Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've recently been seen by a psychiatrist and diagnosed with 'Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder', put on anti-depressants and sleeping pills. I was sexually abused in my past by a family member and recently told the police who're currently in the process of taking it to Crown Prosecution Service. I've been in hospital twice for trying to take my own life.

Now I really want to move on. I go to university in September which is all fine. What I am now worried about is whether all this will effect my future prospects. The only two careers I've ever thought I'd want to do is either teaching or working in the police force, or navy. All of those require CRB checks and I'm assuming that they'll be given access to my medical records too, won't they? If they do that, I'm ****** aren't I? I'll never get the jobs I want. Also, I've heard that if a member of your family has a criminal record then you automatically get rejected from those 3 jobs? It seems so unfair; I almost wish I'd never gone to the police or asked for help.

Please help. Just need some advice. Will I still be able to become a teacher and/or work in the police force?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've recently been seen by a psychiatrist and diagnosed with 'Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder', put on anti-depressants and sleeping pills. I was sexually abused in my past by a family member and recently told the police who're currently in the process of taking it to Crown Prosecution Service. I've been in hospital twice for trying to take my own life.

Now I really want to move on. I go to university in September which is all fine. What I am now worried about is whether all this will effect my future prospects. The only two careers I've ever thought I'd want to do is either teaching or working in the police force, or navy. All of those require CRB checks and I'm assuming that they'll be given access to my medical records too, won't they? If they do that, I'm ****** aren't I? I'll never get the jobs I want. Also, I've heard that if a member of your family has a criminal record then you automatically get rejected from those 3 jobs? It seems so unfair; I almost wish I'd never gone to the police or asked for help.

Please help. Just need some advice. Will I still be able to become a teacher and/or work in the police force?
    Hey,

I'm no expert, but this link suggests that medical information will not be given; it focuses on convictions it seems: http://www.crb.homeoffice.gov.uk/usi....aspx#whatinfo

As for your last point: it seems implausible that you would be rejected from any job because of the actions (criminal record) of a family member, but I haven't looked into any of those careers. I would still regard it as highly unlikely that you would be rejected on that basis.

Sorry to hear about your problems - and I don't think going to the police was a bad thing. I hope things get better with time.

Thanks a lot for your reply

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't necessarily rule you out, take a look at this:
    http://www.policecouldyou.co.uk/offi...al_59-2004.pdf (near the bottom)

I've never heard of them disqualifying you if a family member has a conviction, that would seem awfully unfair and possibly illegal.

Thanks. How about the fact that I've been involved with the police? Never been arrested, but I'm obviously involved. Have been taken to hospital by police before.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. How about the fact that I've been involved with the police? Never been arrested, but I'm obviously involved. Have been taken to hospital by police before.
    You mean involved as in being helped by the police? That could happen to any law-abiding citizen. I think they take into account actual charges on you if I remember what someone told me correctly.

ReputationRep:
    That doesn't make you a criminal! :cool: I think you're worrying too much about this, however understandable that may be.

First of all, I'm terribly sorry about your situation.

Secondly, I doubt they will reject you purely on those grounds. If they do, automatically, reject you based on the fact that one of your family members now has a criminal record I think it would be in your best interest to elaborate on a bit of your history with them. As painful as this will be, at least you will be able to follow your dreams and, believe me, it does get better. I, too, was in your situation (abuse part).

I sincerely wish you all the best

It sounds like your involvement with the police is as a victim not a perpetrator of a crime.

I recently had to fill in lots of forms for the GSCC (social work bods) and was advised to put everything down.

I really would have thought your contact with the police is irrelevant. If your mental health is ok over the next few years I do not see why it would impact on your future career as a teacher. I cannot advise on the navy I'm afraid.

They dont usually 'have access' to your medical records, you are more than likely asked to complete a form stating any health issues. If then there is something flagged up they would then contact your GP (with your permission) and ask his/her opinion. Your records will not be read by a random, they do not need to know if you had your tonsils out as a kid, or had herpes etc etc.

Good luck
    x

Thank you for all the replies. I just really really don't want my future to be ruined by my past, if that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    A career in the armed forces is a big no no, I tried and they found out about self harming and automatically rejected me, if you've tried to top yourself then they'll just say no, even if that stuffs in your past, they can't risk having someobody whose done that kinda stuff with a gun can they?
    Hope you do get a job you really want though

Oh even if it's in the past? Say if I applied in 3 years and hadn't self harmed since?

sorry, you've already said 'even if it's in the past'. didn't read properly. there should be a mental health record expungement time like there is for criminal records.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Oh even if it's in the past? Say if I applied in 3 years and hadn't self harmed since?
    unfortunately yeah, unless we suddenly go to war with china and everyone's called up, they just aren't prepared to take that risk

ReputationRep:

Mental health shouldn't affect your career prospects - if they did, I wouldn't be in the civil service.

CRB = Criminal Records Bureau. Also, the Disability Discrimination Act also applies - and that covers mental health issues.

All are likely to want to have access to your medical records, but this is for the purposes of ensuring that they can make reasonable adjustments for any condition you may be suffering from unless there is something specific that prevents you from doing your job. e.g. being unable to walk having applied for a post that is very physical and outdoors in its nature. In anycase, the police and the navy have their share of desk jobs.

On teaching, there is an untapped market of post-16 teaching at all levels which people often forget.

As for being excluded automatically because of criminal records of family members, I have no idea where that myth came from and as far as I am aware, a myth it is.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear about what's happened.

With the army I was told that suicide attempts and self harming have their cooling off periods because they understand that stuff happens in the younger years.

I was told something about a three year cooling period where you don't self harm or attempt and a satisfactory letter from your doctor too will make them reconsider.

Source: Talking to an army careers advisor. Dunno if its the same case with the navy.

Best of luck with everything though.

ReputationRep:
    I very much doubt that, even an enhanced CRB check brings up medical records.

Your CRB will only show up charges brought against you and any convictions you have, nothing to do with your family

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 9, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.