Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, im new to all this uni stuff because ive never relaly considered it and havent read up on much of it.
    im 19 and live in south wales.
    but im interested in some kind of counselling course, which would help with my current job which is mental health.
    so i did a search on the ucas website and found many many courses in different areas.

http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun...tend=&cmbInst=

you can see them here.
    but theres so many, obviously the mental health one springs out a bit.
    but i have no idea what the "qualification" means on the right hand column its just jargon.

am i qualified enough to get into any of the courses?
    i have experiance in counselling, completeling a level 2 course in counselling and mentories, and doing voluntary work in the field of work.
    and currently working with mental health has similiarites in my role.

when i was in college they discussed somthing about ucas points ? do i require these to get into uni ? i think if i remember rightly i had quite a few.

finally, does anyone have any experience of any courses? what course is likely to give me the best job opportunities in the future?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing (sorta) a BSc Hons (Bachelor of science (honours)) degree in counselling psychology. The first year of my course has a LOT of psychology and not much counselling tbh. What I mean is a lot of science and experiments and research etc... but I do also get to understand the theories behind counselling approaches.

Many, if not all, unis in my experience ask for some sort of experience of counselling or caring (I've met quite a few people on my course who were mental health nurses befoe they started).

ReputationRep:
    UCAS points are given for various qualifications. You can read what courses are counted and the points given to them here.

Do you have A levels or equvalent?

ReputationRep:
    I guess the important thing to ask is, what exactly are you looking for?

Are you wanting an undergraduate degree (3 years) or some sort of diploma?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grotbag)
    UCAS points are given for various qualifications. You can read what courses are counted and the points given to them here.

Do you have A levels or equvalent?
    im not sure what are equivalent but from college i picked up,
    health and social care 1st dip - merit
    national public services - pass
    welsh bacc - level 3
    and all of the key skills at level 3

im not sure this is sufficient for anything, but i guess it depends on the course, they dont seem to be demanding too high.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    I guess the important thing to ask is, what exactly are you looking for?

Are you wanting an undergraduate degree (3 years) or some sort of diploma?
    im looking for the highest qualification i can, aslong as its a course which will be heading me into the right direction

i only have level 2, which practised some counselling techniques and base level to learn on.
    but i dont know whats the next step in the qualifcaiton line?

ReputationRep:
    I am edging towards cousnelling and psychology after finding what type of work i am looking to go into.
    this role
    http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/details...lt.aspx?Id=449

they have qualifcation requirments of
    ■Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBS), achieved by completing a BPS accredited degree or conversion course. (See British Psychological Society (BPS) Accredited Psychology Courses for further details.)
    ■A PhD in Counselling Psychology or the BPS Qualification in Counselling Psychology.

but this means nothign to me lol

ReputationRep:
    also, all the courses on the ucas website say their deadline was january 15
    so i cant get into any courses for 2010 now ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thenuts)
    I am edging towards cousnelling and psychology after finding what type of work i am looking to go into.
    this role
    http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/details...lt.aspx?Id=449

they have qualifcation requirments of
    ■Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBS), achieved by completing a BPS accredited degree or conversion course. (See British Psychological Society (BPS) Accredited Psychology Courses for further details.)
    ■A PhD in Counselling Psychology or the BPS Qualification in Counselling Psychology.

but this means nothign to me lol
    A career in Counselling Psychology, aka to become a Counselling Psychologist requires essentially six years of study including an undergraduate and then a doctorate. Realistically, there would be a few years of graduate work in between.

You can, however, become a counsellor (i.e. not a Dr.) by doing a diploma.

And yes, you have missed the deadline for 2010, although you can still apply and hope they consider you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 11, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.