Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What to do if you think a teacher is marking work unfairly? watch

ReputationRep:
    A teacher at my college, the course co ordinator is being blatantly biased in favour of those with left wing political views. Yesterday we were in social policy class learning the evil of Margaret Thatcher. Those who agree with everything she says get work that would only had been given a pass given back to them to improve and get given tips on how to get a better mark while those of us who already had our own views prior to starting the course and so might disagree with her opinions get holes picked in our work and dirty tricks such as her saying to give her your work to check before handing it in and then her marking it as tho youd handed it in so it has mistakes that would have been rectified had it been proof read which is what you intended to do after she checked it.

A few people in the class have annoyed her now by saying things such as "well thats one opinion" at the end of her marxist feminist lectures.

Another person came in having been given a perfectly valid opposing view by her mum and was told, in the tone of one who is addressing someone who has failed to understand why your right due to you using to many words of more than one sylable, that Margaret Thatcher was wrong and thats just a fact.

The other day I was told in a roundabout way to keep my views to myself because she knows that I could quite easily flatten her in debate. Im thinking what I may do is sit quiet in class and see if she changes her attitude and if she does not thats what Ill do.

I find it difficult to believe that professionals, all be it at a 4th rate college, behave in this way. Sure if someones views were beyond the pale there might be some case but her views are so extreme that anyone right of old labour is getting it. I cant believe she has such little grasp of the concept of this being a society where disagreements over such things as politics are tolerated and debated.

Has anyone else experienced this or have I just been very unlucky?

ReputationRep:
    Well if her personal view is reflected in her marking, there's not much you can do about it? (Maybe there is, actually, but I just don't know) Just be happy that she won't be marking your exam papers?

ReputationRep:
    i'd talk to another teacher about it... is there like a Head of Year or someone at your college who you can talk to about issues like this? i dont think its fair at all and you should definitely try and do something about it!

ReputationRep:
    Haha she's right you know :awesome: Haha, I'm not that extreme. She shouldn't be voicing her views like that in class. There's nothing wrong with a bit of banter between teachers and students in politics, heck, we do it ALL the time in my politics class, but my teacher knows where to draw the line. And from what you have said, she isn't marking your work unfairly, just treating people differently when it does come to marking, which is unfair, but you either suck it up and write damn good essays according to the spec, or you go to someone higher up and complain about it. Either way, good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    Well if her personal view is reflected in her marking, there's not much you can do about it? (Maybe there is, actually, but I just don't know) Just be happy that she won't be marking your exam papers?
    Hence im getting good marks in the exams.

She's also telling lies to people. The essays are checked randomly by the moderator and not all sent off to them like the exams are and she's now making out that they are all checked by the moderators.

One guy who goes in a Che Guevara T shirt sometimes comes back in with his work saying "she's given me it back to change, I think she's after me getting a distinction". Others dont get there work back to change. We get told that they only get taught what they need for a pass and learning stuff beyond that is up to them. She gives some people loads of help and at others snaps "im busy".

The problem is its a very small college that only runs this and about two other courses and there are only three teachers there two of whom are marxist feminists and with it being so small the staff are all friends. There was another who was really good but he didnt last very long.

ReputationRep:
    Teachers shouldn't be doing that, and that's why there are mark scheme's to be followed. Go to her sector leader/faculty head or Senior Tutor, Vice Priniciple?

ReputationRep:
    As long as your actual exams are being marked fairly then there shouldn't be anything to worry about. If you are really that bothered then talk to your head of year or parents about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mito)
    As long as your actual exams are being marked fairly then there shouldn't be anything to worry about. If you are really that bothered then talk to your head of year or parents about it.
    say the OP was ill for exam? The predicted grade would be taken, which would be unfair.

ReputationRep:
    Essays, research proposals and the like make up a good ammount of the final mark.

Its a crap college. Nobody has ever failed the course they state proudly. We have a 100% sucsess rate you know. The reason they have a 100% sucsess rate at people getting basic passes is because they have a lesson prior to the exams where they tell people exactly what the questions are going to be and then get them to memorise the answers. Then anyone who still fails gets re sit and whatever happens with that we dont know because theyre told "if anyone asks be very vague".

I wouldent actually mind any of that but when she's making sure people who arnet up to it get the same mark that im being demoted to in my essays and reserch proposal (but not exams) by dirty tricks and then deciding who should get the number of top marks that people can get without it looking dodgy I get annoyed.

The research proposal is the work I gave to her to check and that she then reckoned id handed in. If she marks me down for the stuff that wouldve obviously been rectified had it been proof read i'll explain this to her and see what she says.

Im not alone in thinking this. "I think theres some politics going on" were the mutterings among the class as she gave out the marks on the last round of essays.

ReputationRep:
    Its shocked me tbh. I expected that debate would be encouraged. It never even crossed my mind that college tutors would behave like this. Had it done I may well have adopted marxist views as far as the course went since what the class think my views are isnt exactly at the top of the list of my priorities.

The moderators are in this week and I know a lot of people arnet happy about a few things. Ill play it by ear.

If this is a problem that happens often then those who have authority over teachers need to make it very clear that there is no place for political bias in the marking of work and treatment of students.

ReputationRep:
    I dont know, but I suspect that the reason the moderators are in this week is that someones complained. At very least im going to ask them what work is sent to them to be checked and what isnt since tutors are telling different people different things.

ReputationRep:
    The moderators wernet in today. She gave me my mark for that reserch proposal and when I explianed that I gave her it to check and she informed me that I only need a pass. She checked everyone elses and then when I give her mine she just marks it without giving me the help she gave everyone else. It wasnt finished I gave it to her to check if I was doing it right!

Why do I only need a pass? I need the best mark I can get to get to the best uni I can get to. Im gonna wait until I get an offer asking for more than a pass and go and see the deputy head because this is so unfair. Im so upset.

ReputationRep:
    I have an offer at university now and they want 60% at distinction so when she gives me back that reserch proposal im gonna go to the deputy head and explain that it wasnt finished which will be prett obvious considering it wasnt even spell checked

ReputationRep:
    Im going to make a complaint about this college, bowling college in Bradford, west yorkshire. The course tutor is helping some people cheat and then telling them not to tell anyone and in doing so creating webs of lies and ridiculous situations. On Thursday people found out about how she was helping this one guy cheat through no fault of his (someone just happened to look through his work) and she started being really nasty to him resulting in him leaving the course.

The whole college is a piss take with teachers that can't teach who then try to cover this up by cheating.

ReputationRep:
    Can this be moved to the mature student forum please?

ReputationRep:
    I searched google as I have the same problem as the poster and wanted to know how to resolve it. This post came up in search so I clicked on it. I read the forum astounded as the posters situation sounded identical to my own. Imagine my complete and utter shcok when I scrolled to the bottom post, only to find he was talking about MY ACTUAL college...THE VERY SAME ONE! :eek:

I can only confirm that everyhing he said was true. Although I would urge you to change your username as you are easily identifyable from it!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.