Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm interested in knowing if there are any joint Ph.D./MPhil/MD programs specializing in the field of Public Health and/or Epidemiology in the city of London? As of yet, I see Imperial has the program but admission is limited to a select few of international students for their 4/5 yr. program. I'm trying to persuade my sister to come to London with me for school since she loved the city when we visited last Sept.

My sister has a BA in Mathematics, MSPH in Epidemiology, and is current working in the Public Health field. She is applying for medical school in the US but on the chance there is a similar program in London she is willing to apply also. One more question: Does graduate medical programs in the UK accept a MCAT score?

Thank you to anyone who is willing to share their insight.

ReputationRep:
    For starters, the UK medical degree is a Bachelors (MBChB or MBBS), not an MD. All degrees leading to the role of a medical doctor are undergraduate degrees, but there are undergraduate programs designed for people who already hold a degree (GEM - graduate entry medicine).

UCL (University College of London) runs a MBChB-PhD program which is 9 years long and gives you a PhD and your medical degree. I'm not sure what subjects the PhD is limited to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    For starters, the UK medical degree is a Bachelors (MBChB or MBBS), not an MD. All degrees leading to the role of a medical doctor are undergraduate degrees, but there are undergraduate programs designed for people who already hold a degree (GEM - graduate entry medicine).

UCL (University College of London) runs a MBChB-PhD program which is 9 years long and gives you a PhD and your medical degree. I'm not sure what subjects the PhD is limited to.
    Thank you. I will check out UCL.

ReputationRep:

Um...just nitpicking :p: but you get an MB PhD and it takes 8 years as it's a fast track route. You can also apply into it if you are a student at any other UK medical school and do an intercalated degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydromancer)
    Um...just nitpicking :p: but you get an MB PhD and it takes 8 years as it's a fast track route. You can also apply into it if you are a student at any other UK medical school and do an intercalated degree.
    Can you direct me to a particular link on the website? I'm finding it difficult to locate it on the UCL site. Also, I'm interested in how to do an "intercalated degree?"

P.S. Thank you for replying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AliciaJ703)
    Can you direct me to a particular link on the website? I'm finding it difficult to locate it on the UCL site. Also, I'm interested in how to do an "intercalated degree?"

An intercalated degree is a year taken in the middle of your normal 5 year medical course to do the final year of a BSc, or occasionally a BA. So you graduate with your MBChB/MBBS and a BSc(hons).

ReputationRep:

There is no 'way', the iBsc is compulsary at some point unless you have good reason, financial, graduate or compassionate. The normal course gives you MBBS Bsc. The 8 year PhD courses are MBBS Bsc PhD, although funding for PhD places is golddust.

The iBsc pages might be limited access, (I can see them) but theres a whole variety from neuroscience to cell pathology to public health and medical anthropology.

ReputationRep:
    Some med schools dont accept degrees from unis outside the UK/ maybe EU for GEP/graduate courses, so check that too!

ReputationRep:
    An intercalated degree is a year taken in the middle of your normal 5 year medical course to do the final year of a BSc, or occasionally a BA. So you graduate with your MBChB/MBBS and a BSc(hons).
    I see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    There is no 'way', the iBsc is compulsary at some point unless you have good reason, financial, graduate or compassionate. The normal course gives you MBBS Bsc. The 8 year PhD courses are MBBS Bsc PhD, although funding for PhD places is golddust.

The iBsc pages might be limited access, (I can see them) but theres a whole variety from neuroscience to cell pathology to public health and medical anthropology.
    Well, my sister already has a BA and MSPH in Epidemiology, she just wants to study for a Ph.D./MPhil/MBBS joint degree. Can the 8 year period be shorten if the applicant already has a bachelor's and master's degree? Regarding funding, my sister will likely try to acquire loans from the US and possible scholarships offered for international students at the prospective school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lost_Cause)
    Some med schools dont accept degrees from unis outside the UK/ maybe EU for GEP/graduate courses, so check that too!
    Ok, thanks for the info. Right now, I'm checking out Imperial and UCL. Thank you for replying.

ReputationRep:
    I had a quick look round on UCL's website, seemed quite interesting, here's the link:

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/mbphd/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazy_smurf)
    I had a quick look round on UCL's website, seemed quite interesting, here's the link:

Thank you so much. I'm looking into it now.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much. I'm looking into it now.
    Your welcome

I was just wondering, what is the difference between doing and MBBS and ibsc course, and then doing a phd afterwards? Is it simple that at UCL the combined course is 8 years and not 9 if the Phd is done seperately?

ReputationRep:
    Your welcome

I was just wondering, what is the difference between doing and MBBS and ibsc course, and then doing a phd afterwards? Is it simple that at UCL the combined course is 8 years and not 9 if the Phd is done seperately?
    I believe the Ph.D. component might be a more theoritical portion of the joint program for a particular area. It seems the combined/joint program can be completed even in 5 years if the applicant already has a bachelor's degree. I'm still figuring it all out. :o: No expert.

ReputationRep:
    Erm...

MBBS = 4/5 years
    PhD = 3 years (if you are lucky)

Trying to do both in 5 years will be impossible, I do not believe a masters will shorten the programme by any length.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bloody_student)
    Erm...

MBBS = 4/5 years
    PhD = 3 years (if you are lucky)

Trying to do both in 5 years will be impossible, I do not believe a masters will shorten the programme by any length.
    Ok - my mistake. Thanks for clarifying. :yes:

ReputationRep:

That program (wrt the Oxbridge transfer program) sounds like a match made in heaven. :drool:

ReputationRep:
    Your welcome

If you're saying why you can get the MBPhD in 8 years, well, you sacrifice your summer(s) and you work your balls off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    If you're saying why you can get the MBPhD in 8 years, well, you sacrifice your summer(s) and you work your balls off.
    No, what i was saying was, why not do the MBBS and bsc (normal six year course), then do a seperate Phd somewhere else. Then you'd had the freedom of choosing any university and you'd still come out with 3 degrees (alebeit 9 years right?)

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.