Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I took my car to a garage today as the drivers side wing mirror needs replaced and I was told it would be £91. I took it to a garage the other week in a different city, and was told the actual wing mirror would cost £35, this new garage claims the wing mirror will cost £48.

The wing mirror isn't electric or heated, it's just a basic one. Does anyone have any idea why there is such a price difference? Will the rest of the cost just be for the service? Does that seem reasonable?

ReputationRep:
    If it's not electric or heated or anything, why not just buy one (try ebay or similar) and fit it yourself?

ReputationRep:
    That sounds like a rip off to me - garages usually charge too much. Unless your car is a porsche then I don't see why a wing mirror would cost so much. A simple manual wing mirror should cost around 30 pounds max. If I were you, I would use breakeryard.com or any other good spare parts website. Enter your car details and receive quotes from them. Then if you see the right mirror, phone them and they would send it to your home address. Once you have the part ask a neighbour/friend/parent to fit it. Wing mirrors are simple to fit - only need a spanner and possibly a screw driver! No way should service be so expensive.

I'm not a mechanic but I went through the whole process not long ago :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    haha there is a price difference because they are ripping you off!

ReputationRep:
    What car is it? Is the mirror colour coded? On my Starlet I picked up a new mirror for £15 from a scrapyard and fitted it myself.

ReputationRep:
    If its colour coded they can be horribly expensive. Father had one knocked off and was quoted £300 for a new one in blue, or £90 for two black ones.

I would be inclined to head to your nearest scrappy and get one from there.

ReputationRep:
    Do not want. go scrapyard 4 chp wngmirr tings

ReputationRep:
    That does seem pretty high, but what car is it for. And how old is it?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I didn't realise I forgot to include all the details... it's a silver 2001 ford fiesta but the wing mirrors are just plain black, they're not electrical or heated or anything either.

I'm basically totally hopeless when it comes to cars, and I live away from home so I'd really prefer to go down the garge route, uhh I just don't know.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I hope they're not expenive; I broke mine yeterday :cry:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.