Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by bri_bahamas)
    Hi, international student coming to keele in the fall, accomodation application started today for international undergradutes, but there is no en-suite rooms available this semester for the 37week period. The next best thing would be premier en-suite for 33 weeks(which cost more & i'm not sure where I would stay for easter) or standard room with washbasin for 37weeks(but i really wanted my own bathroom).

What do you think would be a best option? anyone

& yes i do want to live on campus.Also, which block/hall do you think has the smallest number of people sharing because I cant see myself sharing a kitchen and bathroom with up to 25 ppl. I dont mind sharing,but with 25 ppl...geesh a bit much.
    There is 37 week en suite accommodation - I'm living in it atm! However all the 3rd years to be, will probably have nicked it all by now as we have exams over easter and have to have a 37 week rent.

The accommodation people will let you rent a room over easter if you go speak to them, if you want a premier ensuite. Otherwise, you just have to cross your fingers and hope to be placed in somewhere like Lindsay/ Horword Z sheds where you share with about 15/8. However, I think the form only asks you what type of room you want, not which block. There is more people wanting ensuite than there is available but I think there are a certain amount of rooms set aside for internationals.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks. yea 4 to 6 ppl sounds alot better. & im studyin law what about you?
    Kool, so is Keele your first choice university or have you chosen somewhere else too? I'm applied to study Business Mgmt and Pyschology, have you visited Keele?

ReputationRep:
    Its my 1st firm choice & no I have'nt visited & probably wont be able to visit keele before I actually go in sept. What about u?
    So you're an international student right? How come you chose Keele? Yeah I visited it about February time, it seems like a really good university, a bit different to say Leeds or Manchester, but everything is based around the campus so the it's a better atmosphere and everybody seems to know each other so social wise must be great ! I didn't manage to check out the accommodation but most current students seem to agree Lindsay is the best for en suite, so I'll just put that down! Have you already received your accommodation package yet out of interest?

ReputationRep:
    Pros
    - It's pretty! Not only are there loads of trees all over the place there is also Keele woods which is an amazing place which has a river/stream running through it, I love to go there.
    - It's small - so you don't feel like just another student going through an uncaring organisation, you actually get to know people on your course and the lecturers really easily (esp in second year).
    - The dual honours thing is really great if you don't just want to be stuck with one subject, and you can do random combinations like Chemistry and Music if you want.
    - Independent learning is very much the policy which is great if you're really into your course like me, you can research whatever you want and I have never had a problem finding resources in the library. I do History an Politics btw.
    - Some good pubs in Newcastle under Lyme, the Keele Postgraduate Assosciation on campus is pretty nice too but it may be a little intimidating to first years lol.
    - Fairly good places to get food and drink on campus, Union has cheap hot food as long as you don't mind eating it out of a polystyrene thingy lol. There is also a cafe in the Chancellor's Building which is nice, if a little bland as cafes go. If you think Starbucks or Costa Coffee is nice, you'll like it. Disposable tea and coffee can be bought for about £1 - £1.50 depending on what you want from Vite and Eat, also in Chancellor's. Just don't buy sandwiches or anything there because they are ridiculously expensive.

Cons
    - The administration. It is SO bad it's not even funny. Timetables and accommodation have been bad in my experience, they're ruthlessly inflexible and slow. When you get your timetable, for god's sake CHECK IT. You need to look at your subject noticeboard to see when your classes are, the timetables can be (and often are!) wrong.
    - Parking is a nightmare, so don't bring a car.
    - It can be a pain going to supermarkets, you should get a few people together so you can get a taxi back. Don't shop from the Select & Saves on campus - no selection and definitely no savings!
    - We currently have an issue with idiots talking in the silent study areas of the library, the rules aren't too well enforced, but this may be the same at other Unis anyway. You can get individual rooms to study in which are good. I thought they'd be like prison cells but they're actually not; they have windows and are generally decent.
    - A lot of the buildings and decor around campus is a bit old and tired looking, and some of the lecture halls are in serious need of being improved. This was especially the case in Hornbeam (now the Pharmacy building) but they have renovated that building and it's new and shiny now!

So overall I would definitely recommend Keele!
    I can't really comment on the "nightlife" because I don't know how to distinguish "good" nights from "bad" ones, I don't enjoy that kind of thing in general. But it's more to do with the people you meet anyway, and you will meet some cool people. A lot of Stokies (locals) go to the Uni and they're generally a good laugh and really friendly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blueflare)
    Pros
    - It's pretty! Not only are there loads of trees all over the place there is also Keele woods which is an amazing place which has a river/stream running through it, I love to go there.
    - It's small - so you don't feel like just another student going through an uncaring organisation, you actually get to know people on your course and the lecturers really easily (esp in second year).
    - The dual honours thing is really great if you don't just want to be stuck with one subject, and you can do random combinations like Chemistry and Music if you want.
    - Independent learning is very much the policy which is great if you're really into your course like me, you can research whatever you want and I have never had a problem finding resources in the library. I do History an Politics btw.
    - Some good pubs in Newcastle under Lyme, the Keele Postgraduate Assosciation on campus is pretty nice too but it may be a little intimidating to first years lol.
    - Fairly good places to get food and drink on campus, Union has cheap hot food as long as you don't mind eating it out of a polystyrene thingy lol. There is also a cafe in the Chancellor's Building which is nice, if a little bland as cafes go. If you think Starbucks or Costa Coffee is nice, you'll like it. Disposable tea and coffee can be bought for about £1 - £1.50 depending on what you want from Vite and Eat, also in Chancellor's. Just don't buy sandwiches or anything there because they are ridiculously expensive.

Cons
    - The administration. It is SO bad it's not even funny. Timetables and accommodation have been bad in my experience, they're ruthlessly inflexible and slow. When you get your timetable, for god's sake CHECK IT. You need to look at your subject noticeboard to see when your classes are, the timetables can be (and often are!) wrong.
    - Parking is a nightmare, so don't bring a car.
    - It can be a pain going to supermarkets, you should get a few people together so you can get a taxi back. Don't shop from the Select & Saves on campus - no selection and definitely no savings!
    - We currently have an issue with idiots talking in the silent study areas of the library, the rules aren't too well enforced, but this may be the same at other Unis anyway. You can get individual rooms to study in which are good. I thought they'd be like prison cells but they're actually not; they have windows and are generally decent.
    - A lot of the buildings and decor around campus is a bit old and tired looking, and some of the lecture halls are in serious need of being improved. This was especially the case in Hornbeam (now the Pharmacy building) but they have renovated that building and it's new and shiny now!

So overall I would definitely recommend Keele!
    I can't really comment on the "nightlife" because I don't know how to distinguish "good" nights from "bad" ones, I don't enjoy that kind of thing in general. But it's more to do with the people you meet anyway, and you will meet some cool people. A lot of Stokies (locals) go to the Uni and they're generally a good laugh and really friendly.
    Thanks so much for That. Really comprehensive. Could you perhaps expand on the car situation?
    Do you ever feel lonely and isolated in Keele?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ECullen)
    Thanks so much for That. Really comprehensive. Could you perhaps expand on the car situation?
    Do you ever feel lonely and isolated in Keele?
    I don't know that much about the car situation because I've never had a car at Uni. I just know it's really tricky to park most of the time, and don't ever park somewhere you're not supposed to because Keele have an entire brigade of traffic wardens at their disposal lol.
    Edit: There are different rules if you're a med student or you have to go on placements, or disabled. I think Keele sometimes excempts people from permits if they really need a car.
    The buses are alright anyway, they're a little infrequent in the evenings and weekends but during the day they are easy.

I have felt lonely and isolated but that was because I suffer from bouts of depression, I really don't think it was to do with Keele specifically.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Blueflare)
    You not discovered the wonders of Tesco delivery yet? It's cheaper than the taxi fare AND you don't have to carry the heavy stuff back home. It's what we do in my flat at least!

And Hornbeam is so much nicer since they did the refurbishment. Not as crazily hot in the lecture room any more

As for parking, just get a motorbike like me :p: My friends living in Stoke drive in, but actually the car situation has got better whilst I've been here, believe it or not! You won't be allowed a car on campus unless you have a medical need/placement/live off campus/pay £3 a day/ are a 2nd year or 3rd year currently as they are phasing parking for those on campus out. TBH, I didn't really need my bike until I started volunteering/my project at the hospital and even then there is buses pretty much everywhere you need.

Edited to add in stuff about parking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Major Spoiler)
    I think your mileage may vary on this one; there are some brilliant lecturers in there. You've clearly never had a lecture with Miroslav Spasov. :p:
    He is an amazing guy.

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 13 Oct '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.