Turn on thread page Beta

Is A level history a hard A level? watch

ReputationRep:
    A level history is nither hard or easy it all come down to how answer the question and what you know. I found this year exam easy but some of my friends found the exam hard. My view is that it is a good exam to take.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brasil85)
    A level history is nither hard or easy it all come down to how answer the question and what you know. I found this year exam easy but some of my friends found the exam hard. My view is that it is a good exam to take.
    Where was the point in that post? Or any of your posts to be precise?

That is precisely why I won't be taking it. Essay subjects are too stressful. No matter how good you are, you might get a question that doesn't suit you on the day and you'll do badly. There's always an element of luck involved.

ReputationRep:
    After a took my Gcse my housemaster asked me what I was going to take in my As levels. He told me that you stood more chance of getting a A grade maths than in History.

ReputationRep:
    The convenience of the high trees!
    The air's buoyancy and the sun's rays
    Are the advantage to me;
    And the earth's face upward for my inspection.

ReputationRep:
    It is generally considered to be a hard a-level and I would agree. Good essays are not usually easy to write in exams and especially at A2 history requires well structured essays which analyse and develop themes. In my experience, these skills are difficult to develop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Potter)
    That is precisely why I won't be taking it. Essay subjects are too stressful. No matter how good you are, you might get a question that doesn't suit you on the day and you'll do badly. There's always an element of luck involved.
    Essay subjects?

I do GCSE History and I like it, I don't find the essays hard to do at all because they're always easy to structure and once you know what points to put in they're easy.

I hate English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    once you know what points to put in they're easy
    I agree, but sometimes that is the hardest bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ted Hughes)
    The convenience of the high trees!
    The air's buoyancy and the sun's rays
    Are the advantage to me;
    And the earth's face upward for my inspection.
    i did that

hawk roosting!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately mike has no innate essay writing ability, being a diligent mediocrity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    Unfortunately mike has no innate essay writing ability, being a diligent mediocrity.
    What about you? Are you good at writing essays?

ReputationRep:
    I am, but that it besides the point. Many many many pupils write better essays than mikesgt2, this is a fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    I am, but that it besides the point. Many many many pupils write better essays than mikesgt2, this is a fact.
    Essays isnt the be all and end all. He might be a very good mathematician. And don't need to write essays.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure, but I'm only talking about his essays right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    I'm sure, but I'm only talking about his essays right now.
    Fine. I was just pointing out a theory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    Essay subjects?

I do GCSE History and I like it, I don't find the essays hard to do at all because they're always easy to structure and once you know what points to put in they're easy.

I hate English.
    GCSE history is piss easy and you don't really need to know a lot, A level is so much harder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    GCSE history is piss easy and you don't really need to know a lot, A level is so much harder.
    I thought they were the same from what I've heard!

ReputationRep:
    a level history is ok if u work hard enough at it and learn the stuff like every subject. and of the a level is harder than gcse there wouldnt be much point in doing it otherwise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    I thought they were the same from what I've heard!
    A level requires so much more background reading, far more to learn, far more complicated essays. It is like other A levels, but for example in the source questions, you are supposed to use the source to point you in the right direction, quote it (it wont be really relevant). It is far harder at A level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    A level requires so much more background reading, far more to learn, far more complicated essays. It is like other A levels, but for example in the source questions, you are supposed to use the source to point you in the right direction, quote it (it wont be really relevant). It is far harder at A level.
    Hmmm, they certainly didn't tell me that on the prospectus...

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.