Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I am wondering whether any grad. applicants have heard back, and if so, how much time it takes between the application being sent to the department and a decision being made? Particularly PhD applicants, but I'd love to hear from MA applicants too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowyday)
    Hi!
    I am wondering whether any grad. applicants have heard back, and if so, how much time it takes between the application being sent to the department and a decision being made? Particularly PhD applicants, but I'd love to hear from MA applicants too.
    hey pm me if you have any questions abt soas, I applied to the same pgm

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I submitted my application on December 15th, it got sent to the department on January 14th, and I received an offer for MSc. Globalisation and Development on January 12th.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dubaid)
    Hey, I submitted my application on December 15th, it got sent to the department on January 14th, and I received an offer for MSc. Globalisation and Development on January 12th.
    I applied to the same program. My application was sent to the department on January 27th, and as of February 12th I'm stuck on "BLSS From Faculty of Law and Social Sciences" ... what did your tracker look like before you were accepted? Also, did you seriously get an offer before the department received your application?

ReputationRep:
    I applied to the same program. My application was sent to the department on January 27th, and as of February 12th I'm stuck on "BLSS From Faculty of Law and Social Sciences" ... what did your tracker look like before you were accepted? Also, did you seriously get an offer before the department received your application?
    Sorry, I meant to say that I got my offer on February 12th. After seeing "BLSS from Faculty of Law and Social Sciences" you should see "LETTER Letter event" and "INITDECN First initial decision made." A few days after that they will email you the decision

ReputationRep:
    I applied to the MA Near and Middle East Studies, and I've just logged in to my tracker today and found it to be seriously confusing. Previously, when I went to the "Applications" tab, all I saw was my first and second choice program, with the "progress" link next to it. Today, this is what I see:

Postgraduate 01 12/14/2009 STATE AND TRANSFORMATION IN THE MIDDLE EAST TUTORIAL 2010 09 1 Progress
    Postgraduate 01 12/14/2009 STATE AND TRANSFORMATION IN THE MIDDLE EAST LECTURE 2010 09 1 Progress
    Postgraduate 01 12/14/2009 STATE AND TRANSFORMATION IN THE MIDDLE EAST 2010 09 1 Progress
    Postgraduate 01 12/14/2009 POLITICAL SOCIETY IN THE MIDDLE EAST TUTORIAL 2010 09 1 Progress
    Postgraduate 01 12/14/2009 POLITICAL SOCIETY IN THE MIDDLE EAST LECTURE 2010 09 1 Progress
    Postgraduate 01 12/14/2009 POLITICAL SOCIETY IN THE MIDDLE EAST 2010 09 1 Progress
    Postgraduate 02 1/22/2010 MIDDLE EAST POLITICS Year 1 2010 09 1 Progress
    Postgraduate 02 1/22/2010 MIDDLE EAST POLITICS 2010 09 1 Progress
    Postgraduate 02 1/22/2010 Cohort AYEAR 2010/2011 2010 09 1 Progress
    Postgraduate 02 1/22/2010 MSC MIDDLE EAST POLITICS F1 2010 09 1 Progress
    Postgraduate 01 12/14/2009 NEAR AND MIDDLE EASTERN STUDIES Year 1 2010 09 1 Progress
    Postgraduate 01 12/14/2009 NEAR AND MIDDLE EASTERN STUDIES 2010 09 1 Progress
    Postgraduate 01 12/14/2009 Cohort AYEAR 2010/2011 2010 09 1 Progress
    Postgraduate 01 12/14/2009 MA NEAR AND MIDDLE EASTERN STUDIES F1 2010 09 1 Progress 1
    I'm sure this is as confusing to you as it is to me, but I tried giving the admissions office a call today and received no answer. Can anyone make any sense out of this? Or does anyone have anything similar? The courses and lectures listed above, if I'm not mistaken, are offered in my second choice program, MSc in Middle East Politics.

The progress for my first choice program, and those "tutorials" and "lecture" things show the "Initial Decision" comment, which I suppose means they'll send me my offer/rejection soon. Here is the timeline:

MA NEAR AND MIDDLE EASTERN STUDIES F1 -/- ENTRY Application entered onto system 12/14/2009
    MA NEAR AND MIDDLE EASTERN STUDIES F1 -/- ALCU To Faculty of Languages and Cultures 1/19/2010
    MA NEAR AND MIDDLE EASTERN STUDIES F1 -/- LETTER Letter event 1/19/2010
    MA NEAR AND MIDDLE EASTERN STUDIES F1 -/- BLCU From Faculty of Languages and Cultures 2/4/2010
    MA NEAR AND MIDDLE EASTERN STUDIES F1 -/- LETTER Letter event 2/15/2010
    MA NEAR AND MIDDLE EASTERN STUDIES F1 -/- INITDECN First initial decision made 2/15/2010

ReputationRep:
    Hi,I also applied to the same program on December 19th and just got the infromation that the first decision has been made although i don't know what it is.Have you heard back ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cs19911_dp)
    ENTRY Application entered onto system
    ACISD TO CISD
    leTTER Letter event
    BLCU From CISD
    ADRA referred to associate dean

Can you please let me know in what scenario referred to associate dean usually occurs. What were the typical outcomes
    It's unusual but don't worry about it. Worrying doesn't help. You'll get your answer soon enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cs19911_dp)
    thanks for your concerned dramatic reply. Can anyone gives me facts rather then opinion or advise
    You should watch your manners and show a bit of gratitude that anyone bothered replying to you. Especially as over PMs you said "I know it means rejection".

ReputationRep:
    I applied in March and got a response by mid to late April. Just a few checks in between from the graduate office and viola - in by May.

Applied late for accomodation though hah so might not have a place to stay when I get there :-P

ReputationRep:
    EDIT: result finally in.. I'M IN! Phew...

ReputationRep:
    @Acolyte -- Ugh sounds like absolute horrid luck! I hope it works out for you and yes they are notorious for 'never' knowing whats happening to student applications. Its like the Twilight Zone.

ReputationRep:
    The admin does take a long time but from my experiance just sit tight and wait, they will get back to you eventually, SOAS are smashed every year with lots of applications and now is a bad time to call because the exam results are not out and people have gone on their summer holidays for July...

ReputationRep:
    EDIT: Currently changed to INITDECN ...

ReputationRep:
    I'm waiting on hearing about an MPhil/PhD that is with the Anth./Soc. Dept. To be honest I haven't applied anywhere else as nowhere really has the supervision that SOAS offers for my proposed research, which is a situation that engenders nervousness; the wait is excruciating!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nehustan)
    I'm waiting on hearing about an MPhil/PhD that is with the Anth./Soc. Dept. To be honest I haven't applied anywhere else as nowhere really has the supervision that SOAS offers for my proposed research, which is a situation that engenders nervousness; the wait is excruciating!!!
    I know the feeling. :yep: Just hang in there is all I can say..

I wouldn't think about applying anywhere else either. SOAS has the expertise and resources I need. As a matter of interest, when did you apply for your research degree? When would you say is the best time to put in an application for a PhD? And do you have funding from a scholarship? Sorry about all the questions, just thinking ahead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acolyte)
    I know the feeling. :yep: Just hang in there is all I can say..

I wouldn't think about applying anywhere else either. SOAS has the expertise and resources I need. As a matter of interest, when did you apply for your research degree? When would you say is the best time to put in an application for a PhD? And do you have funding from a scholarship? Sorry about all the questions, just thinking ahead.
    I went in and had a meeting with the PhD convener, whose first degree was architecture; one of the reasons I decided to apply was his knowledge of Muslim regions as well as his knowledge of architecture/material culture, i.e. ideal supervision. I then went to a postgraduate evening and spoke with a potential secondary supervisor (MA Medical Anthropology Convener) and outlined what I wanted to do; she nodded often and gave the impression it was something SOAS would be interested in. I then wrote my proposal, but was held up by references from UCL; I think one of the referees was on study leave. I just made the deadline with the application completed 14/06/10, closing 30/06/10; the website says turnaround in approximately 5 weeks which has now passed.

I'm hopefully doing the degree part time and self funding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nehustan)
    I went in and had a meeting with the PhD convener, whose first degree was architecture; one of the reasons I decided to apply was his knowledge of Muslim regions as well as his knowledge of architecture/material culture, i.e. ideal supervision. I then went to a postgraduate evening and spoke with a potential secondary supervisor (MA Medical Anthropology Convener) and outlined what I wanted to do; she nodded often and gave the impression it was something SOAS would be interested in. I then wrote my proposal, but was held up by references from UCL; I think one of the referees was on study leave. I just made the deadline with the application completed 14/06/10, closing 30/06/10; the website says turnaround in approximately 5 weeks which has now passed.

I'm hopefully doing the degree part time and self funding.
    Thanks for the info. I think part-time is a good plan these days because the market for jobs and PhD applications changed dramatically in the past couple of years. My impression a few years ago was that people were finding PhD places much more easily than now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SOAS)
    MPH ANTHROPOLOGY RESEARCH-Part-time BAN From Anthropology & Sociology Dept Research Tutor 7/26/2010
    MPH ANTHROPOLOGY RESEARCH-Part-time INITDECN First initial decision made 7/26/2010
    MPH ANTHROPOLOGY RESEARCH-Part-time AADRA Referred to Associate Dean 7/26/2010
    Oh dear

ReputationRep:
    @Nehustan
    The part which says referred to Associate Dean doesnt mean anything really. Alot of the others that have applied for both Masters and PhD programmes have that outlined in their applications online. And most of them got approved so don't worry! :-)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles:

SOAS Guide

Featured accommodation profiles:

Scape Student Living

Scape Student Living

"Brand new super studios at Scape Shoreditch, three minutes away from Old Street station!"

Quick links:

Unanswered SOAS ThreadsFind out what student life in London is really like in students' own wordsStalking pages becomes University Connect, connect to other SOAS applicants now!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.