Turn on thread page Beta

Atlas Shrugged - worth reading? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm contemplating buying Atlas Shrugged, but I wonder whether or not it's worth reading. It's a long book (1300 pages says Wikipedia) and I worry it might take up too much time on my already busy schedule!

Also, I've heard mixed praise and criticisms of the book - some say it's wonderful and the philosophy is brilliant; others say that Rand cannot write to save herself and that the book doesn't flow very well.

Thoughts?

(Original post by JakePearson)
    I'm contemplating buying Atlas Shrugged, but I wonder whether or not it's worth reading. It's a long book (1300 pages says Wikipedia) and I worry it might take up too much time on my already busy schedule!

Also, I've heard mixed praise and criticisms of the book - some say it's wonderful and the philosophy is brilliant; others say that Rand cannot write to save herself and that the book doesn't flow very well.

Thoughts?
    No. It'd be more worthwhile reading something else instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kolya)
    No. It'd be more worthwhile reading something else instead.
    Is it just this one that's not worth the time, or are Anthem and The Fountainhead just as bad?

ReputationRep:
    My impression of Ayn Rand is that her novels are full of over-the-top philosophy with very little worth, woven into a kitchen-sink. soap-operaesque plot. I wouldn't waste your time on so long a book to find out if it's true.

(Original post by JakePearson)
    Is it just this one that's not worth the time, or are Anthem and The Fountainhead just as bad?
    I haven't read Anthem so can't comment on that. The Fountainhead is shorter than AS and doesn't have the same amount of boring philosophy shoved into it. So if you want to read any one, read TF as its the shortest and is similar to AS in plot/characters. They are certainly page-turners and readable - else they wouldn't be so popular - but whether you will get anything from them in the long-term is questionable.

ReputationRep:
    I've got Atlas Shrugged, and The Fountainhead waiting to be read. I've been told, if you can't be bothered to read thousand or so pages of Atlas Shrugged, then check out the book called Anthem. It's a hundred or so pages I believe.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.