Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    @Cpt_Chaos
    Thanks for the encouragement!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cpt_Chaos)
    @Nehustan
    The part which says referred to Associate Dean doesnt mean anything really. Alot of the others that have applied for both Masters and PhD programmes have that outlined in their applications online. And most of them got approved so don't worry! :-)
    At last we got that cleared up!
    I didn't get either AADRA or AADAA by the way, so I'm still not 100% sure what these entries on the tracker signify, if anything at all. Could be that AADRA is borderline i.e. someone from the department doesn't like the application, but depending on the time of year and number of places, the Associate Dean (?) has another look at it and may decide to overrule the department. Pure speculation though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acolyte)
    Could be that AADRA is borderline i.e. someone from the department doesn't like the application, but depending on the time of year and number of places, the Associate Dean (?) has another look at it and may decide to overrule the department. Pure speculation though...
    Oh great, I'm borderline too now!!

ReputationRep:
    @Acolyte - *laugh. Now you've gotten the poor bloke more insecure than ever.

Just checked my application (already unconditional a while back) but nope, nothing of the sort in terms of Associate Dean involvement but I'm only an MA. Still crossing my fingers its pure speculation because its supposedly normal for these things to happen. Will be rooting for you.

ReputationRep:
    LOL no what I meant was it's only guesswork, but this is the exact same way as computer systems are hacked. You don't know what something means so you try out different things and collect information, until you know what a particular response (e.g. in this case AADRA) signifies from that system (in this case SOAS admissions). SOAS admissions won't tell us so we have to try and find out from people's experiences.
    If my hypothesis is accurate, that would mean the guy has a good chance of getting in, since it's late in the year and SOAS can always manage more postgrad students, and the Associate Dean, whoever he is and whatever he does, will have instructions to maximise revenue (a variable depending on net income from course fees) from the resources (which are, by now, a constant for 2010/2011).

ReputationRep:
    I have to say having a place to actually talk about the process makes it a bit easier, especially with a touch of humour. I guess that is exactly what TSR is for.

ReputationRep:
    TSR? Drives me batty really but am a glutton for punishment :-P
    @Acolyte -- Given Im a kind Asian student I shall TRY not run screaming down the halls at SOAS hoping to avoid you and your ehem hypothesis. o_O

ReputationRep:
    @Cpt_Chaos

What's your discipline by the way?

ReputationRep:
    MA International Studies & Diplomacy :-)

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh...so you're going to be Kuala Lumpur's woman in London

ReputationRep:
    *laugh - I'd much prefer struggling dirt poor student, formerly corporate stooge.

ReputationRep:
    Hello!
    About the AADAA status:

It's not necessarily a negative indicator. I applied for an MA program, and I got the AADAA (description: "with AD- for further academic approval) on my online tracker a few weeks back, and I was really worried. But then the next step on the tracker arrived, and it was a BADAA (description: "from AD- academic approval received). And then, a day after the BADAA, I received an unconditional offer.

It's the waiting that's the worse part. But the AADAA, is not necessarily an indication of a rejection.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that Aldie, it makes me think I know what it's about, especially as it isn't the Academic Approval code. I spoke to a good friend who was the president of the SU at SOAS, and he basically said that if they want to reject you they do it straight away, so hopefully my situation will be as yours.

ReputationRep:
    Well some bad news some good news. I was rejected from the MPhil/PhD application, but they have suggested I take the MARes, which will allow me time to concentrate on language skills and really do considerable work on my research methods and proposal. The MARes is also 'taught' by the person I'd identified as a primary supervisor, so it could work really well. Now I have a job interview tomorrow and should I secure that it'll be a trip to the bank to speak about loans over the next 5-6 years!!! There's always the option that SOAS suggested about going for the 1+3 ESRC next year, but I'm no spring chicken!!!

ReputationRep:
    Well well looks like youve struck gold then! Everything seems to be falling into place and hopefully bank will as well :-P In terms of being a spring chicken, I wouldnt worry about it really. OBVIOUSLY alot of faculty and research students have given up on beauty pagent participation

ReputationRep:
    Hi all...I know this is the wrong year, as I am applying for 2011/2012, but I applied to SOAS for an MSc in Asian Politics, and I have not heard from them.

My application status says
    13/1 - Application entered into system
    9/2 - ALSS - Sent to Faculty of Law and Social Sciences
    21/2 - BLSS - Back from Faculty of Law and Social Sciences

and that's all...no letter event after the BLSS, should i be worried? :s

EDIT: literally just checked and it said 9/3 - First initial decision made eeekk

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Articles:

SOAS Guide

Featured accommodation profiles:

Scape Student Living

Scape Student Living

"Brand new super studios at Scape Shoreditch, three minutes away from Old Street station!"

Quick links:

Unanswered SOAS ThreadsFind out what student life in London is really like in students' own wordsStalking pages becomes University Connect, connect to other SOAS applicants now!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.