excuse to put other people down. And of course, the people who can't tell the difference between sexual attraction and love, and the domineering girls who put the little guys down, and the sweet girls too afraid to speak up.

I've said it before.

I'll say it again a million times if I have to.

People like different things. You have to accept that not everyone is the same. It may be easier to say that they are, but they're not. You also have to accept that not everyone in this life is going to like you, no matter what you do.
    Most people will be indifferent to you. Some people will hate you the instant they meet you, for no apparent reason. Some people will like you the instant they meet you, for no apparent reason.
    This is life.

Thinking that there is one foolproof thing you can do to get everyone to be kissing your feet is not feasible. In fact, it's plain arrogant.

Now, you can either try and change yourself to suit what another person likes. Or you can wait for someone who likes you the way you are.

You're call.

ReputationRep:
    when are people ever going to get it? NO ONE is the same mate!
    some girls like sweet guys some girls don't .. that's just the way it is .. there is no straight answer to that question.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 16, 2010
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.