Turn on thread page Beta

Missing University watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm a 2nd year history student, and at the end of this term I am going to miss 4 seminars for a family wedding. My sister, is getting married in Thailand and obviously I'm not willing to miss my only sibling getting married for 8 hours of compulsory attendance in 2 weeks. I'm going to be missing 2 seminars, for 2 different modules, so 2 weeks in a row essentially. I was just wondering, what you guys think I should do? I could either be 'ill' or tell them the truth? Telling them the truth could result in a 4% penalty on both modules, so 8% in total...

Any ideas?
    Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Hi 5, Im at kent too!
    Just email your seminar leader and tell them you're not coming cause you're away!!

Just saw you get penalties........
    Maybe you could arrange to do the seminar work on your own and hand it in so you don't miss the marks..

ReputationRep:
    Can a wedding not go down as religious observance? Ask your Course Rep.

i would go for the illness route. just say you've got the flu, bad.

if you start enquiring about if its ok to get days off for the real reason, then you're not going to be able to go back and lie about your absence later.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think being 'ill' for two weeks is a good idea. They'll probably ask for a doctor's note. Just tell them the truth, you know you're not missing your sister's wedding so either they let you off with it or you have to take the penalty. If you ask about it maybe they'll give another solution, like someone said by letting you hand the work in separately. But it's best not to lie.

ReputationRep:
    I hate compulsory tutorials.

ReputationRep:
    at my uni it doesn't matter if you don't go in for weeks

ReputationRep:
    If you say you're ill you'll have to give them a doctors note.
    I would find out if weddings count out as acceptable absence before deciding what to do.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.