Turn on thread page Beta

Girls, would you be put off a guy if... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It wouldnt put me off. I'd offer them help and talk to them. But if they had serious problems and was depressed, id be abit put off.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus... self-harm is not a sign of weakness. If anything it is a sign of how "well" your parents raised you. Kids who are not taught healthy ways to cope with their problems (such as talking about it) will most likely develop unhealthy ways to cope (such as self-harm). It's not a coincidence that self-harm begins, mainly, in early adolescence/young adulthood (it very rarely begins in middle-adulthood for instance). It takes time to learn those healthy or unhealthy coping mechanisms, it doesn't happen overnight. Therefore most of us have no recollection of when we finally "mastered" these mechanisms because it took no concious effort of our own. Therefore no amount of "will" or "power" was needed. If you were abused as a child, it is more likely to you'll develop unhealthy coping mechanisms. Did you have any say in it? I seriously doubt that anyone on this thread knew wtf he/she was doing when he/she was 4-5-6-7 (you don't need to self-harm at that age - you only need to develop the "mindset"). It's an unconscious process.

Some people were just not lucky with their parents.

ReputationRep:
    No, I'd only be put off if he still did it.

ReputationRep:
    Chicks dig scars.

Thanks for all the replies guys, really appreciate it. Ive stopped completely for about a year now. Ive tried to hide it etc and use bio-oil and coco butter but the lines still show. Its good to hear that most girls wouldnt be put off as long as ive stopped doing it

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be put off at all, if they were old scars. But i don't think i could go out with a guy who self harmed. :o: Too much blood.

ReputationRep:
    nope, wouldn't be bothered at all

ReputationRep:
    self hamrs a weakness?? Right, and how many of you have self harmed? How many of you have found yourselves in a situation where the only way you feel as if you can escape is by doing something like that? I'm not saying that I'm for self harming, I've done it and I ain't proud of it, I regret it, but sometimes its the only way people can cope, and I know that when peoiple start gettin all up themselves about it when they don't really know what they're talkin about really peeves me off...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    He quite visible self-harm scars on one of his arms? How put off would you be, or if at all? I used to do it but have stopped completely only because of the scars they give and that no creams get rid of them completely.
    no the scars themself wouldnt put me off just the fact that the only reason you stopped was because of the fact that self-harm scarred!! that just goes to show that you havent addressed the issues you had to begin with to cause you to self-harm. i'd tell your butt to go see a therapist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    He quite visible self-harm scars on one of his arms? How put off would you be, or if at all? I used to do it but have stopped completely only because of the scars they give and that no creams get rid of them completely.
    it means youre a frogging mentalist. NuTtEr_4EvA

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt be put off at all. I'd just kiss them better.

anon for obvious reasons..

ffs, some people on this thread are so shallow. Since when was a persons 'strength' measured by whether they have a scar?! My best friend used to cut herself.. wanna know why? she was sexually abused. Not everyone lives in a bubble, you people need to think before you judge others, you don't know what they've been through& everyone has different coping mechanisms.

ReputationRep:
    nope

ReputationRep:
    AT the end of the day, you are who you are. So if he/she doesnt like it, then they are obviously not understanding and not worth your time!

ReputationRep:
    yeah I think it's the issue with whether they're recent...
    if they were fully healed and not idk scabbing or whatever I'd be ok with it and I'm sure many other would too :/

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 11, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.