Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how often is ok for eating junk when trying to lose weight watch

ReputationRep:
    eat less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    lol i dont have the money to be buying greggs every day tbh
    If money is the issue then why are you talking about buying a packet of crisps which costs 1 pound when you can get nearly a kilo of frozen veg for the same price?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_Scarlett)
    I find, the closer you are to your target weight, the harder it is to lose though...so I have to make a little more effort.

And yes, everyone is different but the basic principle remains the same; you must consume less than you expend.
    yeah ive heard a lot of people say the last few lbs are the hardest, i know someone whos lost about 4 stone and shes been struggling with the last half a stone for the past 3 months, even though she does a **** load of exercise, i told her when you hit your plateau thats when you need to mix it up

(Original post by LouisVuitton43)
    OP, i lost 2 stone in 5 months, and have kept it off.

yes everyones different but on a basic rule you shouldnt really eat alot of carbs and junk food.

im not trying to be nasty like some people on this thread, saying your stupid or that, but aiming toward reducing fat content more than calories is actually more useful... (within a calorie limit obviously, and tbh 2000 seems alot, even for your BM thingy... (cant remember what you called it, and cba looking up :P: )

what i did was have a treat once a week or so, (two or three on your period, its only natural :P )
    and choose more meat over carbs.

loosing weight slowly isnt always benefitial, you can loose weight at a faster rate and keep it off, just as long as your diet doesnt go back to greggs and that straight after you should be fine

and also, snack on fruit and veg, carrots and melon or whatever you like

im going to be honest though,
    if you are just going to make up stories in your head, like ohh i can eat junk because my weight/ calorie allowance you arent going to loose much weight.

have a goal, stick to it. and get through your weight productively, not just by negotiating with your mind on how much crap you can pump into your system without feeling guilty. feel guitly. it works.

/long post. sorry

i know people who have a cheat day OR meal a week and they still lose, like i say different things work for different people, i appreciate that cutting all junk works for you but it simply does not work for me, i can stick to a everything in moderation type diet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuestionForMod)
    If money is the issue then why are you talking about buying a packet of crisps which costs 1 pound when you can get a nearly a kilo of frozen veg for the same price?

i get veg anyway as i love it

theres also a difference between £1 for a bag of crisps once a week and a fiver a day on greggs

ReputationRep:

i know people who have a cheat day OR meal a week and they still lose, like i say different things work for different people

again with the excuses. find out whats right for you, and stick to that. if you only lose like 0.5 - 1 lb a week then you kind of need to rethink your diet. if you can loose 3lb with a cheat day meal thing then fine, if you dont eat less and get on with the exercise. dont think about other people. and again, dont make up excuses in your head. honestly. its going to get you nowhere.

and EDIT: lost 2 stone in 3 months. and slowly loosing more (over the last 6 months) // (more like a pound every two weeks, but after my goal weight :yes: )

ReputationRep:
    find out whats right for you,
    i could swear ive already said having a cheat day does work for me :confused:

ReputationRep:
    again with the excuses. find out whats right for you, and stick to that. if you only lose like 0.5 - 1 lb a week then you kind of need to rethink your diet. if you can loose 3lb with a cheat day meal thing then fine, if you dont eat less and get on with the exercise. dont think about other people. and again, dont make up excuses in your head. honestly. its going to get you nowhere.

and EDIT: lost 2 stone in 3 months. and slowly loosing more (over the last 6 months) // (more like a pound every two weeks, but after my goal weight :yes: )
    Absolute congrats, its real hard work to do that!

ReputationRep:

clearly not if youve lost.... what was it :confused: 5 pounds in something weeks/months.

dont remember. but still. clearly not.

ReputationRep:
    I know that response wasn't to me...but I guess it depends on what you mean by cheat day? There is some evidence to suggest that if you have a small treat you are less likely to become disheartened, fed up and fall off of the wagon.

Having said that, I already made up my mind that for me, treats are not a good idea. Especially as you dont really have that much weight to lose, its harder so its going to require more effort...Im not sure there is room for cheats in that. Then again I dont know what your body does when dieting :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Absolute congrats, its real hard work to do that!

thanks
    it is difficult. but if youre commited to changing your life and actually liking whats in the mirror then you have to make sacrifices.
    :p:

ReputationRep:
    clearly not if youve lost.... what was it :confused: 5 pounds in something weeks/months.

dont remember. but still. clearly not.

god you clearly havnt been reading

for one thing i lost almost a stone, secondly i wasnt eating healthy AT ALL during that time :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i get veg anyway as i love it

theres also a difference between £1 for a bag of crisps once a week and a fiver a day on greggs
    I know, there is also a difference between actually trying to get fit and just talking about it, how you just wanted a packet of crisps and you wanted people to tell you it is ok to eat junk food. Maybe professional body builders do have meals where they eat junk food, but they also exercise and train hard, unlike you with your plans to do press up against the wall (by the way how did you figure this would help at all) because your knees hurt so you can't do proper press ups. Futhermore instead of making excuses (such as not being able to listen to spotify...it is called an mp3, or because you can't run in the winter, clothes wear them they keep you warm) to avoid going outside to run because you don't like people watching you while your fat sloshes around as you move your tremendous frame, why don't you just suck it up and do it? Because you are too busy talking about it and justifying why you shouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    I know that response wasn't to me...but I guess it depends on what you mean by cheat day? There is some evidence to suggest that if you have a small treat you are less likely to become disheartened, fed up and fall off of the wagon.

Having said that, I already made up my mind that for me, treats are not a good idea. Especially as you dont really have that much weight to lose, its harder so its going to require more effort...Im not sure there is room for cheats in that. Then again I dont know what your body does when dieting :confused:
    by cheat day i just mean not being as strict as i am during the week, i dont mean im going to go and eat 5000 cals or anything like that

but im going to have the cheat day on a sat when i go to my parents house, i am not going to expect my parents to go out and buy veggies/chicken and then cook them so we usually just pick up a sandwich and a bag of crisps or say like if a fancy a pizza, have one on my cheat day (not take away)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuestionForMod)
    I know, there is also a difference between actually trying to get fit and just talking about it, how you just wanted a packet of crisps and you wanted people to tell you it is ok to eat junk food. Maybe professional body builders do have meals where they eat junk food, but they also exercise and train hard, unlike you with your plans to do press up against the wall (by the way how did you figure this would help at all) because your knees hurt so you can't do proper press ups. Futhermore instead of making excuses (such as not being able to listen to spotify...it is called an mp3, or because you can't run in the winter, clothes wear them they keep you warm) to avoid going outside to run because you don't like people watching you while your fat sloshes around as you move your tremendous frame, why don't you just suck it up and do it? Because you are too busy talking about it and justifying why you shouldn't.

enough said.

ReputationRep:
    god you clearly havnt been reading

for one thing i lost almost a stone, secondly i wasnt eating healthy AT ALL during that time :rolleyes:

right. to the point:
    when youre fat, its easy to loose weight.
    as you loose weight, and you get down to your "comfort zone" it gets harder and harder to loose weight.

YOU NEED TO ALTER YOUR DIET TO COMPENSATE.

not your brain.
    you dont need to make up things in your head saying that you can loose weight by eating piza and crisps once a week/ day w/e.
    cos in reality, to get out your normal zone and to get down to a heality weight you need to make more sacrifices.
    read ANY diet magazine book leaflet and it will tell you more or less the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    yeah im talking about it and not doing it, i havnt been exercising all week twice a day or eating healthy all week, nah not at all :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    right. to the point:
    when youre fat, its easy to loose weight.
    as you loose weight, and you get down to your "comfort zone" it gets harder and harder to loose weight.

YOU NEED TO ALTER YOUR DIET TO COMPENSATE.

not your brain.
    you dont need to make up things in your head saying that you can loose weight by eating piza and crisps once a week/ day w/e.
    cos in reality, to get out your normal zone and to get down to a heality weight you need to make more sacrifices.
    read ANY diet magazine book leaflet and it will tell you more or less the same thing.
    you are getting ahead of yourself a bit, im not near my 'comfort' weight, i dont even know what that is yet

and i am aware that i will have to adjust my diet again as i lose weight :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    yeah im talking about it and not doing it, i havnt been exercising all week twice a day or eating healthy all week, nah not at all :rolleyes:
    Wall push ups =/= exercise
    Eating healthy all week, keep it that way then, instead of obsessing over a packet of crisps.

ReputationRep:
    im having a cheat day, end of

and yes wall push ups are the only thing i do :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    if youre not near your comfort weight then you should be exercising hard! not as low calorie intake isnt needed, but the lower it is, the faster youll get there!

BUT since youre not near youre target weight then the faster you loose it the better.

no?

or you no. keep kidding yourself. keep eating crap. loose weight uber slow.
    then get bored and start eatin more and more crisps....

up to you i suppose.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 28, 2010
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.