Turn on thread page Beta

The TSR rules for a first date thread watch

(Original post by Beekeeper)
    Uhm, there should be no dead silences whatsoever.

Be relaxed, and don't just talk about yourself, the recipient will find it very boring, and could get the totally wrong impression of you.

If you're feeling brave then pull out a single rose as soon as you meet, it will go down well.
    See people get too nervous when there is silence (myself included)
    never worry too much a bout a silent patch simply because sometimes silence really is golden. Much better that you have the odd silence than desperately talk poo to avoid them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_roadkill)
    !!

3. If you go back for coffee and start making out...do it with simplicity. Seven second kiss, lips only no tongues. Lets not get carried away [unless you're like me and you tend to go just that leel bit too far!].
    A certain story about your first kiss comes to mind :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    Always put out
    :rofl: if it isn't Kingslaw, it's been a while :rolleyes: .....

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone ever been on a date where it's gotten so awkward that you start babbling, etc. but then you laugh at yourself and bring up the fact that there's been so many silences. Did he or she laughed about it? Did you start talking properly after that?

To the person who said to ask why they like stamp collecting - I like that. It's good to show you're interested, even if it's nothing you personally like to do. You'd be taking the time to show an actual interest in their personality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lostinfantasies)
    To the person who said to ask why they like stamp collecting - I like that. It's good to show you're interested, even if it's nothing you personally like to do. You'd be taking the time to show an actual interest in their personality.
    Although it's better to ask questions about things they mention that they find interesting. Like if you think stamp collecting is boring don't ask too many questions as you'll just find yourself falling asleep and it's a bit stupid really pretending to be interested in something you aren't - they'll notice you aren't listening properly when you start yawning too (well, there are other signs too, but I think they'd realise you weren't really all that riveted with stamps and might be offended). People like to have listeners, but normally they prefer interested listeners.
    I mean, if you're really interested in hearing about stamps... that's fine...
    Eh, I just mean that if they say their hobbies include stamp collecting and white water rafting - choose the more interesting of the two to talk about so that you can be an interested listener instead of a bored one

(Original post by Adarah)
    Although it's better to ask questions about things they mention that they find interesting. Like if you think stamp collecting is boring don't ask too many questions as you'll just find yourself falling asleep and it's a bit stupid really pretending to be interested in something you aren't - they'll notice you aren't listening properly when you start yawning too (well, there are other signs too, but I think they'd realise you weren't really all that riveted with stamps and might be offended). People like to have listeners, but normally they prefer interested listeners.
    I mean, if you're really interested in hearing about stamps... that's fine...
    Eh, I just mean that if they say their hobbies include stamp collecting and white water rafting - choose the more interesting of the two to talk about so that you can be an interested listener instead of a bored one
    That is good advice. If you don't find what they are interested in, interesting then it wouldn't be a good idea to stay on that topic too long. But if it were someone who you thought you would want to go on many more dates with then I would think it would be a good idea to show a bit of interest and then move swiftly on.

Making lots of eye contact is good too.

ReputationRep:
    Also heres a hint but may be obvious but if you're lost for conversation, stay clear of contentious issues because for some people before you know it, it'll turn into a full blooded argument.

(Original post by Seabiscuit)
    Also heres a hint but may be obvious but if you're lost for conversation, stay clear of contentious issues because for some people before you know it, it'll turn into a full blooded argument.
    Or sometimes you just get a really fun and interesting heated debate which tells you a lot about the person..

Again this just proves that a definitive guide to first dates is just impossible to create:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i heard recently that you should think about:
    *3 things you want to ask the other person
    *3 things you want to say about yourself
    *3 things you've done recently
    apparently that way you give enough information + show interest without being too in your face.

i think a nice informal date is good, i love meeting people for lunches and stuff like that, and i do think the cinema is good, as long as you meet up like an hour before to have drinks. if that was dreaful you can head home straight after the film, if it was good you can go out after.

the last first date i had, i got really tipsy and it turned into a pub crawl, don't think i've ever laughed so much in my life (actually got the embarrasing uncontrollable giggle stage) and it was ciool cos we met up with some friends in club once we'd been chucked out the pubs.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    oo...ok...my worst first date ever comprises loads of stuff for a guy not to do...pay attention

-do make arrangements for somewhere other than your date's place to stay the night...
    -do not get a hard-on half way through the date
    -do not keep suggesting to your date that you go back to her place
    -do not tell your date she's quite expensive (especially when she say's "i dont want a drink" and you buy her one anyway!)

seriously...do guys ever think!?

ReputationRep:
    apparently dead-baby jokes are a no-no.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicbloke)
    apparently dead-baby jokes are a no-no.

MB
    O

God rest his sole

ReputationRep:
    1. Talk, find out what your partner likes and dislikes.
    2. Act, let your partner know that you like them, but don't seem to eager to get busy in the bedroom.
    3. Have fun, do something that you both enjoy, it will make your partner want to see you again.
    4. Don't make your partner do anything they don't want to do.

ReputationRep:
    on a first date...its important that u talk. I guess doing sumthing fun...like bowling...sumthing like that. Followed by a walk around a pictureseque neighbourhood and probably grabbing a cup of coffee...or some chinese...or pizza. Nuthing fancy...primarily becoz...on a first date...both of 'em have got to be themselves...so thats why such a low key date!

ReputationRep:
    cinema dates; dos and don'ts

How far should you go on a first date

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amlea)
    cinema dates; dos and don'ts

How far should you go on a first date

thats wud be weird! u wud have just met ...and in you go. You dont get to talk that much....probably after having spent some time...then i guess its fine.

ReputationRep:
    I cant even remember my first date with my boyf (been together nearly 3 years) I guess because we were at school together every lunchtime was a date!! I think the first time we went "out" as such was when i was a boarder and his mum and him came and picked me up from school and we went to the cinema and then for a drink afterwards. Probably post again later when i find out what he reckons was our first "date" to be continued . . . lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ant93)
    4. Don't make your partner do anything they don't want to do.
    I thought that was the objective of the whole process

You know, I've never been on a proper first date... I have a large but pretty insular group of friends and all my past g/fs have been sourced from inside it, so I knew them all for months before. After reading this, I'm all psyched though... *goes out hunting down females*

ReputationRep:
    this thread could have the title what do to on an interview and it wud be exactly the same lol

ReputationRep:
    Fall over the second you see them and cry an hour later. Worked for me.

Poll
Do you have a role model?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.