Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Found some more information about this on here: http://www.e-architect.co.uk/england...k_building.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    Found some more information about this on here: http://www.e-architect.co.uk/england...k_building.htm
    :holmes:

Looks like 16 to a floor with 4 floors and 8 'halves' = 512 rooms less a few for disabled rooms. Glass walkway looks interesting. Knowing the university with Heronbank and Lakeside they will have 8 to a kitchen (rather than 16) and make it ensuite, and given the location they'll be tempted to make it 30 week lets.
    It's flats they are ensuite and the number of bedrooms 4, 6, 7 and 8 in each 'arm' of the x on the ground floor and 8 in each flat on all other floors. Each flat has one twin room for some reason and each block has an integral launderette.

And I swear I was on the field opposite Old Rootes in March and I didn't see any work started yet. Perhaps there are building them in stages.

One of the other shortlisted entry looks very Rootes-esque, but that hole with water in it looks very unsafe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)

LOve how fake colour makes the Rootes lake look like a tropical pool instead of the aids pond it is :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTallOne)
    :holmes:

And I swear I was on the field opposite Old Rootes in March and I didn't see any work started yet. Perhaps there are building them in stages.
    They started a couple of weeks ago. I went back to my room, looked out the window and 'nooooooooooooooo!'

ReputationRep:
    From some other sources on 'nterwebs, it's about 480 rooms

ReputationRep:
    Other news:
    http://planning.coventry.gov.uk/port...et?PKID=700655
    http://planning.coventry.gov.uk/port...et?PKID=701275

JM 3 is set to get the lift shaft it wanted - planning approved in January. Claycroft 2 has a lift heading its way as well, both have three years to build it so maybe they will have it in place for 2010/11.

EDIT: Also planning page for the new accommodation is here

ReputationRep:
    Bizarre so there are separate tiny warden houses? Regulation power = zero > Banter!(sic)

ReputationRep:
    Haha WHY do they need lifts?! Seriously, CC2 has a ground floor, first floor and second floor. It's not like it's got a fifth floor or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgia)
    Haha WHY do they need lifts?! Seriously, CC2 has a ground floor, first floor and second floor. It's not like it's got a fifth floor or something.
    It's such a life saver on moving out day (perhaps more useful in JM as we have 30 week lets) if you live on the top floor. And I suppose we are paying for it.

Chrrye: interesting documents seems to be http://planning.coventry.gov.uk/port...ageName=792489 and http://planning.coventry.gov.uk/port...ageName=792490

Interesting that there is an 'underground' section in B and D where there is an additional flat.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting that there is an 'underground' section in B and D where there is an additional flat.
    I dont think its underground per say, isnt it just the way the land lies, they can fit another one in? Like building a house on a hill, you can have more floors one side than t'other?

Anyway, my housemate did some work for the building planners at Warwick, and you'd be amazed whats being built over the next few years. Biggest problem is going to be powering it all, they buy as much as they are allowed from the Grid, and the generators will be at or near capacity when the new buildings go up.

They have started on the ones behind Rootes, and on the new science block. Mud all over the road, fine in the dry but you cant do the roundabout on Gibbet Hill Rd anywhere near as fast as you used to. Its just too slippy to swing the bike/car back in again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riderz)
    I dont think its underground per say, isnt it just the way the land lies, they can fit another one in? Like building a house on a hill, you can have more floors one side than t'other?

Anyway, my housemate did some work for the building planners at Warwick, and you'd be amazed whats being built over the next few years. Biggest problem is going to be powering it all, they buy as much as they are allowed from the Grid, and the generators will be at or near capacity when the new buildings go up.

They have started on the ones behind Rootes, and on the new science block. Mud all over the road, fine in the dry but you cant do the roundabout on Gibbet Hill Rd anywhere near as fast as you used to. Its just too slippy to swing the bike/car back in again.
    It will be a bit strange that you need you go down some stairs from the main entrance to access some of the rooms.

I've seen the masterplan What did surprise me was the shape of the buildings (X) compared to what was laid out, along with the number. There are two wardens buildings, but they are tiny compared to the other four :p:

ReputationRep:
    It will be a bit strange that you need you go down some stairs from the main entrance to access some of the rooms.
    I block in Rootes is actually already like this if youv ever been in there. ******* weird building that

ReputationRep:
    I'm a finalist and will graduate this summer, so I will never see the new accom!

Looks like an interesting plan though. Isn't it on that bit between Tocil and Whitefields? Where that big white tent was before, it's all flattened now and theres a sign saying bluebell views or something xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_Scarlet)
    Isn't it on that bit between Tocil and Whitefields? Where that big white tent was before, it's all flattened now and theres a sign saying bluebell views or something xD
    No, see above. Rootes field

ReputationRep:
    odd, so why is there a sign there saying that Wonder what that is for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_Scarlet)
    odd, so why is there a sign there saying that Wonder what that is for.
    It's to direct workers to the right part of the site. Health Centre Road is for buildings A and B, while by Car Park 2 off Gibbet Hill Road there's access for the site offices and buildings C and D.

ReputationRep:
    it's soo noisy! and the floors in rootes keep vibrating lol. i get too hot so open my window, then cant work so close it again,and go round and round in circles

ReputationRep:
    Update 30th April 2010

'The site for Blocks A and B (behind Rootes M-P) is now well established with access roads, tree protection and satellite offices in place. Substructure works to the blocks are ongoing with the foundations to Block B particularly well advanced. On the site for Blocks C and D (behind Rootes D-H) the newt fencing and perimeter hoardings have been erected and the alterations to Car Park 2 completed to form the separate contractors access. Site strip and setting out works have commenced together with the construction of access roads. Set up of the full site offices is ongoing.

Looking forward May will see further progress on the substructures on both sites coupled with the installation of drainage. The end of the month should see the erection of the first tower crane on block B.'

ReputationRep:
    yeah, Amazing how fast the Warwick Uni $ galvanises building work to an incredible pace when it smells +500 rents next year :p:

ReputationRep:
    News: They plan on building what basically seems to be a massive greenhouse round the back of the Digi Lab. Plants, seed stores, refrigeration units and a compost bin. Apparently the Plant Sciences building - HRI to move to campus??

New lift to be installed in AV1 this summer.

Costcutter's going to have a small expansion into the loading bay because they need more cold storage.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 6, 2012
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Oct '18
  2. University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.