The Student Room Group

Nottingham v B'ham v QMUL

This poll is closed

Best law school from these three...

Queen Mary, London24%
Birmingham20%
Nottingham56%
Total votes: 25
Having got offers from all three ( :woo: ) for Senior Status LLB it's decision time! I'm heavily leaning towards Nottingham, but I can see the merits of Birmingham and Queen Mary.

So... which of three is the best for law? I'm guessing the result of the poll will be Nottingham, but would like to see what the collective wisdom (!!) of this board is! :smile:
Reply 1
Nottingham > Birmingham > QM, in terms of the reputation of the course.

They're all great for Law, and I'd be happy to go to any of them.
I`d say Nottingham>Birmingham=Queen Mary
Reply 3
I'm going to be contrversial and say Birmingham = Nottingham > QMUL
I just think that the overall rating of Birmingham is slightly higher than Nottingham's and in terms of facilities, personally, I found Birmingham to be slightly more appealing. From those that I spoke to, Birmingham's lecturers were so much more friendly and approachable, and the Law department just seemed to be a greater asset of the university - at Nottingham I just got the impression it was being bundled within other subjects. I also preferred the Law library at Birmingham to Nottingham's floor of law in the main library. Whilst generally the Nottingham campus may have had the edge, Birmingham is still gorgeous - the Law department itself was amazing - the accomodation at Birmingham that I saw was better than the accomodation I saw at Nottingham. Finally, I spoke to some people in a MC firm, and they said in terms of commerical law, due to the lecturers, Birmingham would rank as high as, if not higher than Nottingham. Nottingham is ranked higher in the league tables for law though. However, I have always been reluctant to rely too heavily on these.
Essentially, they're all great universities, and the difference between them is negligable, especially between Nottingham and Birmingham. I'm guessing my view is more a matter of personal taste, and I appreciate that others will think the complete opposite. I'd say that going to look around will give you the best indication of which is the right place for you.
All good Universities, but Nottingham is probably best for Law.
Reply 5
I would have thought Birmingham was as good as Notts but either are better than QMUL (:
Reply 6
I would also agree, without bias I would say Birmingham and Nottingham are there or thereabouts when it comes to top law schools in the UK, Nottingham has the prestige factor more so than Birmingham.

But my advice would be to decide carefully, which one is more convenient for you? Which city do you prefer? Could you live there during the duration and enjoy it?

At the end, both are reputed, both would give you the stepping stone to a great career, it depends on your personal choice, but let me warn you, just because Nottingham ranks better than Birmingham doesn't necessarily mean it is better, both are pretty much on a par.

Latest

Trending

Trending