Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm a second year English student at the University of Lincoln. In September I'm going to apply to do my secondary PGCE starting in 2011. I'm loving CCCU and the University of Cumbria because they do English with drama and media 11-18.

I'm currently doing a placement at a secondary special school in Lincoln and signed up for the students associates scheme at Bishop Grossteste College. The course leader pushed me into doing primary as I'm male and they want more men in primary schools. I asked him would this affect my chances at a secondary PGCE. He said no but I've emailed a few places and they seem to think it does. Lincoln university don't have links with local secondary schools (I live here anyway full time) so I'm at a complete loss. I emailed him and got a *****y repsonse back saying he'll do what he can. Can anyone give me some advice please........

ReputationRep:
    Don't be pressured into doing the primary PGCE if that's not what you want to do. Being male may make university providers a little more keen to take you on, but when it comes to getting a job schools aren't going to favour you because you're male.
    I'm not sure what you are referring to when you mention affecting your chances at a secondary PGCE - doing the SAS at primary level or being male? Either way, you won't be discriminated against.

ReputationRep:
    hey, what I meant by affecting my chances at a secondary PGCE was doing to primary SAS, its all good experience but I did feel really pressured at the interview to do it. I have got some experience with the special secondary school placement but not sure if thats enough. Thanks though!!

ReputationRep:
    If you want to do a secondary PGCE then you really need to get experience. Even if you carry on with the primary SAS and get extra experience in secondary schools this will be better. You can still learn valuable experiences from primary schools but secondary experience will be a requirement.

To be honest, I'd tell him that if I wanted to be a primary teacher I would have taken that degree... and demand that you want to swap. don't be forced into anything. Even if it means reapplying so that you'll be happier.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, would my current placement in a special secondary school still count towards a PGCE application as valid experience in the 11-18 area???

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.